It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More Than 500,000 Americans Stand to Lose SNAP Benefits

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 03:47 AM
link   
a reply to: NewzNose

Your full of crap unless she applied for them before she had a job. They take it out of your tax money at the end of the year if you claim income taxes during the time they were giving SNAP benefits.

I know I've had to be on food stamps to stay alive before.

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 03:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: In4ormant
Not sure this should have ever gone away. Regardless of the economy there was always community service options. Community service should have still been a requirement.

In Japan, community service is a must and yes, the city provides the bus pass to the community service areas. They also come and check what is in your fridge too. Very strict here. Until recently, welfare was a word rarely used because it was looked down upon in this society.

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 04:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: AboveBoard
a reply to: Snarl

The average taxpayer pays $36 per year for SNAP. I would rather pay out for that than for Corporate subsidies and tax shelters. Seriously, $36 to keep kids from being hungry is very very little.

Even the Heritage Foundation thinks we should remove the sweetheart deals for Corporations. Corporate Welfare Wastes Taxpayer and Economic Resources

Hungry children vs CEO salary? Yeah. I'll pick helping the hungry...

- AB

People have some weird blind spot for corporate welfare(too big to fail,too big to jail,bailouts,lowered interest rates)but hate individual welfare(SNAP,SSDI,section 8,HUD).

Why do people hate poor people so much when corporations and wallstreet firms loot trillions.

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 04:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
a reply to: John_Rodger_Cornman

If that was the option i would pay double or triple what I pay now.

Why would you pay triple or double what you pay now?

Locally operated(by private social services companies) is a lot of cheaper(because of competition of services drives the price down) than ineffecient,wasteful,less oversight,bloated federal program.

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 04:09 AM
link   
a reply to: John_Rodger_Cornman

Did you read the post I was responding too?

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Off the top of my head I cannot think of what we could take away instead

um..the kids?

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 10:12 AM
link   
a reply to: JustAnObservation

The method of payment is swiping a card not pulling out stamps or funny money. You can't tell when someone pays with a benefit card and that was my point. Your friend didn't see a man with a 2016luxury car pay with food stamps. That's the biggest lie told constantly. Oh I saw a man in a Cadillac buy his groceries with food stamps. Unless you're unbelievably nosey and get right up to the register of the person paying you would never know. Then of course you have to follow them out of the store to see what kind of car they're driving. It's just a BS story told by people who don't want to see these types of programs in government. Nobody gets rich on welfare. Most on it wish they were not.

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 10:53 AM
link   
A lot of them should lose it. I can't count the number of times I was working the register and had people use their stamps to buy mostly junk food and then pull out cash to buy beer, cigarettes and lottery tickets. They didn't even bother to budget and go to the bus stop across the street and ride about three miles to the supermarket where things would have been way cheaper than a corner store. They spent it like the free money it was.

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 11:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: JustAnObservation
There's plenty of people who should lose them. Though many examples come to mind, the most recent one is an experience a friend of mine had. He has cancer and can barely find the strength to work; even then he only works part time at a gas station. He used to have a solid job in HVAC but can no longer do that. He can barely afford to eat and I buy him food as often as I can, but he was told he "makes too much money" for food stamps when he applied. The other day someone walked into his workplace and flashed a wad of hundreds at him, bragging about their new 2016 whatever luxury car, then paid for their food with food stamps. I had many neighbors where I used to live who were like this as well. I repeat that some people really should lose their benefits, they clog the system, which doesn't even reach all of the people who are truly in need.

Oh balogna. That's nothing but an old wives tail the right wing have peddling since I was a kid. Just the same as welfare people get rich having kids. It's nothing but BS

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 11:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: whyamIhere
Take away something else.

Many innocent kids that depend on that food.

edit on 1-4-2016 by Teeky because: replied to the wrong personn

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 12:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
a reply to: JustAnObservation

The method of payment is swiping a card not pulling out stamps or funny money. You can't tell when someone pays with a benefit card and that was my point. Your friend didn't see a man with a 2016luxury car pay with food stamps. That's the biggest lie told constantly. Oh I saw a man in a Cadillac buy his groceries with food stamps. Unless you're unbelievably nosey and get right up to the register of the person paying you would never know. Then of course you have to follow them out of the store to see what kind of car they're driving. It's just a BS story told by people who don't want to see these types of programs in government. Nobody gets rich on welfare. Most on it wish they were not.

Actually, a few years ago when using food stamps someone made it their business to yell at me over what I bought because they didn't approve of what I spent "their" money on. Then they followed me out to the parking lot continuing to harass me at which point I did get into a Cadillac... the Cadillac of a friend of mine who drove me to the store in the first place.

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 07:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: whyamIhere
Take away something else.

Many innocent kids that depend on that food.

And in a lot of those households, they still don't get access to it because mom fences the SNAP for cash and goes and buys booze or other things.

Where are you getting this idea from? Do you truly think that is the norm?

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 02:13 AM
link   
a reply to: darkbake

They live in these ultra conservative bubbles where everything works like it says it should on tv.

Just work harder remember?

That's why the Millenials went to college and educated themselves into massive debt.

They want us to forget that though so they can blame college grads for not workin hard enough in the same way they blame poor people for the condition our country is in.

Meanwhile our fiscal policy being set by foreign bankers because of the TPP.

Wait what did Trump say?

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 10:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: JustAnObservation
a reply to: Rabb420

Have you tried relocating to a different area with better job opportunities?

