It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

University of Missouri proves racial hypocrisy on Universities

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 09:39 AM
link   
a reply to: introvert

You must be joking.

Did you read the terrorist list of demands because it included white shaming.

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 09:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
a reply to: WhiteMale

Well...there is something going on behind the low participation rate of black Americans in the collegiate scene.

Actually, there is not as low as a rate as you would think.

About 82 percent of high school graduates from high-income families enroll in college, compared to 52 percent of graduates from low-income families. By comparison, just under 70 percent of white high school graduates go to college, versus 65 percent of blacks. Moreover, the racial gap has generally narrowed over time; the income gap has not.

fivethirtyeight.com...

The racial gap is quickly closing, but the economic gap is not. That same article shows the real problem is graduation rates, in which blacks are falling behind. I don;t know why that is. The list of demands issued by the activists at Missouri included a demand in increase black retention rates. I assume this means classes need to be changed so more blacks can graduate.

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 09:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: cenpuppie
How DARE those black kids band together and show some solidarity over what they think is racism. The fools! And those black kids on the football how DARE they step out of line too! They are there to bring that Uni money, nothing else, who cares about their academics.

It's getting to the point that white people can't create a racially hostile environment anymore, this isn't the reason why the forefathers slaughtered the natives, enslaved another group while spewing FREEDOM!, and set up laws so that only wealthy and well to do white males could benefit.

What is this country coming to?

Here we go again with the narrative. "There was slavery, and whites hate blacks, and so if you ever argue against blacks you are a racist!"

How about addressing the facts of the case? I clearly outlined in the first post how a bunch of ridiculous demands, including quotas and creating race inclusionary groups that doesn't include whites, all because two drunks yelled a slur.

I hope you are never accused of racism, because according to you denying these allegations would be racist. We are no longer allowed to look at facts, if someone says something is racist, we have to give in to all of their demands without looking at the facts whatsoever.

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 09:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: deadeyedick
a reply to: introvert

You must be joking.

Ketsuko's made a general statement that was not directly pointed towards this particular case. That is what I was addressing and I stand by my comments. White people are not taught to be ashamed of their skin color. It was an absurd statement.

About as absurd as this statement:

Quite dramatic, aren't we? I may not even completely agree with what these students are doing, but how can I stand next to you and agree with you if that is the sort of garbage you think or say? Some students stand-up for what they believe is right and they are terrorists?

Well, I guess we will have to come up with a new term for the real terrorists that actually go around committing acts of terror.

Hyperbolic, unintelligent nonsense.

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 10:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: introvert
a reply to: ketsuko

When did this come about? I've never been taught to be ashamed of my skin color, nor has anyone that I talk to. That is just extreme hyperbole, with a hint of childish zeal, that we would expect to come from someone at Fox or the Nutters at WND, but not an otherwise intelligent adult.

Here are some examples of universities confronting white privilege.

www.usfca.edu...

www.campusreform.org...

www.whiteprivilegeconference.com...

theprincetontory.com...

www.insidehighered.com...

www.browndailyherald.com...

www.9news.com...

www.campusreform.org...

www.uvm.edu...

coe.uga.edu...

www.pdx.edu...

www.sau.edu...

This is just the tip of the iceberg. Google white privilege university and you will find thousands of examples of protesting white people, or offering classes on attacking white privilege. In fact, it would be difficult to find a university where this isn't a big point on. So what is white privilege?

White privilege is a set of advantages and/or immunities that white people benefit from on a daily basis beyond those common to all others. White privilege can exist without white people's conscious knowledge of its presence and it helps to maintain the racial hierarchy in this country.

The biggest problem with white privilege is the invisibility it maintains to those who benefit from it most. The inability to recognize that many of the advantages whites hold are a direct result of the disadvantages of other people, contributes to the unwillingness of white people, even those who are not overtly racist, to recognize their part in maintaining and benefiting from white supremacy.

White privilege is about not having to worry about being followed in a department store while shopping. It's about thinking that your clothes, manner of speech, and behavior in general, are racially neutral, when, in fact, they are white. It's seeing your image on television daily and knowing that you're being represented. It's people assuming that you lead a constructive life free from crime and off welfare. It's about not having to assume your daily interactions with people have racial overtones.

White privilege is having the freedom and luxury to fight racism one day and ignore it the next. White privilege exists on an individual, cultural, and institutional level.

www.mtholyoke.edu...

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 10:13 AM
link   
For the next pres.

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 10:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

For lack of a better term, I will say that white privilege is a "thing", but the universities have taken it a bit too far.

What I was addressing was the idea that we are taught, even as children, to be ashamed of our skin color. That is simply not the case.

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 10:49 AM
link   

I think if you dial it back a step, you will find the graduation rate from high school, nationally, when broken down by race, is going to be just as disparate.

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 10:58 AM
link   

For lack of a better term, I will say that white privilege is a "thing", but the universities have taken it a bit too far.

What I was addressing was the idea that we are taught, even as children, to be ashamed of our skin color. That is simply not the case.

You do have your flame-proof undies on, I hope?

Like most things of this nature "white privilege" is a term that is so generally nondescript and thus can be used, overused, abused, etc.

By all "sides" ...

Keep that candle burnin'

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 11:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

I'm a big boy. I can handle myself.

And I agree that the term can be abused and overused.....by both sides of the debate.

But I think there is a big difference between discussing white privilege and saying that we are taught to be ashamed of our skin color.

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 11:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
You are not paying attention.

