It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White House: Obama Will Not Attend Justice Scalia's Funeral

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 06:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
a reply to: Gryphon66

Agreed. It's gone beyond ridiculous into ludicrous.

Obama could buy everyone an AR-15, put on a bacon-suit and run through a mosque, and personally shoot illegal Mexicans himself at the border and the Republicans would somehow find problems with it.

Why he even tries?

Are you saying the left wouldn't find problems with it?

PS - The assumption that Republicans (and by this I am assuming you mean those of us on the right-leaning side of the spectrum which is a false use of the word Republican if that's what it really means; Republican != right-leaning) approve of the idea of someone running through a mosque in bacon is ludicrous and insulting. We simply don't think it rises to the level of hate crime that some other things do ... like chucking gays off of buildings, for example.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 07:06 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

the idea of someone running through a mosque in bacon is ludicrous and insulting. We simply don't think it rises to the level of hate crime that some other things do ... like chucking gays off of buildings, for example.

All due respect, but you obviously missed the point of MM's post.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 07:40 AM
link   
General Question:

Is it hypocritical to condemn someone else's use of "the right" when one is continually whining about "the left"?

Answer:

About as hypocritical as condemning a President who has never been shown a modicum of respect for his high office by Republicans for not showing "proper respect for the high office" for one of the most partisan, divisive jackasses to ever sit on the Supreme Court.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 05:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: WeDemBoyz
Are you suggesting that Obama should....wait for it....act politically correct on this matter?

No--setting aside politics and attending a funeral for someone who fits my description would be the antithesis of political correctness. It would be just acting like a decent human being--a human being who is in a job roll that necessitates setting aside political ideology at times and acting decently and respectfully.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 06:08 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

And how is him going to a service before the funeral and just not the actual one disrespectful?

Also, as pointed out in this thread and in the article, a president going to a funeral of a justice is not a foregone conclusion.

Think it said a President or Vice had only attended 4 of the last 7.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 06:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

And how is him going to a service before the funeral and just not the actual one disrespectful?

Because we live in a society where the funeral (and attending it, if possible) is the ultimate show of respect for a human being who has died. He's the POTUS--if he wanted to attend it, he would. He doesn't want to, and that's his choice. I have a right to read into it as I see fit. If he (or his apologists) doesn't like that, so be it.

Also, as pointed out in this thread and in the article, a president going to a funeral of a justice is not a foregone conclusion.

Think it said a President or Vice had only attended 4 of the last 7.

That still doesn't change my opinion. I would have the decency to show at least the societal norm of the most respect in his shoes, and so that is how I will judge him and every other president who chose not to do so. Precedent of funeral attendances of SCOTUS deaths means nothing...it is known as the bandwagon logical fallacy. That's not a good bandwagon on which to be riding.

Sure, I guess the "societal-norm" could be a bandwagon logical fallacy as well, but I'm using that to guide myself and therefore form an opinion--you're using your numbers to make it seem like what he's doing is A-Okay, and I disagree. But to each their own--that's why they are opinions, I guess. In the grand scheme of life, this matters little in my own.

ETA: I'm running a low-grade fever and feel like ass warmed over, so if I don't make sense right now, I apologize.
edit on 18-2-2016 by SlapMonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Oh am I an apologist? A funeral is not the only way to show respect, I just don't see how him going to one service is anymore respectful than another.

Barry isn't ignoring the death, just not going to the funeral. The action of paying respect is still there.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 07:27 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 08:33 PM
link   
a reply to: WeDemBoyz

Now that is rich, wonder if the same people would apply the same adjectives they used when talking about barry for cruz.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 10:26 PM
link   
It's not like Scalia was the Chief Justice I would understand that.But he's not and therefore his family should be happy the President even bothered to ask Biden to go.To me Scalia doesn't even deserve that honor.
edit on 102929p://2726 by mike dangerously because: Editing.

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 01:26 AM
link   
Maybe Scalia's family doesn't even want him there, at the actual funeral. The two weren't close, exactly. And Scalia's death is, unfortunately perhaps, somewhat convenient for Obama. So I can see it being awkward for both parties, where he to show up.

