It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Something I recently learned about Saul Alinsky

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Those of you that follow political and social issues are probably well aware of the name Saul Alkinsky.

Many of us throw that name around more like an insult than anything when we speak of his "Rules for Radicals" and the fact that Hillary Clinton wrote her thesis on him and his methods of social change, and she was also personal friends with him in her young impressionable college days.

In some recent research I was doing, I found this tidbit of information I had not known before. I thought some of you ATSers might find it interesting and perhaps more than that.

JFYI:

Born in 1909 to Russian-Jewish immigrants, Alinsky had prowled the same neighborhoods that Obama now worked and internalized many of the same lessons. As a University of Chicago criminology graduate student, he ingratiated himself with Al Capone's mobsters to learn all he could about the dynamics of the city's underworld, an experience that helped foster a lifelong appreciation for seeing the world as it actually exists, rather than through the academic's idealized prism. Charming and self-absorbed, Alinsky would entertain friends with stories--some true, many embellished--from his mob days for decades afterward. He was profane, outspoken, and narcissistic, always the center of attention despite his tweedy, academic look and thick, horn-rimmed glasses.

www.discoverthenetworks.org...

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 01:45 PM
link   
a reply to: queenofswords

I didn't read the article (I'm allergic to discoverthepropaganda) but I'm guessing that what is missing from the article might be the fact that he was also greatly admired by Mitt Romney's father George who brought him around to speak with other Republicans following the 1967 Detroit Race Riot. Also interesting is that Dick Armey is well known for giving copies of Rules for Radicals to among others, the staff members of FreedomWorks and that the group used it as the basis for their own Rules for Patriots.

I don't know how friendly Alinsky and Clinton actually were, she was only 25 when he died in 1972 (and he was in his 60s) but I seem to remember that she turned down a job offer from him. IIRC, her thesis was noted for being somewhat critical of Alinsky.

Alinsky has been dead for 40+ years and until Newt Gingrich turned him into a conservative boogeyman, he really wasn't somebody that came up too often in conversation. Have you by any chance ever read Rules for Radicals or do you just know that it's bad and that every lefty ever is "using Alinsky tactics!" (just like every Tea Partier?)
edit on 2016-1-26 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 02:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

I didn't read the article (I'm allergic to discoverthepropaganda) but I'm guessing that what is missing from the article might be the fact that he was also greatly admired by Mitt Romney's father George who brought him around to speak with other Republicans following the 1967 Detroit Race Riot. Also interesting is that Dick Armey is well known for giving copies of Rules for Radicals to among others, the staff members of FreedomWorks and that the group used it as the basis for their own Rules for Patriots.

I don't know how friendly Alinsky and Clinton actually were, she was only 25 when he died in 1972 (and he was in his 60s) but I seem to remember that she turned down a job offer from him. IIRC, her thesis was noted for being somewhat critical of Alinsky.

Alinsky has been dead for 40+ years and until Newt Gingrich turned him into a conservative boogeyman, he really wasn't somebody that came up too often in conversation. Have you by any chance ever read Rules for Radicals or do you just know that it's bad and that every lefty ever is "using Alinsky tactics!" (just like every Tea Partier?)

You missed the point, AD. That's okay though...no problem. I am not surprised to learn that there is a Romney connection at all nor any connection from either Chicago or Detroit affiliated politicians.

I am actually in the middle of reading as much info as I can find on the early webs that were woven with his influence and philosophies. Big socio-political machines take decades to build and the connecting dots become a tangled web indeed.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Alinsky was a "Liaison" between Unions and the Italian/Jewish Mafia in Chicago.

Lot of people don't know that.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 03:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
Alinsky was a "Liaison" between Unions and the Italian/Jewish Mafia in Chicago.

Lot of people don't know that.

What sort of liaison?

Can you produce a non-partisan link (ie. not from the right-wing blogosphere) that goes into details, rather than one liners 'insinuating' some nefarious deeds?

