It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Regulated internet?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Anyone know anything on "regulated internet"?

I suspect it to remove anything to do with building anything dangerous[Anarchists cookbook/terrorists handbook] and probably removing all the options to create your own website. Face it, a 10 year old could make a free website in no time at all. but any thoughts on regulated internet?

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 01:48 AM
link   
This should come as no surprise to anyone. It all depends on how long it will take for the new world order to reach full force.

In Alex Jones film "police state 3: total enslavement,' he talks about microsofts plan to make internet use available only by thumbscan passwords, which will go to a govt database if I remember correctly. It means the end of any anonimity we had left. You can download the whole film for free by clicking here

Right now technology big wigs are saying they want a more 'organized' internet which is nothing more than a code word for 'no more freedom internet.' Websites like this one will probably be banned.

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Well you could try Google.

There are certain countries that regulate Internet use, as in what sites
that people can visit, in case they view something the Government
doesn't deem appropriate ie: certain religious content or political content.

Saudi Arabia and China are two that come to mind, I believe in fact
that Saudia Arabia have or are attempting to stop the use of Proxy
Servers.

There is also the good old Family Filters which is another form of internet regulation.

As far as being stopped from building your own website, I assume you mean, a website regarding criminal activities. Yes you can be shut down,
but there's always ways around anything.

My Views anyway

[edit on 29-12-2004 by madhatter]

[edit on 29-12-2004 by madhatter]

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Doctor DTA

In Alex Jones film "police state 3: total enslavement,' he talks about microsofts plan to make internet use available only by thumbscan passwords, which will go to a govt database if I remember correctly.

This won't happen for a long while, if ever. Especially since Microsoft doesn't control the internet in the first place.

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 03:49 PM
link   
If they DO regulate the internet no one will need faimly filters, or programs that block out certain words. Im sure parents would think this is a great idea, but people like us wouldnt get far talking abotu this unless we all huddle up once a year and write notes to each other

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 04:19 PM
link   
It is impossible to control the internet. You can regulate the WWW in part maybe but people can and will just make their own WWW without Big Brother watching them.

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I find it hard to believe, that people believe, that the powers that be, do not have the capability to view all Internet connections and pry into peoples computers. I have no evidence to support the idea that they have, but they have. Probably.

And it doesn�t surprise me that their planning something like this, after all at some stage all this openness isn�t going to be to the advantage of some government in the future, so there going to want to be able to control the input as to suppress those who speak the truth. Possibly.

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Cat's out of the bag and no pulling it back in....

Net by design is a collection of peer connections (a network of networks) and we then attach servers to have something useful to do beyond e-mail. Since there is no way to control what goes on those servers there is no way to control what's out there. Yes - countries can block access if they control the wires, the DNS and the access routers, but in most places, those are privately controlled. Block access, put up a new server - kind of a catch 22 and I'm sure the countries that do this have people scouring the net trying to keep up with every new server that goes up and P2P stuff subverts all of that.

You can also put up a wifi hub and have your own local net and nobody can stop that, so there is no way to pull it back now. The ID thingy - maybe but it would require massive DB servers - companies do this now but it costs $$....

Yes - gov has already been at work with the major ISP's to catch bad guys and Echelon is in place and snooping everything or so they say....

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Well say microsoft, or any other company manages to buy every ISP on earth, and stop distributing it. Then they come out with a new ISP made by this company, but has a new encryption in it that basically no one knows. and when you install this ISP modem into your computer, it comes up with the interface similar to the internet, but regulated.. So this way if you dont want to be a part of the regulated internet trend, then you have no internet.

It MAY seem far off, but thats one way to get around it

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 05:49 PM
link   
The answer to your fears is open source coding. If it's our code, they can't mess it up or conceal their intentions. Also, luckily, the tech edge is still held by the rebels, the misfits, the high school and college kids who would no sooner bend over for big brother than they would anyone else. Unfortunately, as more and more citizens of the world turn to low cost, mass produced computers, the potential for abuse increases. Most people don't know what goes on in their computer, nevermind the net. The forces of good still have the advantage, but for how long?

The solution is open source code, so that nobody can alter the internet structure without all the users discovering the modification. I know I've heard senators and heads of state talking about the internet like the it's the wild wild west. They mean to tame it. I personally don't think they've got the marbles, but we'll just have to wait and see.

I guess what it comes down to in the end, is that they can never stop the clandestine exchange of information. Nor can they destroy fully the curiosity of the people. However, they could always just pull the plug, and without power, there is no internet.

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 05:54 PM
link   
UofCinLA hit the nail on the head, as I've mentioned when this topic comes up in other threads, all the technology is out there to separate from the internet and form private networks that dont need the internet to exist. The internet can be regulated to all hell and back, and the geeks, coders, and legitimate hackers (see the MIT definition) will always find a way around, above, or under the radar to enjoy freedom of data.

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Heh heh heh--

My second son is bringing me his old laptop loaded with Linux as my holiday gift this year.

And then Microsoft can just go . . . play by themselves (even if my elder son has worked for them for almost twenty years). Yes, we have a little rivalry going on.

But the concept of "open source coding" is very appealing due to all this intrusive virus stuffings that come down the pike each and every hour of the day.

Years ago I worked with computers when a stack of cards or a mag tape weighed half a pound. I coded MTST's and ran DOS on an old portable Osborne that weighed in at forty pounds and I viewed my work on a three-by-four-inch square monitor "screen."

This will be fun. Never mind, WYSIWYG. No problemo.

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by defrag99
Heh heh heh--

My second son is bringing me his old laptop loaded with Linux as my holiday gift this year.

which flavor of nix is on the laptop?
Im running fedora core 3.

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 08:54 PM
link   
He told me, but I don't remember what it was. Sorry. But I'll know on Sunday when he gets here.

It'll be fine, whatever it is.

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 02:53 AM
link   
Off the topic really quick, but what is the difference between linux and microsoft?

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 02:56 AM
link   
What's the difference between a donkey, and a 100k european sports car missing two tires and out of gas?

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 04:04 AM
link   
Thanks alternateheaven....

The sports car without wheels does not smell and will still bag a less than intelligent babe.... I've never seen a Donkey wielding guy pick up a hottie....

Yup - no way to rope it in now - it has always been a peer thing and as long as the wires are private - no way to pull it in....

new topics

top topics

join