It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

my mom's huge bird encounter

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 06:38 PM
link   
It has already been mentioned but almost certainly a condor like the California Condor. Even animals can grow unusually large and often times because of their natural advantage compared to their kin, can be more agressive than most. I've seen similar with different animals where the jaw just drops. Interesting story nonetheless. Thanks for sharing.
edit on 13-5-2016 by Rosinitiate because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 08:28 PM
link   
a reply to: PhoenixOD

yes it was at night, the reason she could see the shadow was because of the spotlights on top the truck, they are higher (and brighter) than the head light and shine at a higher angle, againg she said this was common in Colorado because its snows very heavily where she is from, if you went off an embankment in winter, hopefully the spotlights would be visible to other people.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 08:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: galaga
Your mom isn't of Mexican decent is she?

I've heard a story 3 different times from 3 different old Mexican ladies that all sounded like that. Like a devil bird.

my moms is of north Spanish ancestory (she looks white/europea), in fact her decedents were some of the first Europeans to Seattle Colorado, she isn't particularly religious but does believe in Jesus Christ, why she carries a rosary... to her its just a symbol of Christ.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 08:49 PM
link   
and i know it may have just been an abnormally large raptor, a wing span of 9 feet is huge for the person saying about a condor's wingspan!!! but my mom still thinks this was too large of a bird to even fall on the end of the spectrum of a large bird. she said it was close to me in height... 5' 10" if not larger. but then again one time i saw a huge cat walk across my backyard wall, i was convinced it was either a large bobcat or mountain lion... if not for one thing, it had a collar on. later i came to confirm it was my neighbor that had an larger than average Maine Coon. i think it could easily be a case of miss identification. but my mom is convinced is otherwise.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 09:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: jgarc028

originally posted by: galaga
Your mom isn't of Mexican decent is she?

I've heard a story 3 different times from 3 different old Mexican ladies that all sounded like that. Like a devil bird.

my moms is of north Spanish ancestory (she looks white/europea), in fact her decedents were some of the first Europeans to Seattle Colorado, she isn't particularly religious but does believe in Jesus Christ, why she carries a rosary... to her its just a symbol of Christ.

I just moved to Monte Vista a year ago. It's funny, all these crazy stories about stuff going on in the valley, but most people here think everyone who claims to see a ufo or mutilated cow or a giant bird is full of it.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 11:52 PM
link   
so about this size?

posted on May, 14 2016 @ 05:08 PM
link   
I actually have a question for your Mother. The bird was standing in front of the truck and it was a very tall bird. Could you ask her to guess, based upon the body and where it may have ended, how long the legs must have been? For example...if the bird was 8' tall and the body ended at the hood level...the legs would be 3 to 4' long.

And by the way...thank you! I'm so sick of the political "conversations" on ATS that this is a breath of fresh air.

posted on May, 14 2016 @ 11:04 PM
link   
This is a very awsome story/retelling. I live in New Mexico and often see vultures in my neighborhood and I couldnt imagine one as large as this bird. Oh, and I agree about this kind of story being a breath of fresh air on this site because of all the political posts..

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 01:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore
a reply to: jgarc028

at least we know it isn't a Zapdos

if only she had a pokeball.

seeing something like that would be amazing and terrifying. im glad your mom was okay after the encounter!

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 07:34 AM
link   
a reply to: PhoenixOD

LOL

ps... thanks OP these stories always interest me. As do sightings of Pterodactyls etc.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 07:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: WeAreAWAKE
I actually have a question for your Mother. The bird was standing in front of the truck and it was a very tall bird. Could you ask her to guess, based upon the body and where it may have ended, how long the legs must have been? For example...if the bird was 8' tall and the body ended at the hood level...the legs would be 3 to 4' long.

And by the way...thank you! I'm so sick of the political "conversations" on ATS that this is a breath of fresh air.

unfortunately mom doesn't recall seeing its legs, or feet

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 12:36 AM
link   
a reply to: jgarc028

Don't know how I missed seeing this one before, but interesting!! Mostly vulture-like, eh? That fits a lot of the stories!

My family saw a really BIG vulture once, daytime, on the road as well. Someplace n Texas, around 1980, give or take, on a narrow road someplace. I can't pin don the location, because we went a lot of places that year for vacation, though it was most likely someplace on the way to Alamo Village. Anyway, there were several turkey vultures beside the road, and this one, in the road, was enormous! Big enough he could see into the car from the ground, and hos wings, when partially spread out, were wide enough to hang over the edges of the road. Had to have been at least a 15' wingspan. HUGE vulture. In every way save size, he looked like the rest of them. Both parents, myself, and my brother and sister saw this bird. I could kick myself now for not taking a picture, but then, we just made jokes about how "everything really IS bigger in Texas!", and didn't realize they weren't supposed to get that big.

As far as I am concerned, some of them DO, and that's what people are seeing; the rare "Gustav"- sized birds. Just beause scientists claim a maximum size, that doesn't mean they are always correct. Plus, sometimes, rare, very large specimens are seen.

Great story, and thank your mom as well!!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join