It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The 9/11 Conspiracies Forum is a Mess. And it’s The Fault of Many Members

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 10:11 PM
link   
a reply to: AnonnieMuss

We're still human, with limited time, and lives outside ATS. Even when we review a thread we still miss things. That's why we rely on member alerts.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 10:12 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 10:13 PM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

Man, just when 9/11 evidence was getting good!

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 10:14 PM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

Time to call it.

2nd

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Did ATS actually discover 9/11 was an inside job and we had actual disinfo agents trolling the forum in attempts to shut it down??

If so...WOW.

I don't spend much time on the subject...was smoking gun evidence posted recently?

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 10:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: AnonnieMuss
The moderation on that thread was extremely troubling in my opinion.

The apparent expectation by some members that staff are constantly looking over your shoulders and seeing every post is the troubling part. In fact, it belies an inherent laziness.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Perhaps we could emphasize a thread, or series of threads, in the education forum about proper debate techniques, logical fallacies and other techniques that informs members on the proper way to approach a discussion.

I'm sure ATS is not interested in closing the 911 forum and educating people on such things would be beneficial across all forums. It will not solve the problem completely, but it may help.

I don't really see any other option in my opinion, except the options that would result in cries of the suppression of free speech.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 10:21 PM
link   
I always had the ideal that going to the mods was kind of acting a bit like a whiner or tattle-tail. I didn't realize the mods relied on it so heavily. I guess I'll have to change my practices a bit.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 10:22 PM
link   
I just spent the last 3 days having to deal with this forum.

I made several warnings in several threads, asking people to follow the rules, and to behave themselves.

A few did.

Most didn't.

This is the result of most not heeding the warnings.

If people can not behave themselves in there, and it is shut down, I certainly will not loose any sleep over it.

A 9/11 Mud Pit?

No Thank You.

One Mud Pit is more than enough (and more than I like).

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 10:24 PM
link   
i am a truther myself, and one of the first things you must learn - there will be attacks, those who believe the official astory typically use personal attacks, are cynical, smug, and sarcastic and condescending about everything.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 10:25 PM
link   
a reply to: CraftBuilder

There is a fairly small group of mods compared to members, and several thousand posts some days. We see a fraction of those posts, so without help from members we'll miss many things.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 10:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: AnonnieMuss

We're still human, with limited time, and lives outside ATS. Even when we review a thread we still miss things. That's why we rely on member alerts.

I get that. I really do.

But multiple posters questioned the OP's age and intelligence, and they dedicated their comments to these completely irrelevant facts. It's hard to believe that so many of those comments could be overlooked, but I will be sure to report such reprehensible behavior next time I see it.

None of the OSers were 'on topic' though.

Anyway, I will make sure to alert the mods of comments that attack other posters, in the future, and I hope the mods will be objective in their moderation.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 10:29 PM
link   

See, there you go right there.

Why do you have to call members, "OSers"? What's the point in such labels? It's intellectually lazy, and often the result of a pathetic knee-jerk just because someone does't believe your version of a 9/11 conspiracy.

That's the kind of crap that needs to stop.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 10:29 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

I like that idea, have it automatically change the words to something else..

"You're a government shill" could be turn into "You're a government flower"

"Disinfo agent" into "delightful puppy".

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 10:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: CraftBuilder
I always had the ideal that going to the mods was kind of acting a bit like a whiner or tattle-tail. I didn't realize the mods relied on it so heavily. I guess I'll have to change my practices a bit.

Please allow me to quote this so others may see.

WE NEED THE MEMBERSHIP TO ALERT THE STAFF TO ISSUES This is how the whole thing works...the glue that binds.

ATS has always been my corner of sanity. People typically treat each other with respect and civility here, and its always attracted me. We each should take pride in our community. Don't walk past that piece of trash laying on the ground....pick it up and throw it away (metaphorically speaking).

Not every alert will be agreed upon by the consensus staff operates by, and it isn't something that always happens quickly (real life takes precedence, for example). But judicious use of the complaint button is very helpful.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 10:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: SkepticOverlord

Why do you have to call members, "OSers"? What's the point in such labels? It's intellectually lazy, and often the result of a pathetic knee-jerk just because someone does't believe your version of a 9/11 conspiracy.

I have seen a zillion people use the terms 'OSer' and 'Truther.'

I had no idea one was insulting but the other was not.

Thanks for educating me on that.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 10:33 PM
link   

umm...

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 10:36 PM
link   

The moderation on that thread was extremely troubling in my opinion.

The apparent expectation by some members that staff are constantly looking over your shoulders and seeing every post is the troubling part. In fact, it belies an inherent laziness.

I am not lazy by choice nor inherently. The mods announced they were moderating and reviewing the thread. How is this polite debate?

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 10:38 PM
link   
I have to ask? Is the OS of 911 spamming allowed on ATS?

Just asking because I see quite a lot of it in the 911 threads.

But I agree with everything else the Moderators are saying.

I know, I know, I have been guilty of saying the wrong things to certain members on the 911 threads, however I am working hard to clean up my behavior. And I know when to walk away.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 10:39 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Don't walk past that piece of trash laying on the ground....pick it up and throw it away (metaphorically speaking).

Awesome analogy.

I'm actually mildly interested in what people have on the subject, but wading through the BS is exhausting so I just completely ignore the forum. I think having a little cool down is a great idea.

This whole shill/troll/disinfo nonsense needs to stop. It seems like it's everywhere, I'll start trying to remember to ALERT it when I see it. I'll also try to get over not hitting ALERT if it's said to me because I don't want to look like a tattle tale. That's like not reporting a crime and expecting the guilty party to not do it again to someone else.

Perhaps as a community we can try to band together and just completely ignore people when they start acting like petulant children (I realize no one will talk to me anymore). Hit ALERT, realize the adult thing to do is leave it alone and be the bigger person.

I get the impression people think that staff are paid and working in shifts diligently checking every new post or something. With very few exceptions I think the staff here is awesome and should be valued for the time they put in on this site.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join