It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Need Advice About One Of My Cats

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 04:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: mamabeth
a reply to: reldra

The citrus sounds really good.His favorite place to pee is in the breakfast
room part of my kitchen.When I was trying to track down a strange odor
in my kitchen that's what I found.

Generally, cats don't like citrus scents. It can keep the cat to just peeing on one spot that doesn't have a citrus scent.
I have found that cleaners with a heavy citrus scent, even generic citrus scented spray air fresheners can remove cat urine smell better than expensive cleaners for that purpose.

However, don't do that when you get feliway. Use white vinegar and baking soda to clean while giving feliway a chance to work. And do try the tips in the video.

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 04:02 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

Thank-you very much for that video.

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 04:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

That is also a great idea about painting the walls with KILZ.

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 04:13 PM
link   
We are having a similar issues and have tried a range of things. Nature's Miracle is really good. The key is to get rid of the smell as they will keep returning to the same spot. I also read that they don't like to pee where they eat/drink so a suggestion might be to move his food.

As other posters have mentioned, it's usually down to stress or territory. It can also happen if they have a urinary tract infection. Have you changed the house around or moved furniture? Packing things up etc? This started for us when we were having work done on the house. I read that any change in their environment can cause stress and that's their way of dealing with it.

Nothing could make me have one of the cats put to sleep, other than them being in pain/terminally ill although I do appreciate you have an issue. I also wouldn't abandon them somewhere they're unfamiliar with where there isn't a food supply. My eldest cat wouldn't have a clue how to catch anything so it would just be cruel.

Hope you manage to work things out,

Scally x
edit on 442016 by Scallywwagg because: Additional thought

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 04:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Scallywwagg

Thank-you for your advice and I would never dump an animal.
We have been closing him up in a room we call the cats' playroom.
We have a floor to ceiling cat tree,a sofa,a bed,several windows to
look out at and a dresser to climb on as well.I caught him peeing out
there too.

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Are you engaging as much with the cat? might be worth having a good play session once or more every day so you can naturally given them some stimulus and has the cats going mad around the house it's naturally marking his/her space and you get the fun factor and it gets also some exercise.

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 04:56 PM
link   
I didn't notice if you said whether or not the cat was neutered. Is he? If not, the Snip can sometimes be enough to stop spraying in it's tracks in older cats, though sometimes the habit can take a while to wear off.

Otherwise, if yes, then you need something that can break down the enzymes in urine where he sprays. I've never personally used anything like the enzyme cleaners & sprays, but I've heard success stories from friends who had and never had another peeing incident again.

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Lots of good replies here-I have had a cat with kidney problems who lived to be 20ish so it isn't necessarily the end. Quite often the problem is caused by cystitis or some other infection which causes pain on urination. This means they begin to associate the litter box with pain and so avoid it.

To ease this, encourage your cat to drink as much as possible. The best way I found was to buy a kitty water fountain which keeps the water running non stop and really encouraged him to drink. The other thing is have him checked for cystitis by your vet.

Hope your kitty gets better

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 05:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: mamabeth
a reply to: Maxatoria

He drinks a LOT of water everyday.One day,while sifting his litter pan,
he hardly had any pee clumps in it. While I was watching him he started
doing that little wiggle and peed on the wall.

Sorry I had to stop right there, this brought up a very very very important Question, Wet or Dry food?

The reason I ask is my Female Himalayan had the Pee every where but the litter box problem, until we switched her to Wet food. Up until then we were dry only, and she would guzzle water and wizz any where she felt like it. After the Change in diet she now goes in the Litter box and does not drink as much.

Just a suggestion from a cat owner.

CoBaZ

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 05:43 PM
link   
I have 3 female cats. One of them started peeing on the floor one day. So I moved the litter box to where she was peeing. Then she started using the litter box, Problem solved, except that I now have a litter box in my dining room.

Sal

a reply to: mamabeth

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Hello Madam, I read that You're an 'empath' (everyone likes a title...) I'm enclosing some info so Tom can get His 'snip' together.. If'n He were a Siamese We could point to the feline's Mr. Yang..

www.vetinfo.com...

www.earthclinic.com...

namaste

P.S. If these don't work I'll check back and then I'll ask My hermaphroditic Affenpinscher "MagWai" He has had previous incarnations as a feline.. (If I could figure out how to do a link I can video it...)

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 06:44 PM
link   
They have those cattle probes at Tractor supply. Just get it into the stream of spray and your cat will look like a ball of fuzz and probably won't be spraying on anything for a long time.

