It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FCC Regulation lifted

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2003 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Recently the FCC lifted a regulation on one person owning multiple media outlets in an area. Before you were not allowed to do it but the FCC has tried to keep this quiet and now one person can own many different sources of media in one city/state. What are your thoughts on this?

posted on Jun, 7 2003 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I would think one owner would look to consolidate his resources to enhance profitability.

I think it is an interesting idea to allow one owner to control more media within the same area simply because we are so used to the spectrum of reporting that removing variety will in essence decrease media awareness.

How many times can we watch the same news report? Surely no more than twice. Even that is somewhat pushing it. Once one person gobbles up the media outlets, then they will spiral and become stale, then I think we will see increased "pirate" activity in both radio and television simply because the audience will requre variety. There is a reason baskin robbins has 31 flavors...

posted on Jun, 7 2003 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Makes it alot eaiser to "Pide Piper" the people.

posted on Jun, 7 2003 @ 10:19 PM
link   
This must be a lobbying move by Clear Channel, the new monopoly of propaganda and government control.

Does anyone know who owns Clear Channel???

That info would be great to have.

Thanks.

posted on Jun, 8 2003 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Abraham Virtue
Does anyone know who owns Clear Channel???

Randy Michaels is the CEO, but I think Clear Channel is a public company. (but, I'm not sure). Salon has a great series of articles about Clear Channel. nasty company, they are. radio sucks these days, and I place the blame squarely at their feet.
I don't like the FCC deregulation, either. it places all the cards in the hands of huge conglomerates, who care nothing about local viewers/listeners or quality. it's bad for the consumer, but great for the large company, and guess who does the lobbying?

posted on Jun, 8 2003 @ 05:47 AM
link   
One bad thing with the possible FCC changes, would be for example, if a big company owned it's local newspaper... would that newspaper report only the 'ups' or both the 'ups' and 'downs' of that company.

new topics

top topics

join