It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unrest broke out in a Salt Lake City neighborhood Saturday night after what appears to be a shooting

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 01:32 AM
link   
There is already conflicting information.

There are reports the young man was violently wielding a pipe, not a "broom".

I don't think his friends/rioters are reliable witnesses at all.
edit on 28-2-2016 by Deny Arrogance because: (no

reason given)

edit on 28-2-2016 by Deny Arrogance because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 01:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Daedalus
a reply to: SharonGlass

lol, "attacks on children"... Come off it, will ya'?

You left out the bit in the article where the kid was armed with a portion of a broomstick, and was in an altercation with another man, when police arrived..

And all we have to go off right now, is the eyewitness testimony(which is worth pretty much nothing) of the dead boy's friend....because that's not gonna be biased at all.. ::rolls eyes::

Yeah, the cops just rolled up, and capped this brown kid for no reason at all... just like Mike Brown dindunuffin....except shoplifting from a store, assaulting a clerk at that store, and then assaulting a police officer, and later charging at that same police officer, intending to assault him again... riiiiiight..

Would you care to buy a bridge? I offer a wide selection, at fair prices, and with flexible payment plans.

'part of a broomstick'? You are so separated from reality there is no explaining this problem to you. When it happens to one of your kids, come talk to us.

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 01:38 AM
link   
a reply to: reldra

Agreed. At least WE would have some sympathy. This country is headed for civil war.

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 01:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: lightedhype
a reply to: Daedalus

He was armed with a portion of broom stick. The horror! :O

Just imagine the horror if he had like a whole broomstick !! perhaps they would have needed a couple of armored vehicles and some snipers on the rooftops for safe measure......

edit on 28-2-2016 by hopenotfeariswhatweneed because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 01:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: SharonGlass

Agreed. At least WE would have some sympathy. This country is headed for civil war.

I am not sure how many more children attacked or killed by police people can take. You are correct.

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 02:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

I am not sure how many more children attacked or killed by police people can take. You are correct.

Your post spurred me to attempt to locate the number of kids 18 and younger killed by police. I couldn't find hard numbers, but found an article discussing the general topic and a website tracking lethal situations involving LE.

www.mintpressnews.com...
www.theguardian.com...#

Until a clearer picture of the altercation and details emerge about exactly what transpired, I refuse to jump to conclusions as to the actions of the officers involved.

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 02:10 AM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Agreed. There HAS to be more to it than what we see in the OP's article.

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 02:13 AM
link   
a reply to: lightedhype

Ok, smartass, lemme ask you something: Have you ever been assaulted with something like that? And i don't mean a little love tap, that can be soothed with a couple of bitch-mints... i'm talking had the tar beat out of you with it..

I'm guessing probably not. Even if you're not that strong, due to the wonders of mass, leverage, and inertia, one can do grievous bodily harm with such an implement.

Please think before you type.

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 02:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Deny Arrogance

Any lawyer, prosecutor, or judge will tell you that eyewitness testimony is generally unreliable, and is nearly worthless. Doubly so, when the eyewitness has any relationship whatsoever to the subject.

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 02:19 AM
link   

I said "a portion", dear..

As i said before, we do not have enough information to have a clear picture of what actually occurred. It could turn out that the kid was hopped up on drugs, swinging at everyone, and acting like a lunatic, and charged at the police, or assaulted officers, or something... who the hell know?

"when it happens to one of your kids" Really? Appeal to emotion? You're going to need to do better than that. I care about facts, not feels.

I'm not even going to entertain your silly theoretical, until i know more about what actually occurred here.

(post by LibsAreBeta removed for a manners violation)

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 02:21 AM
link   

a reply to: lightedhype

Ok, smartass, lemme ask you something: Have you ever been assaulted with something like that? And i don't mean a little love tap, that can be soothed with a couple of bitch-mints... i'm talking had the tar beat out of you with it..

I'm guessing probably not. Even if you're not that strong, due to the wonders of mass, leverage, and inertia, one can do grievous bodily harm with such an implement.

Please think before you type.

Lol this is comical! I'm a 8 year marine vet with combat experience and i hate to burst your bubble but it's fairly simple to disarm someone wielding a stick/pipe. Especially a 16 year old against a fully trained police officer. Think before you type!

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 02:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

No, SharonGlass is insane, and apparently, so are you.

