It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to reset Win7 that didn't come with disk, recovery media option or recovery partition.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 02:45 PM
link   
About three years ago I bought a new Asus eee box from NCIX. It came with Win7. It of course didn't come with a OS disk and unfortunately in "Maintenance" there was no option to create a recovery disk. There is no recovery partition visible in the drive list and when I try to recover or reset to factory conditions through "advanced recovery options" it demands an OS disk.

So how was this computer meant to be recovered?

It is slow and glitchy, barley running anymore and I really just want to format it and start fresh on it.

Yes, I need it to be a Windows OS because the software I have to run on this machine doesn't have builds available for any other OS.

Cheers!
CB

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 02:53 PM
link   
The recovery partition is likely hidden.
Possibly you could get at it with an Asus recovery program.
That is, not through Windows Recovery, but an Asus Utiity: it is how I did it years ago on my ROG.

www.manualslib.com...

Something like that
edit on 24-12-2015 by ecapsretuo because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 02:53 PM
link   
a reply to: CraftBuilder

when the computer is starting up you have to use the F keys, here is a tutorial

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 02:58 PM
link   
press f9 as it boots up and follow the prompts assuming the recovery partition is still there (its normally hidden to stop people messing around)

anyway before messing back up your data as everything WILL BE LOST as the machine will be as if you have just brought it with no memory of whats happened since.

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Just download the win7 .iso files, burn them to a disk or use a boot drive.

Download a program to recover your current CD key and re-use it when you reinstall. If your computer is running too slow to do these things, perhaps use a different comp, save the files on a disk/USB drive.

only do this if you can't get the recovery partition to work.
edit on 12/24/2015 by eXia7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 03:08 PM
link   
a reply to: eXia7

That's a safe option if you already know what you're doing.

So DON'T take this advice, the wrong torrent could turn your computer into a zombie.

Go with my suggestion for safety.

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 03:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vector99

That's a safe option if you already know what you're doing.

So DON'T take this advice, the wrong torrent could turn your computer into a zombie.

Go with my suggestion for safety.

Well we are going to assume the OP has knowledge and common sense.

I've never had a problem downloading a proper torrent... especially with common sense.

So whats the OP going to do if your method doesn't work? Spend 100$ on an OEM copy of windows 7?

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 03:13 PM
link   

I'm assuming common sense and computer knowledge would mean the OP wouldn't exist.

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 03:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: eXia7

Download a program to recover your current CD key and re-use it when you reinstall. If your computer is running too slow to do these things, perhaps use a different comp, save the files on a disk/USB drive.

There's a possibility that this technique won't work. Downloaded ISOs of Windows usually can only be activated with a key that was received after buying the standalone version of windows. Windows that comes pre-installed and does not come with a recovery disk MUST have a recovery partition. The OP's computer should have the ability to make it's own recovery CD or transfer the recovery partition to a thumb drive.

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 03:16 PM
link   

I'm assuming common sense and computer knowledge would mean the OP wouldn't exist.

This is basic stuff. give me a break. I understand you want your advice to be used, I get it. But, I'm giving the OP a solid solution to fix the problem. Because if his recovery partition is corrupted its not going to work. This method is the best option for a fresh install minus bloatware / spyware.

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 03:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: eisegesis

There's a possibility that this technique won't work. Downloaded ISOs of Windows usually can only be activated with a key that was received after buying the standalone version of windows. Windows that comes pre-installed and does not come with a recovery disk MUST have a recovery partition. The OP's computer should have the ability to make it's own recovery CD or transfer the recovery partition to a thumb drive.

Assuming he made a back up, or can find his install disks. He clearly said in the OP he didn't have a recovery feature and it didn't come with disks.

@ OP Perhaps you should call NCIX and ask them if they would send you a disk. I guess they used an OEM copy, so you may have problems. there are ways around this but I'm not gonna talk about that here.

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 03:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: eisegesis

Assuming he made a back up, or can find his install disks. He clearly said in the OP he didn't have a recovery feature and it didn't come with disks.

@ OP Perhaps you should call NCIX and ask them if they would send you a disk. I guess they used an OEM copy, so you may have problems. there are ways around this but I'm not gonna talk about that here.

