It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Checking the models: Is the big change happening?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 04:18 PM
link   
I am looking over a number of different charts. I look at the sea surface temperature anomaly maps and precipitation forecasts and I have to wonder if the big change is happening. By "big change" I am talking to the change from one type of climate to another. Most of the ocean surface in the northern hemisphere is in an el Nino type pattern. The water temps are very warm across most of the area. Then you look at the precipitation forecasts and you have to scratch your head.

For example in the next 16 days in Indianapolis we are forecasted to receive over 8" of liquid precipitation. That is an insane number for January.

San Diego, CA for that same 16 day period has 5" of liquid precip in the models.

Las Vegas, NV about 5.5"

Memphis, TN above 5.0"

Cincinnati, OH above 8.0"

There are more like this. These number are out of line for the first half of January.

What are your thoughts on this?

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Hmm..interesting. Anything about North Atlantic currents? That is the logical indicator if a sweeping change is happening to global climate. If it stops, the conveyor of warm currents and warm air moving up along Europe's coast stops.

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Here in western Pennsylvania it is 60 degrees AND ITS JANUARY true we are having an Indian summer here but the news said a winter storm from Ohio is on its way, that just ruins my whole Indian summer

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 06:20 PM
link   
I'm not really sure now how the gulf stream is doing. A site that I check that shows the flow has changed its system. It used to show the flow of the water relative to the water around it. It got to the point where the stream was virtually invisible. Now they changed the format to show the streams movement compared to nothing. So compared to no movement it seems ok. But compared to the normal ocean movements its pretty weak.

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 06:44 PM
link   
The Official ATS Weather Man

People, when Indy sees a pattern in the weather, I'd advise you to listen up. This is the very same person that just forcast that huge storm that dumped 15+ inches of snow and Ice in some places. The Local forcasters, and the national forcasters had not one clue as to the magnitude of the storm Indy forcasted.

Anyway, I think you are on to something. I have had rain for the last 3 days, and it doesnt appear it will let up soon. Also, whats up with all that snow and ice a week and a half ago, and now I have 55 degree temps?
The weather here has been screwy for the last 8 years. Its like we dont have a fall or a spring anymore. There is no fade of the season. Its just hot in the summer time, or cold in the winter. As for the temps we are experiencing now, It happens about once every four years, but never with a major snowfall befor it. The major snowfall usually procedes these winter warming trends.

[edit on 1/3/05 by Kidfinger]

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Can you please post links to graphs and stuff? Annd the gulfstream?

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 06:51 PM
link   
``

...big change happening?...

looking at tree rings Dendrochronology
not only dates trees but gives us information about
what the growing conditions & climate were like in history.

i know this idea, more or less, follows in the Uniformitarian Principle
school of thought....but it also embodies some of the 'abrupt change' you
find in catastrophism models...which is kinda what you are suggesting, implying, inferring

if you clicked the above link,
you saw the wavy line which fluxes above and below the average 'O' line

i personally think we're entering the warm-wet era as
anticipated in the Wheeler Weather Cycle...mostly ignored nowadays.

**if you want to check out other 'dating' methods....go to the contents page of that utk.edu site- (since some dating data can be a a proxy for climate & weather conditions)
using ice cores, tree rings, etc etc....you might find that this eras' warming
follows historical fluxuation...once we start approaching the theoretical
100-200 year or even pass a 500-1000 year temperature medium,,

...then brace yourself!

+

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 06:52 PM
link   
``
oops...its the year of the rooster, right?

re-post error

+

[edit on 3-1-2005 by St Udio]

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Do you think it's too late to stop anything? As Indy says, all any, and I mean any! (lol) of us have to do is look outside our windows and BAM! Something's wrong already. Proof is here, maybe we need to do something? prepare? Am I crazy? Seriously, just say I'm crazy, I dare ya. Anyone?

join