Usually it costs more to live in areas with better job opportunities. Money would obviously be a problem for a person that is on or needs food stamps. Moving isn't free unless you have nothing and even there are usually deposit fees when renting an apartment.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 11:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

It's always possible. Even well off people can fall on hard times and lose their livelihood. Everything you have doesn't magically disappear. Chances are if you had a good standard of living before falling on hard times your car is paid off.

Therefore it's a very possible situation that simply demonstrates the ignorance of the person making it, as they have no ability to think past the car they see and consider how someone who's on food stamps might have gotten it.

They seem to think that, if a person is on food stamps they've always been and could never have had any measure of success before hand.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 11:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: GD21D

originally posted by: xuenchen
Looks like many Americans will be losing food stamp benefits real soon.

Awesome!!! Now conservatives have something to really cheer for am I right?

Being a heartless POS is great isn't it?

"High fives all around"

I am amazed at people who think like this. Both Democrats and Republicans forced NAFTA and now the dreaded TPP on us. Your dear leader Obama pushed through TPP. This is why the country is going to hell in a hand basket. Your friends the Democrats will rail against this. Then as they close the door they are making the same deals to ship jobs to China, Mexico and any other 3rd world nation on this planet that the Republicans are.

What we have and what we have had for the last 30 years is called economic warfare and the enemy is us and that means you too pal...

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I love a good old ATS poor bashing thread, makes me feel all Dickensian it does

edit on 2-4-2016 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 03:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Puppylove

It's always possible. Even well off people can fall on hard times and lose their livelihood. Everything you have doesn't magically disappear.

PL you are quite right. Some people like to say it is about choice. I will agree with those people also, but only to a certain degree.

I grew up poor as a church mouse, and I accredit greed, Sears & Roebuck, and Montgomery Wards, for my rise up the ladder. Though poor I grew up in the country, so I never went hungry for food. Back then you could hunt your land, fish, oyster, crab, and clam, a meal from the Bay. Though tobacco was king, there were plenty of other crops available for gleaning.

My hunger was for the city life, and obtaining all those cool, and wonderful things, advertised in those wonderful catalogs. I was young, single, healthy, and enterprising. I made the climb fairly quickly and easily. I considered myself blessed and lucky. I had the proverbial world by the tail. Then one day, I was slapped between the eyes with a 9 y/o nephew, and an 8 month of old preemie, barely holding onto life.

She was born at just a little over a pound and quickly dropped to about 9 ounces. After 8 months in the hospital, in an incubator, the hospital decided there was nothing else they could do, and her days were numbered. They gave her about 3 days, so they sent her home to die. Bonding and say goodbye time.

My sister was helpless, terrified, and broken. I flew my sister and her two children, express, by way of a very supportive, and amazingly helpful, and accommodating, American Airlines. So I walked away from the 6 figure job, the good life, and became Mama Auntie. I swapped the good life for working for less money, but more flexibility, and autonomy. I went from a healthy bank account, impressive savings, and 401K, to barely keeping my head above water, and a constant battle to keep the roof over our heads.

For the first 3 months our miracle child never felt anything but the hands and arms of loving, caring and attentive family, neighbors, and friends. She had to be fed by eyedropper, and could only take a few swallows at a time, before falling asleep from the exhaustion. Her lungs had to be suctioned almost every 30 minutes, with a tiny flexible catheter, by mouth.

I had amazing support. My friends from the medical community, the church, the neighbors, family, all stepped up to the plate; thank God I come from a large family of nurses. 24 hours a day, non-stop care, love, and attention, was bestowed on the tiny tadpole, that didn't even have the strength to cry. She laid in the bed for the first time about 4 months later.

It was a memorable experience, because it was the first time she cried, out loud, and it drove some poor cat crazy. The mama cat sat in the windows and echoed her cries. The mama cat was in agony, because she was so sure our tadpole was a baby kitten. But like always, I am drifting.

All I am really trying to say is that life happens to us. Yes we have choices, but for some, they are faux choices. Some choices are really made for "you". I guess you could decide to reject the choices that are made for you, but then you would no longer be you; would you?

Life and circumstances rarely come in black and white. Some days are closer to white, and some days are closer to black. Most are shades of gray, and usually flowing up and down the spectrum.

edit on 2-4-2016 by NightSkyeB4Dawn because: Clean up.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 03:59 PM
link   
500,000 nation wide? that's not much compared to how many they cut off in my state last year. The farm bill that Obama passed in 2014 cut 200,000 elderly and disable off from food stamps in just Michigan. I'm disable and one of those that got cut off.

There are roughly 50 million people on food stamps 500,000 isn't much. So while some get their jollies off on this news to put things into perspective the cuts aren't that deep.
edit on 2-4-2016 by wantsome because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 04:10 PM
link   
A lot of people don't understand that upwards of 35% of all grocery store revenues are directly related to Food Stamps. Sounds bad, doesn't it?

Think about it this way: a 35% loss of revenue to the grocery store means

35%
Fewer checkers
Fewer stockers
Fewer truckers
Fewer warehouse workers
Fewer managers
Fewer store locations

Less insurance
Less utilities

and so on.

Now, remember: every dollar earned by these people is a dollar that never goes back into the local economy, and each one of those dollars is spent dozens of times or more, before it disappears into the black hole of the offshore economy.

That means less work and less money for everyone.

You guys realize this is all connected, right? None of us make money in a vacuum, unaffected by the actual street level economy. If Food Stamps are an entitlement program, they are a program that directly or indirectly benefits every single last one of us.

Some "food" for thought.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join