It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So, this whole Hulk Hogan thing...

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Hello people!
some of you might know the latest news about Hulk Hogan and his racist rant, but if not, here is an article that sums it up

full story

World Wrestling Entertainment fired Terry Bollea – better known as Hulk Hogan – after several recordings emerged in which he reportedly made racist comments. A story shared by the National Enquirer and Radar Online on Friday claimed to have “five independent sources” share details about the contents of a sex tape of the wrestler and reality TV star.

Almost every reference to Hogan appeared to have been removed from the WWE website Thursday evening, and all Hogan-themed merchandise also appeared to have been removed from the online store.

Just to be clear on where i'm coming from, the last time i ever watched the wwe was when there was this guy called jack the snake roberts, because he had a snake as his gimmick and i as maybe 8 and thought that was badass.
I don't have a horse in the race is what i'm trying to say here.
My concern is different and i want to know if i'm wrong or not, so might as well bring it to what has been always a very diverse community:

I think this is all dead wrong.
People seem to forget that the recording was a private moment, never meant to be made public, you should NOT know this information.
It was stolen from him and given to us.
Now my thing is this...when did everyone become so flawless? nobody have ever really said anything messed up in the privacy of their own home while angry, drunk or maybe during a fight when you are more interested in hurting the other person than using common sense?
What society are we becoming where no flaw is permitted and we don't even give people a chance at redemption? one strike you are out? over something he said about 8 years ago?
We will take away someone's accomplishments and cast them out like a disease?
I guess we all know racism has no place in a functioning society, it just holds us back, but is fighting intolerance with intolerance the way to do it?
So good people what do you think?
Adding this just to share my stupidity: i thought Hulk Hogan was his real name...it never dawned on me how ridiculous that was...kinda like the singer Sting is, well, Sting. no clue what his name actually is

edit on 25/7/2015 by IShotMyLastMuse because: typos and redundancy fix

edit on 25/7/2015 by IShotMyLastMuse because: added the last line to share my ignorance with the comunity

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 03:16 PM
link   
a reply to: IShotMyLastMuse

People seem to forget that the recording was a private moment, never meant to be made public, you should NOT know this information.

I get this point, I really do.

But that doesn't make it go away.

Losing business relationships is a whole different ball game.
It doesn't matter to them how it was known, it is known now.

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 03:22 PM
link   
It's not the WWE's fault that the videos were leaked. They still have to act in their best interest.

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 03:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

sure i understand that it's "out there" (even though i would like to hear his voice and not just read a transcript)

And yes, any corporation has to safeguard itself, so i totally get firing him for example, but erasing every mention of him from the website?
Isn't that taking things a bit too far?
"You said something ignorant once, time to format you out of existence!"

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 03:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

true, like i said in the another reply, but to remove any mention of him as well?
take away accomplishments that he rightfully earned (i guess at least)

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I agree, this was his private info being leaked. I myself in the privacy of my own home have said things I not only would not repeat in public but regret saying in the first place.

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Someone I know very well got footage of Justin beiber telling a racist joke. He sold it to the Sun newspaper in the UK for about $25,000. There's good money to be had with these meaningless stories

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 03:34 PM
link   
It must have been something else that pissed them off. They just used this as an excuse

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 03:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: IShotMyLastMuse
We will take away someone's accomplishments and cast them out like a disease?

The recording shouldn't have been released, but that point is moot now.
Hogan is free to say what he wants.
The WWE is free to act in their best interest.

Who is taking his accomplishments away? The WWE fired him.

I guess we all know racism has no place in a functioning society, it just holds us back, but is fighting intolerance with intolerance the way to do it?

It's the way many do it. And they're perfectly free to do that. I am intolerant of racists, sexists, heterosexists and other bigots and I will speak out against them. It's not about "fighting intolerance" to me, because I don't expect people to suddenly become tolerant. It's about stating my position. And I think that's what the WWE did.

originally posted by: IShotMyLastMuse
Isn't that taking things a bit too far?

That's for the WWE to decide.
edit on 7/25/2015 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Just like the whole Sterling incident. The man made a few off-hand comments and we flayed him alive in the media, while the woman who recorded the private conversation, and who likely attempted extorted him for millions and when it didn't go her way threw him to the wolves, walks away without a single cause for condemnation of her actions. Society has it backwards.

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Did they really erase any mention of him on the website?

I would agree that may be to far, and it might just be temporary thing.

Make him go poof until the firestorm settles and then put him back on there.

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 04:10 PM
link   

If I were a wrestling promoter, much less the owner of a billion dollar, publicly traded corporation I would absolutely not want to be associated with a talent, no matter how iconic they are/were, after something like this came to light. Putting aside how I feel morally about what he said (it's repugnant), just from a business perspective it would not be a good move.

People can get their hackles up all they want about the first amendment (which doesn't apply in this case in any shape or form) and SJWs all they want, but that doesn't change the fact that the WWE is free to associate or not with whoever the hell they want for virtually any reason.

Do you know that in all of its decades of existing, the WWE has never had a black World Heavyweight Champion? I'm not saying that it's because they're all a bunch of racists, but it's certainly not because of the lack of talented black wrestlers.
edit on 7/25/2015 by Monger because: typo

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 04:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

yes, he was also removed from the wwe wall of fame
details

that to me sounds like total overkill

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 04:19 PM
link   
lots of people are racist and lots of people make sex tapes

this is america

who the eff cares
edit on pm720153104America/ChicagoSat, 25 Jul 2015 16:20:52 -0500_7000000 by Another_Nut because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 04:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

Yeah, they do.

If ever there was a company associated with one face... It's WWE/Hulk Hogan.

I don't see where they had any choice, really.

A settlement of some sort, and a please go away.

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 04:22 PM
link   
WWE puts itself forward as a family friendly company these days, so having - arguably - the biggest franchise name ever in the business linked to this kind of thing is going to get a swift reaction.

Vince McMahon didn't get where he is today by not being ruthless.

Hogan will probably just go back to TNA. They're daft enough to pay him.

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 04:23 PM
link   
a reply to: neformore

I doubt he goes back.

Not sure why I know this, or even if its correct... But he didn't leave on the best of terms.

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 04:32 PM
link   
i just want to say right now that i am sorry for anything i may or might not have said in the past while being or not being recorded. my personal views will not reflect anything negative or positive depending on what you may or may not believe!

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 04:36 PM
link   
a reply to: conspiracy nut

from the looks of it, we should get that tattooed on our forearm.

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 06:12 PM
link   
a reply to: neformore

funny how things change.
so now it is family friendly?

you mean no more degeneration x with their 'suck it' motto while jabbing at their crotch?
no more steel cage matches where people are all bloodied up?

this is a joke

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join