It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We Knew it was coming: NAACP wants Stone Mountain CARVING removed.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Ok, so, some of us in jest mentioned this in other threads. Now, it appears that some people are pressing to make it happen.

The president of the Atlanta NAACP says the group wants Confederate symbols — including a giant carving at Stone Mountain Park — removed from all government-owned property and plans to pursue making those changes during the next legislative session.
LINK

Now, I don't have anything against the NAACP but this getting even crazier. First, we have the flag at the SC Capitol, then we have removing it from he Dukes of Hazzard's General Lee, Amazon and numerous other retails refusing to sell it, monuments wanting to be removed and GRAVES DUG UP.

They want to dig up graves and destroy that enormous carving! Did they steal the playbook from Isis??

Just as in South Carolina, this has to pass through the General Assembly, so I'm curious to see what happens. Both House and Senate are Republican Majority, so I doubt it would happen, but the intent is still concerning.

Although the carving may be one of the most recognizable tributes to the Confederacy in the metro Atlanta area, the Atlanta NAACP's call to remove the flag and memorials from state property extends beyond that to all state property and land, Rose said.

"We'll be making a list as we get people from across the state to take pictures and send us locations of various monuments," Rose said, noting that not all tributes to the Confederacy on government property are historical sites.

They essentially want to to erase a large part of history. And those who do not know or learn from history WILL repeat in in some form or another, and for those (MANY I imagine) who DON"T learn these things in school, these things are a piece of history and educating.

I think ISIS would be proud. Let's destroy the largest carved relief around, get rid of EVERYTHING related to the civil war, and sweep everything under the rug. Hell, even Concentrations camps in Germany remain as historical testaments to what happened in WWII, but they just want to get rid of EVERYTHING. They want to essentially erase history by this.

And then we have this:

Rev. Robert Shanklin of the Huntsville, Alabama, chapter of the NAACP told local news media that he wants the battle flag removed from the uniforms state troopers wear and the patrol vehicles they drive. The battle flag is part of the seal used by the Alabama Law Enforcement Agency and the governor's office.

I do not think the flag should be flown on state property, but I think ALL monuments should remain as they are (and Stone Mountain is a Civil War memorial/monument), if they are historical in nature. As far as the flag on a state uniform or an a state vehicle, perhaps they *should* be removed...

Making a list and checking it off? NAAISIS.

Le sigh. The historical cleansing has begun.

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Good. Can we have Mt. Rushmore carvings removed too?

+3 more 
posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Give an inch and they will try to take a mile.

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 08:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

Well, obviously you're a racist.

Hater.

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 08:38 PM
link   

It won't happen. There is a clear distinction between flying an enemy flag on a state building and preserving a historical monument.

One is history that can't be replicated, the other can be bought by the crate from China.

+20 more 
posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Maybe they should call ISIS. I hear they are pros at removing history they would prefer to erase and forget existed.

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 08:39 PM
link   
give it to them..

The confederation lost the war.. It is 2015.

I am surprised it has taken this long!!!

These flags "symbolism" should have been removed about a century ago.. Maybe even more...

What is the problem?

I do not see swastika symbols in Germany, in 2015 on governmental buildings. Both symbols represent bad stuff man...
edit on b432015-07-14T20:43:41-05:00America/Chicago73176 by Bicent76 because: (no reason given)

+22 more 
posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 08:41 PM
link   
How is this any different from ISIS destroying historical sites in the Middle East.

It is the same mind set!

It is a stupid mind set.

P

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Everyone just relax. Nothing is being banned or torn down or removed or stopped from selling.

It's just one flag in South Carolina!

Sheesh people!

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 08:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: pheonix358
How is this any different from ISIS destroying historical sites in the Middle East.

It is the same mind set!

It is a stupid mind set.

P

you do know the confederated had black slaves right? They held that flag up, and that flag represents their dogma right? Part of that dogma, was to dominate another race beating them, raping them, and forcing them to work, oh and not to mention MURDER THEM!!

I think it is about time to grow the hell up in AMERICA....

edit on b472015-07-14T20:47:21-05:00America/Chicago73176 by Bicent76 because: (no reason given)

+18 more 
posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 08:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Bicent76

It also represented rebellion.

And we can't have that now, can we.

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 08:48 PM
link   

We're not simply talking about a flag in this thread/OP, we're talking about a HUGE carving in the side of a mountain.

edit on 14-7-2015 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 08:50 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

so did the swastika, what is your point?

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 08:53 PM
link   

ok I will try and knOck inteligence into this thread, bring it on... I know it is about the SYMBOL pattern being advertised on FEDERAL AND STATE MONUMENTS AND BUILDINGS...
edit on b532015-07-14T20:53:58-05:00America/Chicago73176 by Bicent76 because: (no reason given)

+7 more 
posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 08:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bicent76
a reply to: beezzer

so did the swastika, what is your point?

You sir, are a liar.

Prove it.

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Its official now , The US has gone insane........
I mean completely bat sh__ crazy
Anyone know of a similar country. No , I didnt think so.
edit on 14-7-2015 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-7-2015 by Gothmog because: add

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 08:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence

We're not simply talking about a flag in this thread/OP, we're talking about a HUGE carving in the side of a mountain.

A huge carving dedicated to traitors of the United States. It should have never been made in the first place. So do you think we should have large statues dedicated to other traitors?

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 08:58 PM
link   
They have been at it with the park for quite a while now. Having backers against the symbols of the Confederacy and a go with other calls for removal being positive, it's seen as an opportune moment.

Remove the monument might as well remove all the history of the era. Who cares if families are offended, South lost the war!

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 09:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

Well, obviously you're a racist.

Hater.

You forgot homophobic sexist bigoted Southern white privileged Christian micro aggressive hater.

+4 more 
posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 09:03 PM
link   
LOL. Cry about what the confederate flag means yet we still love that american flag. Native american genocide, imperialism, needless wars killing millions, embargo on Iraq starving 100's of thousands of children. Foreign aid to genocidal dictators, coups by us intelligence in many countries, still tortures, only country to use atom bomb. Etc etc.
The argument is bad and you should feel bad.
Any argument based on what the confederacy did should equally apply to all flags
edit on 14-7-2015 by jellyrev because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join