It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Customer Claims Religious Discrimination - Company Refuses to Print Fliers.

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 08:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Harvin

It is discrimination to deny printing the flyers based on a political belief and that should be common knowledge.

Can you cite the law that Constitutionally protects "political beliefs"? I can only find sources that cite these classes as protected:

Equal Pay/Compensation
Genetic Information
Harassment
National Origin
Pregnancy
Race/Color
Religion
Retaliation
Sex
Sexual Harassment
www.eeoc.gov...

edit on 13-9-2015 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 08:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Harvin

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic
a reply to: neo96

The difference is explained here. www.abovetopsecret.com...

originally posted by: neo96
Shame that doesn't apply to wedding cakes.

The baker makes wedding cakes for other customers, he should make them for gay people.

This printer employee wouldn't have printed this flier for other customers, so shouldn't be compelled to print them for anyone.

You are contradicting yourself. You also show many of the qualities of what you protest. This is why i pointed out the spelling mistake too. A dictator should be able to spell the word "Depot".

People make mistakes. It's not about being able to spell but about making a mistake in haste. So don't be a douche about it, and stick to the subject instead of picking out irrelevant issues (such as spelling) that have NOTHING to do with the subject.

I frequently make mistakes in haste and failure to proofread, and I have an English degree.

So come off your horse.
edit on 13-9-2015 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 08:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence

The baker makes wedding cakes for other customers, he should make them for gay people.

This printer employee wouldn't have printed this flier for other customers, so shouldn't be compelled to print them for anyone.

You are contradicting yourself. You also show many of the qualities of what you protest. This is why i pointed out the spelling mistake too. A dictator should be able to spell the word "Depot".

People make mistakes. It's not about being able to spell but about making a mistake in haste. So don't be a douche about it, and stick to the subject instead of picking out irrelevant issues (such as spelling) that have NOTHING to do with the subject.

I frequently make mistakes in haste and failure to proofread, and I have an English degree.

So come off your horse.

OK, so lets drop it and dont be a douche about it.

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 08:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword

It is discrimination to deny printing the flyers based on a political belief and that should be common knowledge.

Can you cite the law that Constitutionally protects "political beliefs"? I can only find sources that cite these classes as protected:

Equal Pay/Compensation
Genetic Information
Harassment
National Origin
Pregnancy
Race/Color
Religion
Retaliation
Sex
Sexual Harassment
www.eeoc.gov...

I am assuming that your post agreeing with me was unintentional. Seems as though you are confused unless you are agreeing with me.

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Nope. I can't find anything that backs up your assertion that "political beliefs" are Constitutionally protected from discrimination. Can you explain your position without using cryptic word play?

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 08:28 PM
link   
All that said, they can refuse her the right to display or distribute the material at the office depot. They cannot prevent a person from posting on the pole in front of the store. Though they can call the local authorities and town ordinances can make an assessment as to weather the signs are in violation. Personally, I prefer that no signs are made.

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 08:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence

People make mistakes.

This was one Hell-of-a-time to make a "mistake" wasn't it !!

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 08:30 PM
link   

All that said, they can refuse her the right to display or distribute the material at the office depot. They cannot prevent a person from posting on the pole in front of the store. Though they can call the local authorities and town ordinances can make an assessment as to weather the signs are in violation. Personally, I prefer that no signs are made.

Are you daft? This issue isn't about anyone's right to display flyers. It's about an Office Depo...(t) clerk refusing to print them.

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Nope. I can't find anything that backs up your assertion that "political beliefs" are Constitutionally protected from discrimination. Can you explain your position without using cryptic word play?

I am not aware of "cryptic word play". What is cryptic about it?

As to your other assertion, you can start here:

LINK

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Are you daft? This issue isn't about anyone's right to display flyers. It's about an Office Depo...(t) clerk refusing to print them.

Seriously. . . are you intoxicated? I was pointing out what actions can be taken by office depot should the occasion arise. . .it was an EXAMPLE.
edit on 13-9-2015 by Harvin because: Editing. Should be doing school work.

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 08:45 PM
link   

And, what does her right to post a flyer on a public telephone pole have to do Office Depo....(t)'s refusal to print her hateful message.

Still waiting for your proof that Political beliefs are Constitutionally protected from discrimination.

ETA: I'm not going to on a scavenger hunt to do your homework for you. By the way, Office Depo....(t) is NOT a government agency.

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 08:54 PM
link   

In Illinois these types of discrimination are covered.

Race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, age 40 and above, ancestry, marital status, citizenship status, physical or mental handicap, military duty status or discharge status (with exceptions), genetic testing (under Genetic Information Privacy Act), retaliation, medical marijuana*, expunged or sealed criminal history

www.ncsl.org...

Political affiliation is not covered. Though 2 states and D.C. have that covered. Depends on the state. [edit] - This is for employment.

Also read this: en.wikipedia.org...
Political affiliation is not a part of protected class.

edit on 9/13/2015 by Deaf Alien because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 09:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

Are you serious? Your links have nothing to do with this discussion and are two totally separate issues.

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Wow are you for real? You are the one who claimed that political affiliation is protected against discrimination.

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Seems we don't know what you're talking about. Can you explain to us why you think that this woman's Civil Rights were violated by Office Depo....(t)?

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Anyway back to the topic. The lady in the article wasn't being discriminated against because of her religion. The Office Depot has that policy about printing certain kinds of fliers. That applies to EVERYONE, be it Christians, atheists, Mormons, etc. etc.

So no discrimination here.

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 09:19 PM
link   

At least based on home despots follow up, it wasnt about a company standard, so the employee personally objected or didn't understand the company policy. Either way Cool

Whatever, baker, printer employee, object away. Think it's a successful business model have at it. If I felt discriminated against under no circumstances is the business getting their hands on my money, I'm putting my butt in the car and going down the road. Problem identified, problem solved. Guess I'm heartless or a realist, whatever.

On page two of this thread is the link to the flyer, no pictures, so wasn't graphic, copyrighted unless you know it is not sure how you determine that, persecution of a group, stats and a prayer. Guess she did go to another store and cool, that's how to handle it not understanding why everyone feels the need to go whine to the media all the time.

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 09:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

Sounds like "retaliation" would have been the lawsuit basis.

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 09:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien

Wow are you for real? You are the one who claimed that political affiliation is protected against discrimination.

I never used the term "protected", nor am I making claims. I provided the link that ensures the right to print the flyers. Businesses can have their own policies, but nothing on the flyers was illegal to print. They also need a good reason to discriminate. For example, an establishment can have a "no shoes or no shirts" policy and cite a public health concern.

Do you support establishments that would refuse service because a patron is a democrat or a republican? or refusing entry to the golf course because a person is a member of the "Critical Thinkers Society"?

All you have to do is read the definition of discrimination since that is the term I did use:

Discrimination is treatment or consideration of, or making a distinction in favor of or against, a person or thing based on the group, class, or category to which that person or thing is perceived to belong to rather than on individual merit.

edit on 13-9-2015 by Harvin because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Ok fine let's quit going off topic.

Ok so why do you think that woman was discriminated against because of her religion?

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join