It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lesbian Divorce Rates - Why are they so high?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 10:43 PM
link   
It's not hard to find statistics that show lesbian women are at much higher risk than both gay married couples and heterosexual couples for divorce.

What I find interesting is that lesbians consistently have much higher divorce rates than gay men and heterosexual couples.

Who? What? Where? Why? When? -do lesbians have such significant relational issues that they nearly double those of both gay and heterosexual couples in terms of divorce?

Whatever the reasoning is; it seems obvious that relationships that involve men are less prone to breakups - whether gay or hetero.

So why do lesbians have such a hard time sustaining a longterm relationship? Is it because they lack biological components of males? Is it because they place more expectations on each other than male/female relations?

Further, what is it about relationships that either are inclusive or semi-inclusive of males that derives lower seperation/divorce rates?

The odd bit is; from all marriages - gay men seem to have the lowest divorce rates while lesbians have the highest, and heterosexual couples land in the middle. WTF...

Is there something innately wrong with today's femininity that men don't want to touch them, or should men just ignore the cover of sports illustrated in lieu of a mirror?

gay couples divorce rate wiki

Belgium

between 2004 and 2009, lesbian divorce rates were nearly double of those of gay men.[13]

Denmark
The higher rate for lesbians (almost double), is consistent with data showing that women initiate most of the heterosexual divorces in Denmark.[14]

Netherlands
The lesbian divorce rate is much higher than the divorce rate between men: in the same period on average 100 women and 45 men divorced per year (i.e., Lesbian divorce rate = 14%, Gay Male divorce rate = 7%).[15]

Norway and Sweden
In the above study, lesbians divorce risks were 77%-132% higher than for gay men .

South Africa
Gay divorces have started to occur in South Africa. No additional statistics are available.

United Kingdom
The divorce rate of same-sex couples within 29 months of the introduction of legally binding civil partnerships was slightly less than one percent in the United Kingdom.[17]

Many sources cite that lesbian divorce rates are twice the rate of gay male divorce.[18][19][20]

United States Edit
As of 2011, for states with available data, one study initially reported that the dissolution rates for same-sex couples were slightly lower on average than divorce rates of different-sex couples. The percentage of those same-sex couples who end their legal relationship ranges from 0% to 1.8%, or 1.1% on average across all listed jurisdictions per year, while 2% of married opposite-sex couples divorce annually.[21] According, however, to a Washington Post article retracting an earlier headline about the report, the study incorrectly calculated the percentage due to an error in capturing when the same-sex marriages began. As a result, the corrected findings show a 2% divorce rate — the same as married opposite sex couples. The article states that more data is needed over a longer period of time in order to provide accurate statistics on the topic.[22] Some studies have shown that lesbian committed relationships do not last as long as gay male committed relationships.[23]

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 10:51 PM
link   
a reply to: ghostrager

Well, I've got as much of an idea as you have, but I will offer the two possible explanations;

1. It seemed like a good idea at the time.......
2. Men (With a Y chromosome) regardless of sexuality, are just way more chilled out about romance & bromance, we're just not that highly strung.

Flame away.

Kind Regards
Myselfaswell

(post by 0zzymand0s removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 10:56 PM
link   
This Study indicates that lesbian as a category is more porous than other categories, with 20% of all lesbians having had sex with a man in the past year. Perhaps the conceptual boundaries being more fluid puts additional pressure on lesbian relationships.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Emotion based decision making backfire..

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 11:05 PM
link   

(post by CoBaZ removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 11:09 PM
link   

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 11:10 PM
link   

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 11:15 PM
link   

i would like to see the stats on which of the married lesbians that get divorced are the "butch" kind of lesbians.

Call me crazy but that just may have something to do with it, how it has something i have no idea.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Gays might not divorce as much but also a huge portion end up having "open marriages". If that wasn't an option I'm sure the divorce rate would be much higher. Maybe lesbians don't do open marriages as much or aren't interested in that being an option.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Well that is better than the hetero couples today.

However, about 40 to 50 percent of married couples in the United States divorce. The divorce rate for subsequent marriages is even higher.

www.apa.org...

