It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Many People Have Been Shot Near You This Year?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 11:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod
Here in B.C., lower mainland we have had some 70+ shootings with a few miles or clicks from my workplace in the last 6 months, a few deaths including one bystander and surprisingly maybe only a handful of wounded. It's an ethnic gang deal. My good friend was murdered about 4 years ago..shot in the face/throat..guess where most of these guns come from.

Im in Vancouver. People Don't get shot here, they go "missing".

2 sayings around here.
"Big mountains, bigger ocean" and

"No body, no murder"

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Been shot near me?

About 6. And I live in the UK....

Oh but guns don't exist here...... Do they?

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 11:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: OhOkYeah
2 in the last year. A third in the last 2 years.

I live in an area with next to no poverty. Even the poorest parts around my area are very nice compared to the inner city.

Same here , but with poverty . I live in an area , many coal mines shut down (losing the steel mill in neighboring town this year) , no jobs unless you know somone , a lot of poor folks . But they know how to keep their property looking nice and live peacefully among one another .

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 11:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Joneselius
Been shot near me?

About 6. And I live in the UK....

Oh but guns don't exist here...... Do they?

Ya, it's stupid. In Canada we have strict Laws. I took a non restricted course for a week. Then did a Restricted course for 3 days, then a week course to hunt. Then submitted my application to the rcmp for a background check where they interviewed me several times and called my family for interviews. Got turned down because a distant cousin was on a gang force task list.

Called my cousin and he didn't know he was on a gang list, he got in touch with the cops and they told him he was pulled over and there was a gang member in his car. LOL. Took me about a year to get it all straight before I got my PAL.

A friend of mine didn't want to go through all the so he went to surrey and bought a glock g17c for 1200 bucks off the "street".

Yup we need more laws.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 12:19 PM
link   
"There have been 6 shootings within a 2-mile radius of this point in the past year, 2 fatal and 4 non-fatal. The closest shooting was 1.11 miles away." 1 of these was the owner of a local bar who was involved in a robbery for his drugs that went bad, he died.

For a tiny, upscale, village of 15,000 that is quite a bit.

I changed the map to look at the city of Buffalo, which is about 1.5 mi from me in one direction.

"There have been 10 shootings within a 1-mile radius of this point in the past year, 3 fatal and 7 non-fatal. The closest shooting was 0.00 miles away." I would guess this is mainly drug/gang and domestic- related.
edit on 12-12-2015 by reldra because: (no reason given)

For Buffalo, I think those numbers are not updated. There have been more than that I recall from local news, most heroin drug deal gone bad-related.

This Buffalo PD Homicide stats 2015 tells me 34 people were shot and killed by gun this year in Buffalo. So, the map in the OP is not updated. That would be 1 per 7,600 people by population of 259k.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 12:37 PM
link   
I'm counting 8 within my county which has over 900,000 population. Fourth richest county in the state. Pretty safe around here.
edit on 12-12-2015 by ringdingdong because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 12:41 PM
link   
I had 1 in 10 miles. And it was the controversial shooting of a teenager shot by an officer for flashing his high beams at him and not doing what the officer said.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 01:22 PM
link   
This helps my point I been making for a long time now that America is not the same everywhere and there are about 25 places that make up the majorly of the statistics, so don't live in these places. I live near a big city and there was 13 deaths this year to guns within 50 miles of my house. 4 by police, 1 by defense, 1 accident so that leaves 7 by bad guys, there is a reason I live here since 10 of them were actually across the river in another State and out of the three on my side two were cop related.

edit on 12-12-2015 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 01:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Kukri

2 for me, 1 was a block from my house, the other on the other side of town.

My town has some of the worst crime of any area in the US (and I live in one of the worst neighborhoods) but most of that is assaults and burglaries, shootings are actually pretty rare.

Anyways, 2 for 15,000 people, that doesn't seem all that high.
edit on 12-12-2015 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 01:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Kargun

Yes lots of that..I had an uncle who was in a group lets say, the speculation is he was disappeared at an infamous farm Im sure your familliar with..again I say this is speculation.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Very interesting, great site to save and share.