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 06:59 PM
link   

If your boy is in pain, don't hesitate to have him put down because it is the humane thing to do and it is pretty much downhill for him at this point. I was unable to euthanize my 14 year old cats when they exhibited signs of organ failure and they suffered. I will never let another pet linger in pain and suffering ever again, but letting your beloved pets be euthanized is a very difficult decision and act to do - until you experience them experiencing a terrible death.

As for the pee soaked in the walls, try water and vinegar - let is soak in. Then repainting with a primer of KILZ and a good glossy paint should do the trick.

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 06:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight

If your boy is in pain, don't hesitate to have him put down because it is the humane thing to do and it is pretty much downhill for him at this point. I was unable to euthanize my 14 year old cats when they exhibited signs of organ failure and they suffered. I will never let another pet linger in pain and suffering ever again, but letting your beloved pets be euthanized is a very difficult decision and act to do - until you experience them experiencing a terrible death.

As for the pee soaked in the walls, try water and vinegar - let it soak in. Then repainting with a primer of KILZ and a good glossy paint should do the trick.

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Thank you for giving that reply. Cats need to stay indoors. They kill way too many birds and rodents (prarie dogs and rabbits in my area).

I'm sorry about your predicament though.

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 11:21 PM
link   

First off, I thought I'd send an emoticon to the dear poster who proposed boxing him up and taking him to the woods to show my thoughts towards them and their suggestion...but, alas, they don't offer up those kind of one digit salutes. So I'll just give the ladylike, acceptable one

So, it sounds like he still has his bladder/kidney problem since he's decorating your walls and furniture with his brand of perfume. That's the only real attention getter when a cat is trying to get a pretty important point across to their owners (sorry, should be servant, slave, guardian etc). Was he given medication and has he gotten all of it? Hope so. You'll need to check the label on his food for the lowest possible amount of ash added to it as ash promotes the formation of kidney stones. Was he x-rayed for them? It'd be a good idea to get that done since stones, or crystals, forming and trying to be passed through their very tiny urethra is as excruciating for them as it is for men. And at his age his system isn't as strong as it was as a kitten, or young adult.

If you grasp the rough of his neck and let go (don't pick him up, just gently grasp), and the skin settles slowly it generally means he is dehydrated. I'd probably keep a couple dishes of FRESH water in a few places for his convenience since that helps with flushing his system. Be sure to change the water daily for optimum freshness.

As one poster suggested, it might be a good idea to keep 1 or 2 extra litter boxes available to remind him where to go. But, if he's still having a kidney problem that may not be an issue.

Many Kitties are living to pretty ripe old ages these days, but bear in mind some stick to an average age of 9-12 years as a given. Your fella should be at the top edge since he's lucky enough to be an indoor dweller, which gives him high marks and points towards longevity. Keep an eye on him and watch closely next trip to the litter box to see if he seems to be straining...if he is that's neon, flashing lights that tell he's working on, or has, a blockage and get him to his doctor ASAP. Cats are notoriously hard to pick up on illnesses until sadly many times it's close to being too late. Please, take it from one who has been owned and passed on generation to generation by cats (oh, throw in a few dogs from time to time as well), take care of his little heart and he will tend to yours in return! Good luck to you both!

PS Dogs raised by cats are way cool!! Just ask Sam, my Doberman

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 04:24 AM
link   
Who knows, maybe him peeing on the walls is not due to his kidney disease. There are various reasons why they may do that. Maybe you can find that out.

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 12:38 PM
link   

You get ideas when you live with cats. LOL.
An electric bowl that keeps the water moving is a good idea too. It encourages them to drink more. That's why so many cats like drinking from a running or dripping faucet.

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I want to thank everyone for your advice about my cat.I am really thankful for
being polite and helpful.I told my husband about the great ideas posted here.
Later today,he will be reading your replies and it's his first time here on ATS.

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 05:16 PM
link   

There's a TON of cat lovers out here and I love reading posts about them, especially with pictures! You might want to check out a site on Yahoo called Answers. There is one entitled "pets" and generally has a number of questions about cats. I used to post a lot of answers to peoples questions under the guise of "Sweety says...". I haven't done it in some time since there are a lot of trolls and abusive freaks out there as well. I may get back into it if anything just to help anyone out. I remember one post back when hurricane Sandy was about to hit and a young girl was pleading for some kind of answer she could use to convince her parents to allow her to bring her cat inside to ride it out. Apparently it worked because she wrote that her parents allowed it. Thankfully! I was so happy to hear that my suggestion helped her! Any bright spot in life at any time is a big boost!!

<< 1    3 >>

join