It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Public #NameOurShip campaign could see £200m RRS vessel named 'Boaty McBoatface'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Public #NameOurShip campaign could see £200m RRS vessel named 'Boaty McBoatface'

An online campaign calling on the public to name a new £200m Royal Research Ship could see the newest member of the fleet sail under the title 'Boaty McBoatface'. The Natural Environment Research Council's (Nerc) #NameOurShip campaign has thrown up an interesting frontrunner, with RRS Boaty McBoatface taking the lead over RRS Henry Worsley and RRS David Attenborough. The new ship, which will take to the seas on a mission to study ice sheets, ocean currents and marine life, has been subject to an online poll asking the public to suggest and vote for its name.

Didn't know where to put this as being a Royal Research ship I figured it should be in the science section ? Move it to an appropriate section if needs be

But this is hilarious they've run a campaign to name their newest ship and a troll name is winning, I didn't ever think a day like this would come but I really really hope RRS Boaty McBoatface wins the race as it's the sort of name I'd come up with for a joke.

Life is far too serious so gems like this make it all that better and imagine the laughs all the harbour masters and other captains will have over this comical name, maybe it will a thing of the future to add some fun to an otherwise drab world we live in ?

I'm giving my vote to Boaty McBoatface for sure

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 06:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Discotech

That's just hysterical!

"Hello, I'm Captain John Smith. Commander of the fine ship Boaty McBoatface."

I hope it wins, too. But you know they'll go with the second choice...

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 06:39 PM
link   
That has truly made me chuckle, Boaty McBoatface, please make it so.

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 07:16 PM
link   

S&F for the amazing laughing session I had reading this.

These are my favourite trolls.

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Better than RRS Titan Uranus.

edit on 20-3-2016 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 07:22 PM
link   

LOLved reading this. Thanks.

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 07:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull

That's just hysterical!

It is funny and brilliant but all jokes aside this ship should be named after sir David Attenborough.. A brilliant man who would be deserving of this honour.

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 07:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Misterlondon

I thought it was bad luck for a ship to have a masculine name? At least Boaty McBoatface is gender neutral.

edit on 3/20/2016 by MonkeyFishFrog because: Forgot to wink

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 08:21 PM
link   

That's awesome. Sadly, these fun choices from naming contests are always passed over. Some day, someone will see the value in just going with it and will reap the benefits (public support, income, morale, whatever the relevant situation may be.)

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 08:38 PM
link   
If this name wins I will donate $200.00 to Charity.

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 09:49 PM
link   
I'm reminded of the time energy drink makers Mountain Dew let people decide the name online for their new apple flavor beverage. 4Chan got wind of their "DubTheDew" event and by the end of the day the number one suggestion was "Hitler Did Nothing Wrong" flavor, closely followed by "Gushing Granny" flavor.

Obviously they didn't let that win, but I certainly wouldn't let people name anything online after seeing that happen. There's trolls everywhere lol.

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 10:03 PM
link   
If only they would let it happen, but I loved the Titan Uranus ship picture, even better as it is real (unless PSed) - awesome!!

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 10:18 PM
link   
This is why you don't let the internet name things.

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 10:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Misterlondon

originally posted by: seagull

That's just hysterical!

It is funny and brilliant but all jokes aside this ship should be named after sir David Attenborough.. A brilliant man who would be deserving of this honour.

It most certainly should.

But I'm voting for McBoatface.

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 11:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Better than RRS Titan Uranus.

Yes Titan Uranus wins. But I'm all for the good ship Boaty McBoatface. Imagine how much money they could make selling tshirts, hats, and coffee cups.

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 12:56 AM
link   
If I remember correctly didn't Stephen Colbert win a contest like this through nasa?

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 01:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: iwontrun
If I remember correctly didn't Stephen Colbert win a contest like this through nasa?

Yes, it was a contest to name one of the new rooms being added at the time; NASA chose instead to name a treadmill after him.

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: iwontrun

it was a bridge in hungary.

en.wikipedia.org...

And he was screwed out of it.

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Personally, i love it.

Boaty Mcboatface..perfection.

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 03:20 AM
link   
"The fact that Boaty McBoatface is winning this #NameOurShip contest makes me so proud to be British twitter.com... …"

Couldn't have said it better myself

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join