In my area there were none, but those I did find 40 some odd miles away were from suicide and a couple police shooting burglars and such.
edit on pm1231pmSat, 12 Dec 2015 15:00:00 -0600 by antar because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 06:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ghost147

Interesting. Too bad it's only for the states, I'd like to see a Canadian version of this.

When my wife and I were looking to move, we had put a great deal of consideration and research through our local crime activity tracking, spotting all kinds of arrests/crimes throughout the city in the past 6 months. The place we settled in had nothing within several square kilometers. We need more information like this to be as transparent as possible, for everyone's sake

I was thinking the same thing as it would be interesting to see the Canadian plots for this. Admittedly I found this more a curiosity and have never researched my new neighbourhoods as you have. Interesting idea thaough.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 06:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
I also noted that the article says that CDC lists say that guns are responsible for more deaths than alcohol.
If you search the term 'CDC alcohol deaths' you will find that alcohol is responsible for 88,000 deaths per year.
CDC -Alcohol Deaths

I thought that sounded a little off! Apparently almost 100% off.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 06:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: TNMockingbird

I live in the middle of the state so, I chose the entire state as my location.
(I suppose I am bored as well!)

I was surprised at the number of "A" incidents indicating accidental shootings...
People in TN should maybe go to the range more often!

It would seem that some mandatory firearms training should be enacted. I can't wrap my head around the fact people leave unsecured and loaded guns laying around. (Probably get flamed for that)

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 06:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

It depends on what you mean by "near." If you mean in our immediate area, then none. If you mean more of our region of the city, then two.

The violence ramps up in the areas of the city you would expect it to, but pretty much everyone knows to avoid those sections unless you don't have a choice.

I'd say the entire city, or if rural the county. Although there is probably a few locations where a few city blocks would be quite an eye opener.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 06:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

2 for me, 1 was a block from my house, the other on the other side of town.

My town has some of the worst crime of any area in the US (and I live in one of the worst neighborhoods) but most of that is assaults and burglaries, shootings are actually pretty rare.

Anyways, 2 for 15,000 people, that doesn't seem all that high.

I live in a town of 5500 right now and as far as I know there's never been a shooting here. I did live in Kingston (120,000) most of my life and there's usually one or two a year.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 06:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: antar

Very interesting, great site to save and share.

In my area there were none, but those I did find 40 some odd miles away were from suicide and a couple police shooting burglars and such.

Glad to hear that. So far it seems most members that have replied seem to be in low risk areas. Those that aren't I'll just say take care and stay safe.
edit on 12/12/2015 by Kukri because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 07:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kukri
So I was bored and cruising my usual AN sites and found this headline. What we have here is an interactive map of the US which shows the location of shootings near you.

Being Canadian it doesn't actually show mine other than ! shooting in Watertown which is approx 38 Miles away as the crow flies (Gananoque, Ontario). And several in BC which is a continent away. I don't know if this is updated regularly or at all as I know there's been a few shootings in Toronto and Montreal but they aren't posted.

Anyhow here's the link:

www.thetrace.org...

You may or may not find it interesting. Should any of you feel like taking a screen cap and posting in the thread I'm sure others will find it informative as to where/how frequent the these incidents are. I think it would give it a slightly more human feel to the OP as well. Here's a capture of mine although it geo-located to Kingston.

How Many People Have Been Shot Near You This Year?
Zero.. and it was Zero last year, and the year before that and so on and so on, although there was a bank holdup with a knife sometime back..but then again guns and the violence that is associated with it is not really a thing in these parts.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 07:26 PM
link   
None in the town where I live now, and only two homicides in the last fifteen years. Also, zero in about a 25 mile radius for this year. This is not the most populated area, mind you...there are perhaps 50,000 people in that 25 mile radius and around 7,000 in town.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 07:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kukri
Glad to hear that. So far it seems most members that have replied seem to be in low risk areas. Those that don't I'll just say take care and stay safe.

The results from this thread are a prime example of why gun control is a hard sell. Much of the country has significantly lower 'gun violence' than the baseline national statistics leads one to believe. Its not a significant issue for many.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join