It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lake Vostok Update

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2015 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Just when you thought Lake Vostok was over with after a potential contamination of the Lake by the Russian drilling machine; they're back! Russian ice explorers have once again reached the lake at 5.12 pm on 25 January by diverging a second drill hole from the first drill hole. They say that they are sure that they have a pure sample this time. They hope to get these samples for analysis by the middle of May,”

They’ve cracked it – again! A Russian team of ice explorers has broken through to a lake buried beneath nearly 4 kilometres of Antarctic ice. The lake has been isolated from the surface for 15 million years and could hold extreme forms of life never seen before, perhaps even offering clues as to what life on other planets might look like.

Lake Vostok is Antarctica’s largest subglacial lake. It was reached once before in 2012, when a Russian team finished drilling a hole some 3770 metres down to its surface. They claimed that water samples they obtained from this borehole contained DNA that was unlike known bacteria, suggesting they may have found an unusual native species. But the find is controversial, not least because the samples were.

What says ATS?

www.newscientist.com...

posted on Nov, 27 2015 @ 10:33 AM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

I remember this from a few years back; @ one time I believe they referred to it as "Lake Alien".. lol

There is no other place on Earth that has been in isolation for more than 20 million years,' said Lev Savatyugin, a researcher with the AARI. 'It's a meeting with the unknown.'

posted on Nov, 27 2015 @ 11:32 AM
link   
DNA unlike any known bacteria.
A massive worry for mankind. If it is an unknown then our anti bodies will not have any defence against it.
Bit like the amazonian Indians and the Spanish influenza they brought to them. Wiping them out.

If Russia has this sample then we need one as well to ascertain the real dangers.

posted on Nov, 27 2015 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I remember there was something metallic on the beach or edge of the lake down there

posted on Nov, 27 2015 @ 04:25 PM
link   
I betcha it's relative to the same genome of the "Red Rain" and "Red Blob" found in Spain and Scandinavia.

posted on Nov, 27 2015 @ 04:48 PM
link   

This is a bad idea.

What if a form of life (animal or even viral) gets released?

This could not only pose a danger to mankind, but to the whole biosphere as well.

posted on Nov, 27 2015 @ 05:39 PM
link   
About time!
It's been what? over 10 years since i saw that docu, lost world of lake Vostok, always kinda angry about how it ended and never heard anything from it since.
Thanks for letting us know!

posted on Nov, 27 2015 @ 11:49 PM
link   
No problem. I, myself, have been wondering..."what's going on with Lake Vostok?"

top topics

join