It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homicides mount, pushing Baltimore to second highest total in city history

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 10:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
Actually Baltimore has been undergoing a CONSIDERABLE gentrification process for the last 15+ years or so. Our Inner Harbor and surrounding downtown hangout areas (Canton, Fells Point, Federal Hill) have all been VASTLY redone. Heck, Canton alone has undergone a significant transformation. It used to just be dockside warehouses and a grimy area. Now it's all shopping, eating, and a really nice place to live.

I was down there twice in the past month so I was able to see this for myself, however gentrification is not the only aspect for helping to reduce crime, you need an increased police presence in trouble neighborhoods a la New York did.

Yeah, like I said our politics in regards to that department are "more of the same". Everyone runs on cracking down on crime, but when they get into office they expect results with no effort put in by policymakers. It's a stupid circle of institutionalized incompetence.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Yeah, like I said our politics in regards to that department are "more of the same". Everyone runs on cracking down on crime, but when they get into office they expect results with no effort put in by policymakers. It's a stupid circle of institutionalized incompetence.

It is a sad situation. I kinda like Baltimore, it is a fascinating city, but until the policing policy improves you cannot expect a full recovery, both economic and social.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 10:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

What if we gave them non-threatening brown uniforms with awesome armbands and leather accessories?

Edited to please the OP.
We should look at what modern American educational methods have brought us.
And whatever has changed our culture that makes it acceptable to kill others with such frequency.

I suggest that the educational system is working more or less OK, but the family structures that need to be in place to "teach" those children how to behave at home and in schools are lacking or non-existent. The teaching of behaviors starts at an early age in the home. Babies out of wedlock to young, single mothers is not a way to build, or sustain, a nation. Lock and load.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 10:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

O.K., so call me entirely uniformed, but I'll ask in the spirit of "Denying Ignorance", what the H... is going on?
Gang wars?
Drug wars?
That is to ask.....what's the "source" population for these killings? I don't mean source as in racial, but rather as in "economic activity group"?

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 10:15 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Sounds to me like Baltimore needs to re-develop housing to more greatly diversify the population. This country can do the "fleeing" thing for only so long......it will eventually run out of places to flee too!

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 10:16 AM
link   

a reply to: TonyS

So.......what exactly would you propose be done in the "WHOLE" COUNTRY?

'Your papers, let me see your papers!'
A jack-booted national police force marching down every street, under the command of Jeh Johnson, probably wouldn't be enough for some.

Starting yesterday you have to register in federal database drones, where there is still no central registration DB for guns. Registering guns does not mean to have police on streets or anything like taking guns from people like you suggest and make it sound, all it should do is hold gun manufacturers / sellers responsible to who they sell guns to.

Someone is selling guns to people who are not supposed to get it. How this can be prevented? Crime rate will fix itself once that is figured out.
edit on 22-12-2015 by SuperFrog because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Drugs, violence, and improper police tactics on gangs. Oh and politics. Throw in substandard public city schools (like SUPER substandard) too.

Have you seen the Wire? The guy who made that series was a journalist for the Baltimore Sun who left in frustration because of the blatant corruption and assholery going on in the city. Hell the whole final season REALLY paints the Sun in a bad light.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 10:22 AM
link   
The inmates wanted to run the asylum with no repercussions for their actions.

That is exactly what they got.

Good on the Baltimore police.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 10:25 AM
link   

I would like to know the racial breakdown of these stats.

ETA:
a reply to: PresidentCamacho

Completely agree.
edit on 22-12-2015 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 10:26 AM
link   
a reply to: SuperFrog

Thats because air traffic is federal jurisdiction where as gun laws are, for the most part, state jurisdiction.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 10:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: SuperFrog

So.......what exactly would you propose be done in the "WHOLE" COUNTRY?

'Your papers, let me see your papers!'
A jack-booted national police force marching down every street, under the command of Jeh Johnson, probably wouldn't be enough for some.

Starting yesterday you have to register in federal database drones, where there is still no central registration DB for guns. Registering guns does not mean have police on streets or anything like taking guns from people, all it should do is hold gun manufacturers / sellers responsible to who they sell guns to.