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 03:05 PM
link   
a reply to: queenofswordsdid he know Paul Ricca and Tony Accardo? If so that's heavy ish.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 03:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: areyousirius360

did he know Paul Ricca and Tony Accardo? If so that's heavy ish.

Yes. Alinsky worked with Union organizers and the Chicago Mafia.

He was a "go to" guy for communication and advice.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: cuckooold

He was smart enough to keep his own "name" undercover.

His public statements were clever P.R.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 03:20 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Ya but you had to be super important to meet Accardo and Ricca specifically, they didn't meet anyone. I'm aware of his Outfit connections, but just like any intelligence organization he would have had a specific handler. Do you have any name(s)?

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 03:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
a reply to: cuckooold

He was smart enough to keep his own "name" undercover.

His public statements were clever P.R.

Ok, so you can't produce any evidence, only supposition.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 03:27 PM
link   
This was an interesting article:

UNION GANGSTERS: Saul Alinsky

Saul Alinsky dedicated Rules for Radicals to Satan. He kept a framed picture of a mad bomber on his office wall. He found in Machiavelli an ethical democrat. He labeled Al Capone a “public benefactor.” He was a moralist for amorality.

A common sin of activists involves allowing the brilliant ends to blind one to the dark means. At first glance, Saul Alinsky appears a repeat offender of this familiar transgression. But Alinsky is really that unique figure so caught up in pursuing devious means that he loses track of the ends.

I am becoming fascinated with the mob connections to political activists and how they are able to justify killing people for the sake of "the ends justify the means" philosophical viewpoint.

Edited to add: (I may be leaving some things out on this open forum, but I hope some of you ATSers are equally as interested in these connections as I am.)
edit on 26-1-2016 by queenofswords because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Al Capone was out of power in 1933 and demented by 1940. Who, if he dealt with the Outfit I guarantee you it was Pat Marcy birth name Pasquale Marchione. He was there main political power and a made man/politician.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 03:40 PM
link   
a reply to: queenofswordsIm a literal Italian underworld historian if you have any questions I've read EVERY book ever published on the subject.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 03:44 PM
link   
a reply to: areyousirius360

Joey Aiuppa, Sam Giancana, and their underbosses used Alinsky for some Union "business".

Also, Alinsky was a Liaison between some people involved with loans from the Teamsters Union Pension Fund that loaned money to high mafia members for business enterprises.

Alinsky also gave advice to Union Committees during contract negotiations.

They say he was a financial wizard.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 03:46 PM
link   

a reply to: queenofswordsIm a literal Italian underworld historian if you have any questions I've read EVERY book ever published on the subject.

I'll keep posting what I know.

But I'm real rusty on some old details.

The Alinsky stuff is not well known and hard to find on the internet.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 04:15 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen
He was definitely instrumental in their political domination of Chicago if he met Sam And Aiuppa. Do you think Alinsky was involved in the 1960 election that Giancana delivered to Joe Kennedy?

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 04:18 PM
link   

So glad to welcome you to ATS and this thread in particular. I am being a bit cautious about posting some of the stuff that has me ....well... wondering about today's current political environment and some of the "goings-on" as some might put it.

Just making connections from that period of time through the 60's and 70's and on to the political careers that have risen up who have direct links to some of these figures is mainly what I am interested in at the moment. So, any insights, curious factoids, or such, would greatly add to the interest of this thread.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 04:20 PM
link   
a reply to: queenofswordsim gonna give you some names out of Chicago to research.
Paul Ricca, top dog no matter who had the boss position until his death. Tony Accardo,#2, Johnny Rosselli, Dean Cain, Sam Destefano, Sidney Korshack, Joey Loombardo, that will get you going on Chicago.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 04:23 PM
link   
a reply to: areyousirius360Also he dedicated his book to Lucifer not Satan which is odd because there is no Lucifer in Judaism. I think it was more for shock value.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Sam Giancana and Johnny Roselli were involved in a CIA plot to kill Castro along with Santos Trafficante out of Tampa because Castro was a mutual enemy.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join