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 01:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: ExNihiloRed
Not sure whether this adds to the conspiracy theories or is just a sign of disrespect from Obama.

Can't expect him to give up his golfing can you?

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 01:49 AM
link   
If Obama found a cure for cancer you knob jockeys would criticize him for not finding it sooner.
If Obama saved a child from drowning you would criticize him for not saving him sooner.
If Obama died today, you'd critcise him for what ever happens 10yrs later.
Hell, if Obama never existed I bet you ignorant types would to this day still be criticizing ''Obama'' even though you have no idea why your doing it.

It's getting old watching the same people talk the same nonsense over non issues.

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 03:19 AM
link   
No doubt Obama is playing golf, on holiday or visiting a local Mosque on the funeral day...

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 03:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Agit8dChop

If Obama found a cure for cancer you knob jockeys would criticize him for not finding it sooner.

It's getting old watching the same people talk the same nonsense over non issues.

Wonderful way with words, throwing a gay insult at anyone who does not agree with Obama..

I thought I left the playground many years ago...

Sigh, Obama is not my leader as I'm in the UK and we have our own unreliable leaders but it still beggars belief with me that *some* people in the USA do not see how this man has been leading you down the garden path for years, taking away your rights, installing Radical Islam under your feet, ignoring any calls from the people to do what is right and using any old trick to retain power (not that its his trick alone) but giving away free phones and cash to grab votes, jesus. (is it even legal let alone moral to buy votes)

Obama like our leaders be they in charge or not are a JOKE here in the UK, we know it, they know it but as self appointed guardians of their own positions we do not have the needed power to easily remove them (voting, what a joke).

Obama has ABUSED his position, he's made executive decisions galore to nail people DOWN...Be happy he's going, be afraid who is next because Hilary is being lined up for the Oval office despite All the corruption...
edit on 19-2-2016 by Mclaneinc because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 08:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

We can agree to disagree, as I think the disrespect of ignoring and avoiding the funeral outweighs how he is paying his respects.

Of course, like I said, I really don't care...I have the sweats, a fever, and I ache all over. Barry's avoidance of a funeral is the least of my life concerns at the moment.

As for being an apologist, if you're going out of your way to consistently defend his controversial decision, I think the shoe fits.

a·pol·o·gist

/əˈpäləjəst/

noun

a person who offers an argument in defense of something controversial.

Actually, it looks like a perfect fit.

edit on 19-2-2016 by SlapMonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Ya agree to disagree that you have to go tot rhe funeral to pay respects and going to a similar service the day before is nothing. If that is me going out of my way to defend him, fine. But you and others are going out of your way to criticize.

The true disrespectful one here is Cruz, the guy that called him an American hero and can't even get there because he would rather campaign.

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

I guess...to a point...but Cruz isn't the sitting president, and I've said nothing about senators or presidential candidates having an obligation to attend. You are deflecting.

But whatever. I'm not going out of my want to do anything other than explain why I consider the action to be rather disrespectful--as I've already stated numerous times (and wish that you could comprehend), a similar service is not the same thing. Especially considering that the funeral is only a day later

Call me nuts.

From USA Today:

Obama's views on the Constitution and federal laws tangled with the 79-year-old justice's originalist approach, but White House officials said the decision not to attend the funeral was simply procedural, based on the president's large security detail.

Right.

That's why. And the Vice President's security detail will be dramatically less?

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 12:48 PM
link   

i can totally see the large security detail being the reason for not attending.

i doubt the judges family (who are really the important factors here) not wanting him there for this reason as well, especially if they weren't close.

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 01:02 PM
link   

I'm not going out of my want to do anything other than explain why I consider the action to be rather disrespectful-

And me the opposite, but you want to throw a label on me. Strange how that works out.

(and wish that you could comprehend)

Ah go fly a kite, I completely comprehend that it is your opinion that they are different and one some how more respectful than the other. But don't confuse me not agreeing with it as not comprehending it.
Y'all are the ones making the issue about this, sorry that barry isn't doing what you think he should do. I know it is VERY un PC of him. I am sure someone can find the number to that PC police that people are always talking about to force him to do what you want.

Also the Cruz comment was just that, a comment, wasn't meant to deflect but totally see how you can see it as that.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join