It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am so sick of religious people

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 12:36 PM
link   
I grew up in a place where almost nobody was religious. In fact, being so was considered abnormal. Nobody ever discusses it in schools, nobody talked about it because where I am from all we care about is fact and evidence and reality.

Every day for the past decade or so I wake up and check the news, and every single day what do I read?
Religious people murdering, torturing and raping each other. It is totally disgusting and barbaric. I can't believe in 2016 this is still happening it blows my mind.

I can't even remember where religious people killed others yesterday, but today it was in Brussels. Absolutely disgusting and revolting.
And what is the first thing people do..? They go on twitter and post "pray for this or pray for that". Pray for the world is trending now.

PRAYING IS WHAT STARTED THIS MESS!!!!

Enough of your BS. Praying does NOTHING. Their answer for how to fix the problem is to do nothing, until one day "their god tells them" to go out killing people. Disgusting and sickening. Their magic answer is to talk to themselves while thinking their imaginary friend is listening to them (This is what praying is). Wonderful.

And don't go and give me that "they are Muslims but we are Christians" garbage. You're all the same. I'm not even talking about the crusades here, I'm talking about the last 150 years in Canada where the Catholic religion (Christian) has murdered, tortured, raped, brainwashed, abused, genocided and massacred multiple tens of thousands our first nations peoples. THIS ONLY ENDED IN 1996! (Truth and Reconciliation)

Kidnapping newborns right after being born and the mother never sees them again - usually given for adoption or thrown into mass graves (Catholic Homes For Single Mothers - Canada, Ireland, etc)

Normal people like myself (Normal means not religious, usually Atheist) are so sick of your disgusting revolting horrible ways. I have 2 young kids and for the past couple years I've been studying religion and religious people so I can try and explain them in a non-biased way.
Well, I am pretty sure I'm going to have to teach them the truth. To stay away from religious people, they are dangerous and untrustworthy. They are sick in the head and are terrified of reality. They will defend their imaginary friend at the cost of actual real human lives. They don't value life at all as they think this is just temporary. They don't have the ability to use logic or reason either.

It blows my mind. Can Mars please be for normal people only? No religious people on Mars please or they will destroy it.

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 12:37 PM
link   
a reply to: DumpMaster

I've been studying religion and religious people so I can try and explain them in a non-biased way.

A noble intention, not quite there yet

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Your intolerance is actually quite refreshing.

I think it is good for people to see why Christians and other religious folk feel that they are fighting a battle against hate and intolerance. Personally, I prefer a society that encourages all people to get along and offer each other the freedom to practice their beliefs and express themselves free of judgement and hate.

In the meantime I will try to study hateful and intolerant people in order to understand them and hopefully will be able to explain to them in a rational, non-biased way why making society safer for all people and all beliefs is important.

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 12:49 PM
link   

It has very little to do with religion. Mankind has a lust for power. Religion was an easy way to control peoples actions.

However secular capitalism and imperialism are just as bad without any need of religion. The problem is science dies not teach you how to act. Meaning how to take action and make decisions about life and the people around you. Now that religion is gone greedy consumerism is far more destructive to the planet we live on then men claiming they know God.

Personally I think the erasure of an imperarive needs to be replaced by another so that people have a moral compass. This is easily done by studying philosophy however most people see philosophy as irrelevant.

Then again that's why so many don't understand how to have valid arguements and even atheists get demolished by studied Christian philosophers. It's embarrassing to me as an agnostic atheist to watch sometimes.

Point is whether it's tribal animism, religion, or secular capitalism the egomaniacs and morons ruin it for the rest. Our advancements in some areas of science have threatened humanity every bit as much as religion.

It just comes down to how people act. Some religious people are great others suck. Same with Atheists. Just so happens religion is a great control mechanism. So is consumerism.

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Well, let's see. I have pretty much prayed every night of my life since I was 6 years old except for when I was too sick to do so. It actually did keep me from being scared of the dark and in the house I grew up in there was a dark presence that it chased away. So I do feel that prayer did plenty for me. It keeps me centered and calm and helps me find the strength to endure both chronic migraine and bone spur that brings me near-constant nerve pain.

I have yet to wake up with the desire to kill anyone or try to force my faith on them. Of course, people here might think otherwise because I do talk pretty openly about my faith and beliefs, but then, this is a discussion site with forums for such and threads that encourage me to express that opinion.

Most people wouldn't recognize me if they actually met me in real life to converse.

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 12:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

Your intolerance is actually quite refreshing.

I think it is good for people to see why Christians and other religious folk feel that they are fighting a battle against hate and intolerance. Personally, I prefer a society that encourages all people to get along and offer each other the freedom to practice their beliefs and express themselves free of judgement and hate.

In the meantime I will try to study hateful and intolerant people in order to understand them and hopefully will be able to explain to them in a rational, non-biased way why making society safer for all people and all beliefs is important.

Religious people are fighting hate?
How, by sitting at home talking to themselves (praying) while the other group goes out murdering?

My hate for religion is in defense of humanity. Also Atheist are one of the most discriminated against minorities there are. If I have any "Intolerance" it comes from seeing the horrors done by religious people for their imaginary friends. I'm from a place where everyone is equal but when you look at the world, my place is a rarity.

I'm all for everyone getting along and being nice but religious people seem to always be against that. You see it every day in the news.

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 12:58 PM
link   

You realize that you're saying and acting the exact same way as the people you're ridiculing here.

