It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Murder rates drop as concealed carry permits soar: report

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 11:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Astyanax

The fact that murder rates are actually falling shows that the authorities are doing their job.

If by doing their job you mean doing the killing for us therefor it is not considered murder then I agree..

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 11:57 PM
link   
a reply to: alienjuggalo

Your kidding right - the Moonie Washington Times. What a crock.

The Washington Times is a newspaper owned by Reverend Sun Myung Moon's Unification Church, through its company News World Communications. ...

The Washington Times has been a corporate funder of the American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC).[1] See ALEC Corporations for more.

About ALEC
ALEC is a corporate bill mill. It is not just a lobby or a front group; it is much more powerful than that. Through ALEC, corporations hand state legislators their wishlists to benefit their bottom line. Corporations fund almost all of ALEC's operations. They pay for a seat on ALEC task forces where corporate lobbyists and special interest reps vote with elected officials to approve “model” bills. Learn more at the Center for Media and Democracy's ALECexposed.org, and check out breaking news on our PRWatch.org site.

AGENDA MUCH?

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 12:11 AM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd
Go ahead and attack the medium since you have nothing with which to attack the presented facts.
If you have something with which to attack the facts presented, please show it now or I'll have to believe that your yelling about agendas is an echo.
If you don't want the responsibility of carrying a gun, that's fine with me. But when the facts clearly show that having a gun handy does indeed prevent people from being killed or maimed, you attack the publication which happens to present those facts which leads me to believe this is yet another case of the pot calling the kettle black when agendas are mentioned.

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 01:01 AM
link   
"Left to their own devices, the gun lobby has designed our national policy to restrict law enforcement and sell more guns to criminals, thus increasing gun violence, fear and ultimately gun sales". www.huffingtonpost.com...

Since "gun control" didn't quite pan out, the terms "gun violence" and "gun safety" are bandied about by those who detest gun ownership by law biding citizens. Contributing writers and bloggers on HuffPo, Salon and others will spare no ink when it comes to crimes committed with guns, and often attempt to lump legal firearms owners with said criminals. They predicted the streets would run with blood, ala wild west style, if restrictions are lifted, CCWs are change to shall issue, etc., etc. It hasn't happened, nor is it likely.

In rural areas, LE response times may exceed 10-20 minutes. In an effort to protect your family, wouldn't a gun be included with alarm system, dog, and training? Opportunistic criminals seek out easy pickings, but would the thought of an armed population give pause? I don't know the murder rate is dropping as a direct result of concealed carry(correlation v. causation), but in 26 years of carry, it has saved me from being a victim on two occasions.

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 01:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: alienjuggalo

The number of concealed carry handgun permits has skyrocketed since President Obama was first elected, while murder rates have fallen, according to a new report released Wednesday.

Since 2007, the number of concealed handgun permits has soared from 4.6 million to over 12.8 million, and murder rates have fallen from 5.6 killings per 100,000 people to just 4.2, about a 25 percent drop, according to the report from the Crime Prevention Research Center

Take that
an almost 300% increase in the number of concealed handgun permits since 2007 yet a 25% drop in murder rates..

I live in KS and we don't need a permit to conceal carry and guess what? I haven't been shot nor has anyone I know. Go figure.

www.washingtontimes.com...

To be fair, there's nothing that says murder rates & concealed carry permits are related. I could compare any 2 stats from 2007 and their 204-2015 counterparts and make similar conclusions.

As an example, I could also say "murder rates drop as US population grows". The US population has increased from 301.2 million people in 2007 to 318.9 million in 2014. And murder rates have fallen from 5.6 killings per 100,000 people in 2007 to just 4.2, about a 25 percent drop. Therefore, I conclude that the murder rate will continue to decrease as long as our population increases.

I could do the same thing for the increase in average NBA salary, increase in number of vegetarians, increase in States with medical marijuana, or anything else (Equal Marriage rights, etc). I could even make this partisan & say that the yearly decrease in murder rates is directly proportional to the rise of Senator then President Obama. The stats will match up for that example, as well.

That's why statistics aren't always reliable.

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Murder rates and violent crime has been falling worldwide irrespective of any country specific weapons legislation. The exact reason is unknown although there is lots of maybes.

Do you US posters ever look beyond your borders before posting nonsense ?

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 08:04 AM
link   
a reply to: yorkshirelad

You're right, they have been falling worldwide, but it doesn't invalidate the point of the article. One of the major points of contention of the anti-2A crowd is that more guns necessarily result in higher rates of violent crime. That simply hasn't proven true here in the US over the last 20+ years. While we cannot say that there's a definite cause and effect relationship, it is an undeniable fact that US rates of homicide and violent crime have dropped sharply since the early 1990s, roughly coinciding with the passage of state level concealed carry laws in the US (as well as a very strong resurgence in gun sales).

That's a major problem for the anti-gun left, not just because one of their primary points of contention has failed to materialize, but because, for whatever reason, the exact opposite has happened.

edit on 18-7-2015 by vor78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 08:16 AM
link   
a reply to: NthOther

There is a reason we're called the "silent majority", and the day we stop staying silent, is fast approaching.

Pushing people to their snapping point, is not a good plan. And we are damn near to the snapping point.

Fun times are ahead...

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 08:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: yorkshirelad
Murder rates and violent crime has been falling worldwide irrespective of any country specific weapons legislation. The exact reason is unknown although there is lots of maybes.

Do you US posters ever look beyond your borders before posting nonsense ?

So then would you agree that it is unattached to private gun ownership?

Quite often we hear, over and over and over again, that more gun ownership equals more violence and every time a CCW law was proposed in a state, the left promised us that it would leave the streets awash in blood but, obviously, that has not happened.

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 01:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: dukeofjive696969
Its funny because Violent crimes in the usa has been going down since the 90s, but yea its gotta be because theres more guns.

I understand not wanting to read a whole thread, but this is Page 1. It's not so much that concealed carriers are stopping crimes more than they had before (though I am sure is true), but the fact that concealed carry permits have tripled in the last 3 years and America hasn't become the Wild West you and all the other Libs think it will become when concealed handguns are introduced.

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 01:42 PM
link   
You can find examples to push pretty much any point you want. Lots of lands, lots of factors to take into consideration.

There's been an overall trend downward in serious crime in the US for a long while.

Not sure I can say much more than that without showing bias.

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 01:48 PM
link   
a reply to: alienjuggalo

I live in the UK so this kind of day to day life is out of my perspective however I do believe that given the ability to carry a concealed gun in a gun orientated society is a good idea. Considering so many of those that will buy guns or steal them to commit crimes, the last thing those criminals suspect is that the law is already at the crime scene, normal citizens of America, equipped to put them down. I can imagine this result is due to people having concealed weapons as at the end of the day, the criminals now know this. The stakes have risen.
edit on 18-7-2015 by BlackProject because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Living in england myself. I had a stuation where a black audi arived at my house and four guys dressed in black proceded to smash their way through my front door, they only stopped when a group of people was walking down the road toward them, they jumped in their car and left. Had them passers by not been waliking past god knows what would have happened.turned ot preuvious tennant a houste was a drug deader,If i lived in america i would have a gun 100%.right now i have learnt to undo my shoe laces when i retire at bedtime, every second counts!

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 04:28 PM
link   
I think the naysayers are ignoring the cold hard fact that more people are carrying firearms then ever before, yet murder rates are decreasing rather than increasing like the MSM would have you believe.

Proof that gun laws only affect law abiding citizens, not criminals.
edit on 18-7-2015 by Konduit because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join