It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Penn State protesters throw temper tantrum after failing to stop Shapiro speech

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Well known Conservative journalist Ben Shapiro spoke at Penn State and apparently a protest movement was a day late and a dollar short.

Seems the hall was already filled when groups showed up to attempt to stop the discussion.

Realizing their tardiness, wild chanting and other shenanigans broke out.

Defacing flyers with Shapiro's picture on them and just throwing paper on the floor as well as "Black Lives Matter" shouting and demands to let them inside.

Looks like the organized efforts were not so organized.

Penn State protesters throw temper tantrum after failing to stop Shapiro speech

Unable to prevent Ben Shapiro from speaking at Penn State despite aggressive chanting, student protesters vented their frustrations by defacing flyers and throwing paper on the floor.

Hundreds of students showed up to attend the Wednesday night event hosted by Young America’s Foundation, leaving no room in the lecture hall to accommodate late-arriving protesters who had apparently planned to disrupt Shapiro’s address.

Video footage obtained by Campus Reform shows that rather than dispersing, the activists congregated just outside the room and began loudly chanting a series of increasingly hostile chants.

Some people just can't stand opposing viewpoints getting in their way.

And ironically, these type of "protests" only happen when unwelcome visitors are present.

Otherwise, it's silence as usual as nobody listens.

+3 more 
posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 07:26 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

These protesters can't win in the arena of facts and ideas so their strategy is to silence the opposition by any means necessary. They have the right to protest, but I should have a right to hear what other people have to say also and trying to shut down opposing viewpoints borders on the moronic.

+4 more 
posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 07:27 PM
link   
If everybody would refer to them by their proper terms, which would be agitators and disrupters, then maybe this nonsense would finally end. Protestors my keester

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Oh my. You mean that they screwed up and allowed someone to exercise their right to assemble and speak?

It won't happen again.

+2 more 
posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 07:28 PM
link   

I love these video seeing these immature college students unable to rationalize opposing views.

College campuses have become the most authoritarian places in the US

edit on 7-4-2016 by JDmOKI because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 07:30 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

We have to stop opposing views!

I mean hate speech!

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 07:37 PM
link   
You know ... if these kids had a dress code. One violation and you're no longer in college ... things'd turn right around.

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 07:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: JDmOKI

We have to stop opposing views!

I mean hate speech!

We can't have people expressing themselves now, can we.

+5 more 
posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Social media has given birth to the least intelligent generation of humans yet. Ensuring our demise as not one of these snowflakes will ever invent the time machine necessary to go back and undo the damage.

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 07:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Snarl
And get rid of freedom of expression. Sounds good.

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 07:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tiamat384
a reply to: Snarl
And get rid of freedom of expression. Sounds good.

Did I say that?

I said apply and enforce a dress code. You can follow a dress code and still express yourself. The probability is conformity with a conservative standard leads to better/wiser decisions.

+4 more 
posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 07:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Tiamat384

Freedom of expression is perfectly fine. People using mob tactics to impede the freedoms and rights of others is just a bigoted mass of degenerates who fail to see the hypocrisy of their own actions.

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Just wanted to get this in before the leftists start.

Apparently we're a bunch of snowflakes and sensitive wusses because we are commenting on this.

We apparently are considered wusses if we support free speech.

So consider yourselves shamed and guilted.

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 07:56 PM
link   

If I lacked respect for these groups before, now its less.

Everytime, I call my kids over to show them how these people are repulsive.

Thanks for the educational material.

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 07:59 PM
link   

It's been a long day but I'm having trouble determining what side of the fence your on here.

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 08:04 PM
link   
a reply to: In4ormant

Sorry. Been a long day for me as well.

I am all for freedom of speech and freedom of assembly. But many are not.

Those that want to silence people with different viewpoints and opinions will probably be more organized next time and successfully deny rights.

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Gotcha

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 08:22 PM
link   
I want to clarify something for the people who will inevitably come heralding these actions.

There is a very big distinction between HECKLERS and PROTESTORS. Here, let me spell it out in case you didn't pay attention in life.

A HECKLER is as follows :A heckler is a person who harasses and tries to disconcert others with questions, challenges, or gibes. Hecklers are often known to shout disparaging comments at a performance or event, or to interrupt set-piece speeches, with the intent of disturbing performers and/or participants.

HECKLERS are bad.

You still with me?

A PROTESTOR is as follows :a person who publicly demonstrates strong objection to something; a demonstrator.

Still here?

Here's a scenario.

I don't like a movie that's playing at the theater. I go and protest this by standing at the theater with my little sign and express my views. You still get to express your views and watch said movie in peace. That's a protest and perfectly fine. PROTESTOR

If I were to make my way into the movie and then proceed to yell and scream and disrupt the show and everyone's ability to enjoy the movie then I would have trampled your rights and exceeded my own. HECKLER

The world can't be this dumb.
edit on 7-4-2016 by In4ormant because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 08:33 PM
link   
a reply to: In4ormant
I was replying to the comment of dress code, I completely agree.

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 08:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Tiamat384

I'm reading everybody wrong tonight, my fault. My brain is in low power mode. Might need to call it a night.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join