Someone is selling guns to people who are not supposed to get it. How this can be prevented? Crime rate will fix itself once that is figured out.

One. W e already register guns.

Two. Holding manufacturers responsible is IR RESPOSIBLE. W e dont do that UNLESS the Guns MALFUNCTION and or ACCIDENTALLY go off.

Three. Sellers of guns already do backround checks. Its already done.Holding them responsible for a individuals actions is also wrong and would violate their rights IF they were in th edark to what someone will do with a legally purchased weapon. the only ones who dont are BLACK MARKET SELLERS who are CRIMINALS and who do not respect the law. Remember LAWS only work on the LAWFUL.

The problem with anti gun enthusiast is that we already do everything legally required but its not good enough for them. According to your opinion though everything should be outlawed because everything can be a weapon. Maybe we should register everything we buy or own huh? Boy th e money they Guberment would get then eh?

I think Gang members,drug dealers,who get shot should get no sympathy or even a investigation into heir deaths. Just protect the law abiding citizenry.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Thanks, I'll check that show out. Never saw it.

BTW: "assholery"? is that even a word? Maybe like......tomfoolery? Ha, ha, but I like it!

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Stupid qustion -

WHO MAKES GUNS that those guys sell:

BLACK MARKET SELLERS who are CRIMINALS and who do not respect the law. Remember LAWS only work on the LAWFUL.

Please, don't get me into guns are already registered... our government MADE sure its impossible for them to operate... just listen to this coverage... some of them send records on toilet paper?! We don't register guns, we pretend we do... and this is where main issue is...

www.npr.org...

They don't have that searchable, central database because the National Rifle Association and the gun lobby have successfully blocked that through Congress. They argue that a database of gun transactions would be a dangerous step toward a national gun registry.

Seems you guys don't really know how bad of a issue this really is?!

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 10:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I guess no one wants to actually discuss the news article in my OP and just wants to hijack the thread to complain about random political partisan nonsense.

Baltimore has been in a cycle of systemic corruption and violence for decades now. Couple this with urban flight and you have a recipe for historic murder rates. What they should be doing is taking a page out of New York City's playbook from the early 1990's and beginning the process of making many of the terrible neighborhoods habitable again.

Every single neighborhood these people inhabit were all once great, nice, clean areas. They will just destroy it all again. Waste of money. It should be plain as day obvious that no matter how much is given to them, it is clearly not enough and never will be.

Pcg

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 10:42 AM
link   

I used to live in Los Angeles which has very dangerous parts of town. On the South side police helicopters flying overhead is a daily part of life. I moved to DC because it is a safer place to raise my children; no way I wanted my children in LAUSD (Los Angeles Unified School District). I frequently go to Baltimore which is only about 45 minutes from DC. My wife, who's from DC, has told me horror stories about the violence in Baltimore. From what I've seen, it 's dangerous in places just like L.A but with a smaller population so the violence is ten-fold in B-more.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 10:44 AM
link   
a reply to: pcgamer11

Have you been to the once uninhabitable neighborhoods in New York City? Red Hook, Greenpoint, the Upper Westside, Alphabet City?

Gentrification coupled with increased police presence has made them hot spots for both professionals and families.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Lol. I just made it up on the spot, but definitely check that show out. It's critically acclaimed and I haven't met many people who started watching it and didn't end up watching all 5 seasons or so. It sucks you in. It also came out on HBO, so you won't get the bland and dry crime drama performances you get from shows like Law & Order. Heck, for the most part it changed the way crime dramas are made these days.
edit on 22-12-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 10:51 AM
link   

That is the greatest television show ever written.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 10:52 AM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

I'm surprised you aren't aware of this, but DC is often ranked side-by-side alongside Baltimore in highest murder rates.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: SuperFrog

NPR...LOL they are as belivable as RT. or stormfront these days. Accordsing to law we do register guns. We have three that are registered ourselves. We have STATE databases and not a national one for easier access to checking someones guns out. Its how we can track a guns ownership down and find shooters.(of legally purchased guns)

Theres no way to stop th eillegal ones though because they dont operate under th elaw. ALso alot of Guns come from out of the country too. Since fully autos are too exspensive for a thug to buy.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join