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 11:26 PM
link   

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 11:28 PM
link   

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Let's just summarize the next oh... I'll give it 11 pages of predictable poop smeared on a repeat reel.

Women are irrational.

Women are stupid.

Women are manipulative.

Women are so horrible they can't even stand other women.

Women don't know what they really want.

But...

[snip]

All double dipped in a healthy dose of AmIright?!

There. Done. Skip to the end.

edit on 16-5-2016 by redhorse because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-5-2016 by elevatedone because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 11:36 PM
link   

My own opinion...Feminism

Modern feminist have ingrained that women deserve the absolute best from their partner, and if they don't feel they are receiving 100%, that backing out should be priority #1.

While I agree that everyone should be happy with their relationship, this massive feminist push has frankly pushed things too far. Normal disputes between couples are now resolved by breaking up instead of learning how to get along and understand each other. It has to be all or nothing.

Statistically lesbians tend to also be feminists, so now this all-or-nothing mindset is shared by both parties in the relationship, which equates to divorce.

What ever happened to a heated debate followed by passionate...

-25yo male straight single and VERY happy.

edit on 16-5-2016 by C8H10N4O2 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Actually my first reaction to the title was "this..exists? Oh yeah, that's right."
edit on 16-5-2016 by breakingbs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 11:45 PM
link   

My sister was switch hitting for a while, for whatever reason, but she said that the relationships are too "catty". It's difficult enough to deal with a woman sometimes in a hetero situation. I can only imagine what it must be like to argue and find balance between two women!

My sister has long since divorced that situation in her life and has had much better relationships with men. Most women will tell you they get along waaaaaay better with guys rather than girls. Most have more men friends than women friends.

For women, it's just too competitive, argumentative, envious, and dramatic for them to have too many female friends. Us guys are a lot simpler than that and we give great advice. Women can be outrageously vindictive and emotional, which may account for some of the divorces. It was the reason I divorced my headache of an X-wife....she nearly destroyed my military career!

There may be another facet to consider.. As with my sister, she was doing the exploratory thing. College is rife with experimentation as we all know. If you're truly gay and not just bi-sexual or a freak in the sack, I would imagine a marriage lasting. However, if you're heart, mind, body and soul isn't fully invested in it, you're only fooling yourself. You could apply that thinking to most everything.

It's exciting, sounds good at the time, but if you're not really gay, none of your gay escapades will mean anything...... And getting married in that mindset isn't going to make you any more homosexual.

BTW : I've always wondered why if a woman doesn't want to be with a man and would rather be with a woman, why do they use phallic toys? Like dildos, and strap-ons... You don't want the guy, but you wanna use guy equipment.

Seems more like mental illness rather than genetic determination to me.

edit on 16-5-2016 by EternalShadow because: a correction

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 12:01 AM
link   
From a 2015 study:

Same-sex marriage is now legal across the United States, but research on the reasons gays and lesbians get married is sparse.

The authors found that gays and lesbians got married for very different reasons. Most gay couples entered their union without kids, and that number remained close to zero after marriage; the authors concluded that “the main function of registered partnership for gays is resource pooling,” they write in the paper. “For lesbians, on the other hand, the right to joint or step-parent adoption allowed in 2002 raised fertility and possibly entry into partnership.” In other words, gay couples were more likely to get married to combine incomes and resources; lesbians tended to use marriage as a stepping stool towards creating a family, further emphasized by a spike in lesbians registering for marriage in 2002, the year when joint adoption was made legal.
Source

originally posted by: redhorse
Let's just summarize the next oh... I'll give it 11 pages of predictable poop smeared on a repeat reel.

Women are irrational.

Women are stupid.

Women are manipulative.

Women are so horrible they can't even stand other women.

Women don't know what they really want.

But...

Women really want dick no matter what they say.

All double dipped in a healthy dose of AmIright?!

There. Done. Skip to the end.

Hah, true, in before that.

Don't forget feminism hates all men including their partner that is masculine leaning.

edit on 17-5-2016 by dreamingawake because: article

edit on 17-5-2016 by dreamingawake because: 2015 sorry

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 12:16 AM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

And as far as the resource pooling, gays can do that and have an "open marriage" and still basically be as if they were single. And have the stability that comes with a marriage.

<<   2  3 >>

join