It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pandering for votes

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 05:03 PM
link   
To pander

pan·der
/ˈpandər/
verb
gerund or present participle: pandering
gratify or indulge (an immoral or distasteful desire, need, or habit or a person with such a desire, etc.).
"newspapers are pandering to people's baser instincts"
synonyms: indulge, gratify, satisfy, cater to, give in to, accommodate, comply with
"David was always there to pander to her every whim"

Internet, Google definition.

pander for the black vote, the Hispanic vote, the muslim vote, the Christian vote, the white vote, the atheist vote, the poor vote, the wealthy vote, the gay vote, the handicapped vote, the womens vote, the mans vote, the hunting vote, the vegan vote, . . . . . .

But everyone in America is equal?

We are just one country?

I see politicians separating us along divisions they create. they enhance, highlight specific differences, pander to those differences, and then capitalize on the divide.

The only thing worse than a politician is a lying politician, but then again, I repeat myself.

Okay, rant done.

Politicians?

Dance for me you little bitches.

DANCE!

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Pandering can be reported by the MSM all it likes.

The next POTUS has already been chosen, they're just going through the motions.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 05:08 PM
link   
I was in the middle of reading this and had to stop to check my privilege... I apologize in advance.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 05:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

I had to look up what "check my privilege" meant.

guess I'm getting old.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Sorry, I had to go get another bottle of hot sauce for my purse ...

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 05:16 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

There was a teacher in Florida who taught her students a lesson on that. She was succinctly fired when the parents got upset about it.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 05:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
Sorry, I had to go get another bottle of hot sauce for my purse ...

You saw that too?

THAT'S what pissed me off!

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 05:22 PM
link   

I see politicians separating us along divisions we create. they enhance, highlight specific differences, pander to those differences, and then capitalize on the divide.

We created this divide...They,the politicians and the media have only been capitalizing on the divisions within our societies that have existed for centuries. People don't require them to whisper in our ears like the devils they are and manipulate our emotions for these divisions to persist. We do that ourselves when we put too much merit on our political views,race,cultural heritage,nationality,sex,sexual orientation and all other labels that people use to self identify as.

I think we as a species need to start at the most basic qualifier for self identification and that is we are all human.
Nothing more and nothing less.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 05:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

I had to look up what "check my privilege" meant.

guess I'm getting old.

It seems to be the new "IN" thing.

Pandering at it's finest...

insider.foxnews.com...

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 05:28 PM
link   
a reply to: NateTheAnimator

I'm not exactly sure we created it, but it's useful you know.

Look at how we've gone when it comes to people. It used who you were/are; now it's what.

Suzy is a warm and caring girl. She likes cars and kittens. She is extremely talented in gymnastics and in math. That's how we used to describe Suzy. These days Suzy is a half-black girl of Caribbean descent who is a lesbian with ADHD.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 05:28 PM
link   

I don't know if I believe that.

Out in the world, away from politicians and television cameras, we are just regular people with regular jobs, driving regular cars to our regular homes.

We see and (for the most part) acknowledge and respect the differences that we have.

Activists, people with agendas, they collude with politicians to highlight and accentuate the divisions.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Dear Sir- What does voting have to do with it? YES, it would matter if our votes actually mattered but evidence to the contrary comes out every day, yet when the discussion starts on ways to fix the issue, that is when the personal attacks occur. I have seen this grow as this campaign has continued and I also noticed that "teaming up" is currently in vogue. What I mean by this is something akin to:

Joe Blow: Yeah, if Trump is elected maybe we will have a chance.
Phil Jones: I think Hillary would be a better choice but I really like Bernie Sanders.
Jerry Kean: Yeah, Phil but You're an idiot.
Joe Blow: JERRY KEAN- Don't forget probably a red commie too.
Jerry Kean: JOE BLOW- Preach it Brother..
Joe Blow: Trump 2016
Phil Jones: What about the wall?
Jerry Kean: I'd pay for it if it kept commies like You out!
Joe Blow: JERRY KEAN-LOL

It is just another excuse to take Your $$$. In the 2012 Presidential election, the U.S. Chamber of Commerce spent $100M on that election.. WHY? Then 'THEY' continue to look for ways to 'grow' the gov't. WHY?

If You want to waste Your time thinking You have a 'voice' well "Good on You" I'd rather watch the NBC™ show "The Voice" or paint dry. The one guy wins the debate, the other guy gets the delegates. Then the head guy says "It doesn't matter, We have rules here..." Their rules preclude anyone other than $$$ has a voice..

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 05:33 PM
link   
a reply to: JimNasium

Votes have a lot to do with it.

Take Suzy I described above. She would be a "woman," "young," "LGBT," and "African-American." Each of those groups I described above have been assigned their specific issues that are assumed to be all-important to them. An individual checking those boxes off will be automatically assumed to "care" about those issues above all others. They cease to be individuals and become an identity that is indistinguishable from the group.

And when you do see an individual of those groups who dares to step outside the presumed mold and speak up in a manner that goes outside the box or against the group, they are often subjected to brutal attacks by others. And larger society allows this savaging to happen hypocritically in a society that claims to be so against bullying.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 05:49 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Even the characteristics you mentioned about your hypothetical Suzy would be categorized and qualified with specific labels.
Her liking of cars would have her being lumped in with gear-heads and her love for kittens would make her a Ailurophile.
Granted,things have changed in how we view our fellow human beings in recent decades. Partly I think this has to do with a recent fascination to use these labels more often than not to both self identify and pass derogatory judgement upon others.

I may have missed the point of that statement than. I apologize.
I'm suggesting that historically these divides have always existed within humanity and that if if we didn't put too much merit on how we self identify ourselves in society there would be no divisions for the media and political figures to highlight. I'm sure your average every day folk don't participate too heavily in the 'divide & conqueror' game. However I've seen too many bigots and intolerant people to take that anecdote seriously.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 05:58 PM
link   

So you think a lot of people carry around hot sauce in their purse?

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 05:59 PM
link   

I would also opine that Your 'Suzy' would score HIGH on an open job application and Her ap would go to the head of the line.

In the police dep't. I worked We had a joke when the City went on a 'fiscal saving crusade' and left the fire dep't. and police dep't. try and operate w/skeleton crews to the point where folks were getting hurt due to staffing or lack of. We were at the pre shift briefing and 'someone' (I won't testify to facts not yet in evidence) asked the Lt. when TheCity was going to start hiring people, no vacations, forced overtime, etc. and the Lt. said "As soon as You can find a 1 legged black Lesbian that only speaks Spanish to apply.." I only applied at this P.D. because I got a letter from the Governor that read "Sorry We aren't accepting any male candidates north of Modesto" this after applying for the Ca. Highway Patrol..

You ever been to Molesto? YUCK!

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Different demographics have different issues. That is the point of 'pandering' as you say. It would be silly not to have plans and ideas to present to different demographics if you are running for President.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 06:08 PM
link   

In terms of pandering to specific groups or people? I doubt it.
I was talking in terms of self identification.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 06:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kangaruex4Ewe
I was in the middle of reading this and had to stop to check my privilege... I apologize in advance.

White privilege is not a made up thing, but I don't think people should be 'stopping to check it' constantly. It should be taken seriously, not as a thing to make fun of like it is a 'buzz word'.

It irks me when those in an authority position make such remarks.
edit on 19-4-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 06:17 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

White privilege is not a made up thing

Well the term is made up.
Much like any other terminology used by SJWs.
Is their such a thing as black privilege? I could use some of that.

<<   2  3 >>

join