You can download software that will create a windows recovery disk.

www.wikihow.com...

www.microsoft.com...

By using Windows AIK, you can automate Windows installations, capture Windows images with ImageX, configure and modify images using Deployment Imaging Servicing and Management (DISM), create Windows PE images, and migrate user profiles and data with the User State Migration Tool (USMT).

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I would also like to add, you could have a piece of failing hardware depending on how old the computer is or what not. I've built a few computers myself, and sometimes when a piece of hardware is about to die it gets sluggish.

Especially hard drives. If your hard drive is 3+ years old I'd be getting ready to replace it soon. If you catch it before it completely dies, you can dupe your data onto the new harddrive. If you are running an SSD if could be on its way out also.

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 03:26 PM
link   

This is basic stuff. give me a break. I understand you want your advice to be used, I get it. But, I'm giving the OP a solid solution to fix the problem. Because if his recovery partition is corrupted its not going to work. This method is the best option for a fresh install minus bloatware / spyware.

Exactly, by being basic stuff you would assume the OP wouldn't exist. Sending someone that doesn't even have that basic grasp in the way of torrents could be bad for their computer, you HAVE to know that. Noob mistakes exist.
edit on 24-12-2015 by Vector99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Exactly, by being basic stuff you would assume the OP wouldn't exist. Sending someone that doesn't even have that basic grasp in the way of torrents could be bad for their computer, you HAVE to know that. Noob mistakes exist.

Well to really know where we stand, we need the OP to give us an idea of his skill level then.

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Thanks for the handful of things to try I'll go through them.

Does the recovery drive stay hidden despite me making hidden and protected os files visible in Organize/Folder and Search Options? I have everything set as visible and I still don't see it.

eXia - The product key decal is still on the machine. I didn't know the install was available online.

One more question - For some reason Asus, on their eee boxes always partitions the 320GB HD into 80GB (C) and what looks like close to the rest into (D, Data). It doesn't look like a hybrid drive so I don't know why they do this. Its a pain because some software doesn't allow you to choose where it saves files so the C partition fills up fast and I am constantly having to shuffle data from C over to D. So are there any related complications with a recovery using F9 because of this partition? Can I just delete this partition without disturbing the recovery partition or is it there some underlying limitation requiring this partition to be there.

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Why do I need to use a torrent? Isn't this a valid Microsoft site?
www.microsoft.com...

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 03:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: CraftBuilder
Thanks for the handful of things to try I'll go through them.

Does the recovery drive stay hidden despite me making hidden and protected os files visible in Organize/Folder and Search Options? I have everything set as visible and I still don't see it.

eXia - The product key decal is still on the machine. I didn't know the install was available online.

One more question - For some reason Asus, on their eee boxes always partitions the 320GB HD into 80GB (C) and what looks like close to the rest into (D, Data). It doesn't look like a hybrid drive so I don't know why they do this. Its a pain because some software doesn't allow you to choose where it saves files so the C partition fills up fast and I am constantly having to shuffle data from C over to D. So are there any related complications with a recovery using F9 because of this partition? Can I just delete this partition without disturbing the recovery partition or is it there some underlying limitation requiring this partition to be there.

In most cases the D drive is part of the OS files. Unless you have 2 separate hard drives that would be the only reason for a D drive. I wouldn't delete that partition. Check to make sure its not for CD-ROM I always hate doing reinstalls.

Personally this comp and my other one doesn't have a D drive as a hard drive, its a CD-ROM drive.

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 03:37 PM
link   
a reply to: CraftBuilder

There must be an option to create a recovery disk. Check the control panel and switch it to classic mode if you haven't already.

Does this link help you?

www.manualslib.com...

DO NOT delete ANY partition until you either take an image of your hard drive or create a recovery disk.

edit on 24-12-2015 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 03:40 PM
link   
The recovery partition is well hidden from windows explorer as its a separate partition of the disk and there's certain settings that mean it won't show in windows,do start->run->diskmgmt.msc and see if theres anything showing, might have to run as admin

top topics

<<   2 >>

join