It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Day the World Exploded

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2005 @ 04:17 AM
link   
Well it already did at one time, Augest 27, 1883... 122 years ago. Currently I'm reading a Book, Author by Simon Winchester, who examines the legendary annihilation in 1883 of the Volcano Island of Krakatoa...
In that event, it created a immense Tsunami that killed thousands of people, as well as the effects of these wave were felt as far away as France. The Sound of the islands explosion was heard in Australia, India and on islands 1000 miles away.... Now that is powerful.

Can it happen again? I think so, but where?
I continue to look at this world on this site ... www.iris.edu... while I'm at work, and ask myself that question as well , where next? Its the quiet areas that concern me?
What are your thoughts?

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 01:04 AM
link   
the quiet areas don't really need to worry you. as you can see the plate boundaries are well defined by the purple markings (for activity in the last 5 years). geologically speaking, what you see here is pretty much where you can expect activity.

there's always going to be "the next big one" around the corner, but we aren't successful in prediction, save for major volcanic events. not much point in worrying about it since we can't change what's going to come next... all we can do is work on better detection and further research...

i guess my EAS degree made me somewhat fatalistic about geologic and atmospheric phenomena...

[edit on 10/1/05 by ishari]

join