You'd hafta be insane to take an event that we know essentially nothing about, assume it's the cop's fault, and then start droning on about "attacks on children".... i mean seriously, how many innocent children do cops just straight-up assassinate every year? i'm thinking it's gonna be zero, because as brutish as police tactics are these days, they don't just roll up and cap kids for no reason.

Is a little common sense, and forethought too much to ask around here?

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 02:23 AM
link   

Any lawyer, prosecutor, or judge will tell you that eyewitness testimony is generally unreliable, and is nearly worthless. Doubly so, when the eyewitness has any relationship whatsoever to the subject.

As an attorney I say that is complete bs and laughable. Watch another movie.

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 02:23 AM
link   

I said "a portion", dear..

As i said before, we do not have enough information to have a clear picture of what actually occurred. It could turn out that the kid was hopped up on drugs, swinging at everyone, and acting like a lunatic, and charged at the police, or assaulted officers, or something... who the hell know?

"when it happens to one of your kids" Really? Appeal to emotion? You're going to need to do better than that. I care about facts, not feels.

I'm not even going to entertain your silly theoretical, until i know more about what actually occurred here.

Even if he charged isn't justification to use deadly force. What happened to rules of engagement?

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 02:24 AM
link   
a reply to: LibsAreBeta

Are you directing that at me, or the other user?

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 02:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Daedalus

Jesus Christ you wrote it figure it out

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 02:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Jahari

Yes, if you're a cop, or a soldier, assuming you've had the proper training, it's cake easy.. i'll give you that. I've had that training, assuming you're not BS'ing me about being a Marine, you've had that training, we know it's easy. Cops aren't typically given extensive hand-to-hand training(unless you're talking some kind of SWAT, or ERT group). They are trained, primarily, to use instruments that allow them to engage threats from a distance. Yes, they have Tonfas, or collapsible batons, and they're taught basics, but nothing seriously advanced.

The average response to someone trying to hit you, is to raise an arm, or arms, to shield your head/face/neck/torso/etc. Your average beat cop isn't wearing any kind of armor on their extremities, so a downward stroke from an implement with enough mass, leverage, and inertia, applied to a forearm, is going to break said forearm.

Someone who presents a clear threat to the officer, is never going to be allowed to get close enough to actually land a blow.

My point is that the weapon, no matter how pathetic it may appear, still represents a clear threat. Police are trained to neutralize threats, much in the same way Marines are. I'm curious as to why a Taser wasn't used, the only thing i can come up with is that the officer in question didn't have one... and perhaps the department in question doesn't have them. I don't know that, any more than any of us knows any of the facts of what occurred here.

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 02:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: LibsAreBeta

As an attorney I say that is complete bs and laughable. Watch another movie.

As an attorney, i say that is complete bs, and laughable.

See, i can do it too..

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 02:45 AM
link   

a reply to: Jahari

Yes, if you're a cop, or a soldier, assuming you've had the proper training, it's cake easy.. i'll give you that. I've had that training, assuming you're not BS'ing me about being a Marine, you've had that training, we know it's easy. Cops aren't typically given extensive hand-to-hand training(unless you're talking some kind of SWAT, or ERT group). They are trained, primarily, to use instruments that allow them to engage threats from a distance. Yes, they have Tonfas, or collapsible batons, and they're taught basics, but nothing seriously advanced.

The average response to someone trying to hit you, is to raise an arm, or arms, to shield your head/face/neck/torso/etc. Your average beat cop isn't wearing any kind of armor on their extremities, so a downward stroke from an implement with enough mass, leverage, and inertia, applied to a forearm, is going to break said forearm.

Someone who presents a clear threat to the officer, is never going to be allowed to get close enough to actually land a blow.

My point is that the weapon, no matter how pathetic it may appear, still represents a clear threat. Police are trained to neutralize threats, much in the same way Marines are. I'm curious as to why a Taser wasn't used, the only thing i can come up with is that the officer in question didn't have one... and perhaps the department in question doesn't have them. I don't know that, any more than any of us knows any of the facts of what occurred here.

We're talking about a broom stick!!! His response should have reflected the threat. Shouldnt be so quick to shoot to kill. I was going to bring the taste up also, maybe some pepper spray, non-lethal munitions. It was so many other alternatives. I don't know the details maybe the kid was going nuts but I wholeheartedly believe shooting to kill in all situations is ridiculous. I give you more credit then your letting on, you can't see the right in shooting a kid dead with a broom stick!

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join