Racial tensions have been escalating on this campus since Ferguson. The black students have been complaining of harassment for quite a while now, with no actions being taken.

The association said in a letter Sunday to the system's governing body that there had been "an increase in tension and inequality with no systemic support" since last year's fatal shooting of Michael Brown in Ferguson, which is about 120 miles east of Columbia.

www.msn.com...

And you know that any of the accusations are true.....how ? Referencing Michael Brown is possibly the worst reference you could ever come up with, lol. lie after lie after lie, all proven BS....but they did get that cop haha !!

Since when does a group of hasty unproven accusations give anybody, especially a group of know-it-all 20-year-olds, a license to fire, hire, and rewite the rules ? That's astonishingly ridiculous.

Idiocracy is a funny movie. I seriously doubt that the people who created it ever thought that it would be dead-on, for people and events like this.

My favorite is the Rolling Stone rape story. Which of course is going to make Rolling Stone go bye-bye. They actually said, when discovered as lying through their teeth, "well it doesn't matter if this story is true, rape is so bad out there that we just need to tell the story any way we can".

That's the quality and intelligence of this movement.

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 11:52 AM
link   

And I agree that the term can be abused and overused.....by both sides of the debate.

But I think there is a big difference between discussing white privilege and saying that we are taught to be ashamed of our skin color.

It's also funny when you make note of a dishonest, foolish tactic....and somebody announces that you're actually the one doing it.

It's mind numbing when somebody screams racism 100 times in 10 minutes, then says "YOU threw the race card !!" when you make note of their jackassery.

It also happens to be Alinsky 101, right there on page 39 or thereabouts. Right there near "always keep annoying and aggravating your opponent, until they get mad, then you can say they're dangerous and threatening and scaring you".

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 11:53 AM
link   

I know you can, LOL.

Of course there is a big difference. The term "white privilege" began its life as a specific academic or sociological term.

That's not the way it's used here or in most pop cultural references.

Although, ironically the sum total of most of these not-so-subtle threads is that there is "Black Privilege" ... now that makes perfect sense, don't it? ... LOL.

edit on 11Tue, 10 Nov 2015 11:56:08 -060015p1120151166 by Gryphon66 because: Spelling

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 11:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: stevieray

It also happens to be Alinsky 101, right there on page 39 or thereabouts. Right there near "always keep annoying and aggravating your opponent, until they get mad, then you can say they're dangerous and threatening and scaring you".

I don't think anyone is surprised that you know the actual page in the manual on that one.

The tensions at Missouri U seem to be subsiding for now. Isn't that something anyone can see as positive?

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 12:07 PM
link   

From the first words in the first listing on your list of universities (University of San Francisco) above:

Becoming aware of privilege should not be viewed as a burden or source of guilt, but rather, an opportunity to learn and be responsible so that we may work toward a more just and inclusive world.

University of San Francisco - White Priviledge Resource Guide

Aside from the fact that this specifically states "should not be viewed as a source of guilt" ... do you disagree with the idea that it is good "to learn and be responsible so that we may work toward a more just and inclusive world."

If you do have a problem with that ... why?

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 12:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

I don't think anyone is surprised that you know the actual page in the manual on that one.

The tensions at Missouri U seem to be subsiding for now. Isn't that something anyone can see as positive?

Less tensions is awesome.

I would still like to see what really created the tensions, by whose claims, and whose vetting, though.

The Rolling Stone rape story is a decent lesson, in that regard.

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 12:18 PM
link   

And you know that any of the accusations are true.....how ?

And you are assuming they aren't true.... why? Because you think racism against blacks doesn't exist? Yeah, you keep telling yourself that.

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 12:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

From the first words in the first listing on your list of universities (University of San Francisco) above:

Becoming aware of privilege should not be viewed as a burden or source of guilt, but rather, an opportunity to learn and be responsible so that we may work toward a more just and inclusive world.

University of San Francisco - White Priviledge Resource Guide

Aside from the fact that this specifically states "should not be viewed as a source of guilt" ... do you disagree with the idea that it is good "to learn and be responsible so that we may work toward a more just and inclusive world."

If you do have a problem with that ... why?

The only problem is.....can we claim anything we want to, and demand that it be applied right here and now....by hooking it to the feel-good back half of the sentence ? We haven't actually agreed that this "privilege" exists, what it looks like, and where.

"You will make me a peanut butter and jelly sandwich right now"........."to learn and be responsible so that we may work toward a more just and inclusive world" ??

That would be just like saying "we can't prove AGW for the foreseeable future"...."but if we wait for proof it will be too late". "So give the UN 1 trillion dollars right now."

Or, of course, "we need to write about a rape that never happened, and the guys who didn't really do it, right now"........."to help stop rapes somewhere else, in the future".

You can't just invent a false but feelgood justification that makes everyone squeal and jump for joy......and hook it to various fake, inexplicable lead-ins.

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 12:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv

And you know that any of the accusations are true.....how ?

And you are assuming they aren't true.... why? Because you think racism against blacks doesn't exist? Yeah, you keep telling yourself that.

Ah, like clockwork. You presented them as true, and I questioned that.

So you announce that I have deemed them false, which I have not.

I have no way of knowing. And you have no way of knowing. So neither of us should announce one way or another.

Grasp ?

Could we ever both wait for the vetting process ? I mean before the accused all get shown the door, lol. ooops, too late.

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: stevieray

As I said, just like listening to somebody yell racist 100 times, and comment on that, only to be told "you played the race card".

haha, that old saying GTFU keeps popping up in the back of my mind.

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join