Ironic, isn't it

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 01:03 PM
link   

I can guarantee you the 200 people a month dieing in Chicago in gang wars are not religious people. The news doesn't cover that as much because no one cares.

We will destroy the planet with or without religion. It's important to teach secular morality in school as ethics along with ways of thinking through arguements. Since we don't have either religion or philosophy we are become an extremely shallow culture incapable of having reasonable arguments.
edit on 22-3-2016 by luthier because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 01:10 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I attend mass regularly and like you, I haven't yet had the desire to run amok and start killing or forcing conversion on anyone.

The OP sort of reminds me water-cooler-gossip. In an office, whenever you hear gossip about a marriage it's almost always about this guy/girl cheating on their spouse, running off with the babysitter or other such tales of woe. What you will almost never hear is something like, "Hey, have you heard about Jimmy and his wife? They got married twenty years ago and are happy."

I say the OP reminds me of this because he is correct that whenever you turn on the news there is an article about a religious extremist doing some awful thing. However, I believe the tirade excludes the other side of the coin. For example, you are never going to turn on the news and hear, "Churches across the nation hold Sunday mass, no incidents reported."

One other thought that I have from time to time when people assign all evils of the world to religion is how do they account for all the murders, rapes, muggings, slashings and shootings that are done by people that are in no way affiliated with religion at all? Could someone say that atheism causes murder, rape, muggings and shootings?
edit on 22-3-2016 by eluryh22 because: typo

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Hmmm...I'm religious, and I don't fit into any of those negative stereotypes you're portraying as fitting religious people. Am I a freak or something? Am I the only one? ::begins to panic:: Oh my, I feel so helplessly all alone!

Could it be that there are people on the planet who do evil things, and some of them happen to do said evil things in the name of, or under the guise of, religion? But no, that couldn't be right, could it? Because practicing religion forces people to automatically engage in horrible behaviors, while Atheists never commit horrible acts, right?

In case anyone is lacking common sense, it turns out you are completely and utterly wrong, or at the very least, easily fooled by your own confirmation bias. It's ok - I'm guessing you posted here because something in your mind was fighting against the obviously-wrong confirmation bias. That's a good thing. We're here to help!

Here's a list of just a few of the most well-known atheist murderers, torturers, genocidal maniacs, cannibals, etc.

Peaceful, Loving Atheists
Napolean Bonaparte
Josef Stalin
Than Shwe (ruthless Myanmar/Burma dictator)
Kim Jong Il
Jeffrey Dahmer
Jim Jones (Jonestown)
Benito Mussolini
Mao Zedong
Pol Pot

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 01:12 PM
link   

We all have our preferred delusions. Usually they are harmless, until they make us sick; emotionally and physically.

I see most Western religions focusing on negativity and guilt. Not really a healthy choice, eh?
edit on 22-3-2016 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 01:15 PM
link   

" You see it every day in the news "

This maybe your real issue. "If It Bleeds It Leads, the motto of the MSM.

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 01:19 PM
link   
a reply to: dazbog

People are generally tired of anything that annoys them personally on a regular basis. Way to be a person.

edit on 22-3-2016 by DrakeINFERNO because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I have trouble sympathizing.
I simply am not ever bothered by 'religious' people.
I am not accosted by people in the streets exhorting me to follow them.
I have been visited at my home by Jehovahs Witness members, but they were always polite. I took their pamphlets and told them that they needn't bother visiting anymore, and they didn't. Same thing with Mormons.
I have never had someone tell me that I was going to hell because of what they may have saw me doing in public.
Maybe I am special?

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 01:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

I see most Western religions focusing on negativity and guilt. Not really a healthy choice, eh?

I find that sentiment so odd. I'm not saying you are wrong because I can't speak for what goes on anywhere beyond my parish and/or diocese. I just have never thought of religion in that way. From my experience, beyond the Bible and rituals/rites, if I had to sort of "sum up" what is spoken about at church it is essentially:

- Do good for the sake of doing good
- Be forgiving
- Even in your darkest hour, there is always hope and/or you are never alone

Things like that. I suppose one could maybe categorize confession in the negative/guilt column, but the act of confession is meant to lead to a positive. Sort of acknowledging something about yourself (or an action) and choosing to address it. (No, one doesn't need religion to self-improve, it's just one aspect of religion though).

Anyway, again, I'm not telling you that you're wrong. I just found your post interesting.

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 01:26 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

This is the best approach you are taking. Some of the more angry atheists are still so mad at religion they give it too much credit.

It's best to focus on actual issues like if church and state are being mixed (yes like public schools).

Prayer in itself is not religious. It's a form of meditation. Budhists are pretty panthiest in most cases they still pray as a form of calming down, focusing, directing mental affirmations etc.

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Religion does more harm then good?

Never would've guessed.

Hopefully it FINALLY will die out soon

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: eluryh22

I think he is referring to the judgements. Like if your gay you are going to hell. You can only get to heaven through Jesus, that kind of stuff.

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 01:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: DrakeINFERNO
a reply to: dazbog

People are generally tired of anything that annoys them personally on a regular basis. Way to be a person.

DUH ............ WHATT ?

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 01:39 PM
link   

I can guarantee you the 200 people a month dieing in Chicago in gang wars are not religious people. The news doesn't cover that as much because no one cares.
a reply to: luthier

A lot of criminals, wise guys and gang members wear crucifix necklaces or rosaries around their necks. Maybe they think just because they have a crucifix around their necks, God will look the other way when they rob, steal and kill people.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join