It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

cover ups in rome

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Dave one thing i will say is the Orange order are lifting Warrants and closing lodges left right and center here in Scotland.
Scotland was once a hotbed for Protestantism,but now the COS and the RC Churches are closing rapid .
People have had the church wether it be the COS or RC up to here.
They tried to dominate far too much for too long now folk are following their own path and beliefs instead of the 2 faiths telling them what is right and wrong.

You also mention Orange parades which still have a large following on the West Coast.i will stake money on it that all Orange walks will be stopped within 5 years or at least without bands being allowed to participate.

Freemasonry and the Orange are losing membership (or should i say not gaining membership)really rapid which is i suppose sad for the Craft.

And to answer the question posed by another poster yes the Orange Order is Sectarian as you must be a Protestant of good standing order to join,you must not be married to an RC your children cannot attend a Catholic school and under no curcumstances can an Orangeman attend a Catholic Mass.

Freemasonry on the other hand is not Sectarian as you must believe in a Supreme being no matter what faith.
The Knights of Columbus are also Sectarian as you must be RC to join their ranks.

SMOTJ and OSMTH are not Sectarian as they are open to anyone regardless of Sex or religion.

Orangeism is over in Scotland and the craft is going the same way, 2 and a half dont make me laugh.

P

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 12:39 PM
link   
rosslyn why would the walks be stopped, is it because a large portion of the labour party in scotland are linked to the knights of columbus, opus dei and catenians? why all the talk about the act of settlement? Why no talk of integrating schools do you think this is ok to seperate kids from the age of 5 the rc church are the real biggots still wanting segregation! I myself want accomadation not segregation so i think this makes me better than the real biggots! I want my kids to go to school with catholic,muslim and jew kids so i dont think im sectarian but will stand up for my religion. The orange order celebrates a battle that gave us religios and civil liberty to all the freedomto worship where we want and what way we want. I f this did not happen i fear Protestants would still be getting burned at the stake and not being able to read the bible for themselves, btw try stopping the parades we have won 90% of these court actions the european union is good for human rights

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 02:39 PM
link   
By Robert Pigott
BBC religious affairs correspondent

The agreement of a Roman Catholic diocese to pay $100m (�53m) in compensation to victims of sex abuse takes the Church in America past another milestone in the settlement of its long drawn out scandal.

Several US archdioceses had to file for bankruptcy over the scandals
The fact that the Diocese of Orange, in Los Angeles, is spending so much in meeting the claims of only 90 people, with another 544 cases outstanding there, gives an idea of the crippling financial burden on the Church.

Lawyers working on the litigation say abuse could eventually cost $1bn.

Other dioceses have found the price of abuse more than they can manage.

The Archdiocese of Portland in Oregon filed for bankruptcy last July. Tucson in Arizona and Spokane in Washington chose to follow suit.

The Archdiocese of Portland has begun an advertising campaign, calling on anyone abused by priests there to come forward, as part of the bankruptcy procedure.

The story is far from over. A report published last February by a committee of inquiry showed that more than 4,000 Roman Catholic priests had been credibly accused of abuse since 1950.

There were more than 10,000 victims, mostly boys.

Fewer donations

Groups representing those assaulted by priests and church workers insist there could be thousands more.

They say it can take decades for victims of abuse to come forward, and that the average age is 44.

It may be some time before the Church in America recovers the prestige and authority lost since the scandal unfolded

People often wait for their parents to die, thinking that to reveal the abuse would shame and disillusion them needlessly. For its part the Church in America says the abuse crisis broke out suddenly and then died rapidly away.

However, the scandal's legacy could be profound, because it comes at a time of upheaval for the Church. There is already restiveness among American Catholics over the Church's reluctance to give lay people - especially woman - a greater role, and rebellion over the Vatican's stern line on contraception.

The sex abuse scandal is likely to produce greater pressure for a review even of the compulsory celibacy of priests.

There could be physical changes too. Congregations are declining in many dioceses, and the supply of priests dwindling.

Falling collections

The large compensation payments - coupled with the move of Roman Catholics to the suburbs - have already forced the Archdiocese of Boston to close a sixth of its parishes.

Boston - one of the four largest archdioceses in the US with an estimated two million Catholics - has paid almost as much in compensation as Orange.

Since the scandal first broke in Boston, churches there have been getting significantly less in the collection plate.

As part of the settlement in Orange, Bishop Tod Brown is to make a personal apology to each person assaulted by a priest, nun or church worker.

Bishop Brown told a press conference he knew that the victims had already begun their healing process.

However it may be some time before the Church in America recovers the prestige and authority lost since the scandal unfolded. news.bbc.co.uk...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rosslyntemplar
SMOTJ and OSMTH are not Sectarian as they are open to anyone regardless of Sex or religion.

I have to disagree with you on this one point...

A quote from an email sent to me by the Grand Secretary of the SMOTJ in response to a question. The emphasis is mine, of course.

The Sovereign Military Order of the Temple of Jerusalem and the OSMTH (see www.osmth.org) with which it is affiliated on the international level are not landholders in that strictest organizational sense either, though our name is an honorary recognition of the status of those who went before us, and we try to style our lives in their memory as Christians who protect the right of Christians to have free access to the Holy Land and Christians who help other Christians at risk elsewhere in the world. Hence, as an Order of Knighthood, we also are now a well-recognized United Nations Non-Governmental Organization with Special Consultative Status (an organization of "first responders" to help when crises strike around the world).

Seems as though they tend to favor the Christianity. Indeed, I do believe it is a requirement for membership. Also, membership in these two organizations is "by invitation only".

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 07:39 PM
link   
i thought this thread was about cover ups in rome

[edit on 7-1-2005 by svcadet32]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join