It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists claim they can reduce belief in God

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 08:52 PM
link   
"Scientists have claimed that they are able reduce belief in God by directing magnetic force into the brain, the Telegraph reports."

So magnets do work on human emotions and then the physical?
Do wearing magnets help sportsmen?

Its interesting, seems its gone beyond testing and is a fact?

The crux of the report is dealing with ideology, including religion.
So does this dumbing us down or maybe dumbing us up have any benefits, will we all walk around with magnetic hats, magnetic street lights, will people be less interested in conflict

It does seem it helps people become less confrontational
"Those whose targeted area of the brain was momentarily shut down reported 32.8 per cent less belief in God, angels or heaven. Additionally, they were 28.5 per cent more positive in their feelings towards an immigrant who criticised their country."

www.christiantoday.com...

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Welcome to the Ministry of Love.

George Orwell was right.

Anyone who reads this ought to be scared out of their mind. It means your thoughts and emotions might as well not be your own anymore, and if that is the case, then what is the point of living?

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 09:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

They can also increase your belief in just about anything. Or make you hungry, horny, sleepy, or whatever. They are focusing a magnetic signal into the physical parts of your brain that are related to these specific functions. What this proves is that all of these functions are physical and not spiritual. And that they can be manipulated. That is all.

As far as application, they could help you resist addictions to drugs, food, sex, etc. they could make people more docile and amiable, agreeable. They could make people blood thirsty raving murderers. Science is awesome. In the right applications.
edit on 19-10-2015 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Why would they want to?

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 09:05 PM
link   
a reply to: NewzNose

Because religion is a crippling addiction.

Like drugs, people only use it to feel better about themselves. But it doesn't work out like that. It is a false hope that leads one spiraling out of reality. Like offering a placebo to a critical cancer patient.

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 09:08 PM
link   
In seriousness, why are the masses stopping his kind of advancements especially control our minds.

Why change people mind on "anything" when, we already have the ability to do so ourselves.

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 09:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Woodcarver

It never surprises me the anger and aggression shown by some people to others.
This could have been a friendly informative thread but...
Lets hope magnets temper the atheist who is as fundamental as the fundamentalist religious people out there

Your first post was very good, why the second one.

Why be like that?

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Why do you see my words as anger? I think that says more about you than it does about me.

He literally asked a question.

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 09:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: NewzNose

Why would they want to?

I guess because those in power want to control us.

Key in the loud ominous NWO, end of the world music.

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 09:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Woodcarver
Why do you see my words as anger? I think that says more about you than it does about me.

On the upside of this tech, lets hope it helps stop the us and them mentality, lets hope it helps those with issues learn to accept others beliefs and opinions as valid to them if not us

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 09:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Woodcarver

Because religion is a crippling addiction.

Like drugs, people only use it to feel better about themselves. But it doesn't work out like that. It is a false hope that leads one spiraling out of reality. Like offering a placebo to a critical cancer patient.

Well why use this magnet thing? How do we know it's permanent? What if those icky religious thoughts just come back.

I think we'd do better to lobotomize all those religious nuts. /sarc

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 09:22 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

See, now that is anger. Lol

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 09:23 PM
link   
It won't help any of that. As soon as you remove the laser magnet, religious people go right back to the spiral.

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 09:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Woodcarver

Nope, just sarcasm.

Believe me, the day I actually bring out the anger, it will be richly and readily apparent I am unhinged.

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 09:27 PM
link   

are you a monkey?
edit on 19-10-2015 by hknudzkknexnt because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 09:29 PM
link   
I must have got the implant as a child.
Prob slipped it in when i got my vaccine shots for school.
a reply to: hknudzkknexnt

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 09:32 PM
link   
If magnetic fields will make the religious irreligious, I wonder if they'd work to get the gay out, too.

There's a lot of applications to consider with this "psychoactive technology".

Now where did I put my leeches...

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Wasn't able to read the whole piece, but the abstract of said study has some details to offer:

People cleave to ideological convictions with greater intensity in the aftermath of threat. The posterior medial frontal cortex (pMFC) plays a key role in both detecting discrepancies between desired and current conditions and adjusting subsequent behavior to resolve such conflicts. Building on prior literature examining the role of the pMFC in shifts in relatively low-level decision processes, we demonstrate that the pMFC mediates adjustments in adherence to political and religious ideologies. We presented participants with a reminder of death and a critique of their in-group ostensibly written by a member of an out-group, then experimentally decreased both avowed belief in God and out-group derogation by down-regulating pMFC activity via transcranial magnetic stimulation. The results provide the first evidence that group prejudice and religious belief are susceptible to targeted neuromodulation, and point to a shared cognitive mechanism underlying concrete and abstract decision processes. We discuss the implications of these findings for further research characterizing the cognitive and affective mechanisms at play.

scan.oxfordjournals.org...

The only thing that seems to have an effect is fear, but they can 'chime in' there and vamp up following abstract decision processes. Scary sh!t.
Don't wanna know what they test secretly. Interesting though, thanks for sharing!

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Reminds me of the movie, Equilibrium. No emotions, no religion (except worshiping their supreme leader), no feelings at all.

No, thank you.

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 09:46 PM
link   

No, thank you.

Dear consumer,

nobody on Ceres cares, you didn't like advertisement in TV either.
Please get in line for your extra dosis Soma instantly and have a nice obeyday!

Disrespectfully,
Your BigBrother

top topics

<<   2 >>

join