It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Texas history books will downplay slavery, omit KKK and Jim Crow

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Social studies books for Texas public schools will minimize the importance of slavery in the Civil War and omit any mention of both Jim Crow laws and the Ku Klux Klan, the Washington Post reported.

Lessons covering the Civil War will list the reasons behind the conflict as being, “sectionalism, states’ rights and slavery,” in that order.

As Business Insider noted, the new textbooks come five years after the state board of education revised the curriculum. Republican board member Pat Hardy stated at the time that he considered slavery “a side issue” in the war.

The books are set to be issued to the state’s 5 million public school students not long after the renewed debate regarding the Confederate flag, spurred by Dylann Roof’s terrorist attack inside a South Carolina church last month that killed nine people, including state Sen. Clementa Pinckney.

Currently, students in Texas schools are required to read Jefferson Davis’ inauguration speech when he became president of the Confederate States of America. But according to the Post, they are not required to read a speech by Davis’ vice president, Alexander Stephens’ “Cornerstone speech” of 1861, so named because he called slavery the “cornerstone” of the Confederate government, while stating, “the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man.”
www.rawstory.com...

History by omission is a lie, it is of no use to anyone the Texas system is a fail and individuals involved should be made to do this walk...in a scene from Game Of Thrones..Shame!. ting ding! Shame!.. ting ding! Shame!
edit on 8-7-2015 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 01:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

Will this lead to the rebirth of Jim Crow?

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 01:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: starwarsisreal

Will this lead to the rebirth of Jim Crow?

Well if as the saying goes, Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it. is in anyway true we might just see a rebirth of it.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 01:21 AM
link   

When my son was study I g the civil war in his class the KKK is not mentioned his textbook is from the 80s. So don't think that's a new development. They had excluded them from student text books for decades. And the Jim crow laws was a paragraph telling you it started what it did and when it ended. So Im guessing they don't consider that to important in civil war. However later in their discussion of Martin Luther king I know they went over it because my son told me how black people had separate bathrooms.

So I tend to think this article is just trying to cash in on the outrage over the Confederate flag and make Texas out to be some kind of racist state. Just because Jim crowe isn't mentioned in discussing the civil war means nothing it's importants isn't until the 60s in US history when people stood up to have it removed.

As for why id say it's smart you don't want to try to teach kids about the southern Democrats and the politics involved this is advanced studies for later.
edit on 7/8/15 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)

+3 more 
posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 01:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr

Just because Jim crowe isn't mentioned in discussing the civil war means nothing it's importants isn't until the 60s in US history when people stood up to have it removed.

I suspect it was pretty important to those black people it affected before then. That seems to be the theme here; lets pretend none of it happened because it makes us look bad and we can't have that.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 01:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: spacedog1973

Just because Jim crowe isn't mentioned in discussing the civil war means nothing it's importants isn't until the 60s in US history when people stood up to have it removed.

I suspect it was pretty important to those black people it affected before then. That seems to be the theme here; lets pretend none of it happened because it makes us look bad and we can't have that.

In a school curriculum explaining the southern Democrats and how they created the kkk would take entirely to much time in a class that covers snag Ivan history. In and school age classroom they can only hit so much information. Could you imagine how long it would take to go into the reasons Democrats blocked equal rights. And how they resorted to violence to maintain the stays quo.

Most colleges will go into the politics of the civil war but not elementary and high schools.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Guess which State passes the laws on what can be printed in all U.S. school texts....Texas! Coming to a Public School near you is what you are saying.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 01:38 AM
link   

People who think the only slaves were blacks crack me up. People of all races have been/are slaves.
edit on 7/8/15 by Ameilia because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 01:45 AM
link   

So I tend to think this article is just trying to cash in on the outrage over the Confederate flag and make Texas out to be some kind of racist state.

Do you really think THIS is what will make Texas seem to be "some kind of racist state" ? This is Texas we're talking about, ask any Native American in Texas their opinion.

I grew up and went to school in South Carolina in the 70's and 80's, we were well versed in what happened during Jim Crow, Civil Rights movement, Rosa Parks, lunch counter sit-ins etc.

It is an important lesson and NEEDS to be taught.

If our Government really wants to heal the racial divide it's time for reparations.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 01:46 AM
link   

When my son was study I g the civil war in his class the KKK is not mentioned his textbook is from the 80s. So don't think that's a new development. They had excluded them from student text books for decades. And the Jim crow laws was a paragraph telling you it started what it did and when it ended. So Im guessing they don't consider that to important in civil war. However later in their discussion of Martin Luther king I know they went over it because my son told me how black people had separate bathrooms.

So I tend to think this article is just trying to cash in on the outrage over the Confederate flag and make Texas out to be some kind of racist state. Just because Jim crowe isn't mentioned in discussing the civil war means nothing it's importants isn't until the 60s in US history when people stood up to have it removed.

I think the article is making a link to the fallout over the Confederate flag, but I think it was good timing that the text books got released to the school system around this time, for many do believed that the flag and the civil war was all about Southern pride and culture, and the issue of slavery and Jim Crow is indeed a side issue which is simply not true, when I was a kid I picked up a cool looking cap with a confederate flag on it , none of us knew what the flag was or stood for it just looked like a kool design, that was until I walked in my history class, and my history teacher a no nonsense Irish American woman went berserk on me, she interrupted her regular teaching class to give us a history on the civil war and why me of all person shamed those who suffered and died during slavery and those who fought for my freedom, off course me coming from the Island of Jamaica with a slightly different history didn't know that at the time but I got her point.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 01:55 AM
link   

A Declaration of the Immediate Causes which Induce and Justify the Secession of the State of Mississippi from the Federal Union
In the momentous step, which our State has taken of dissolving its connection with the government of which we so long formed a part, it is but just that we should declare the prominent reasons which have induced our course.
Our position is thoroughly identified with the institution of slavery - the greatest material interest of the world. Its labor supplies the product, which constitutes by far the largest and most important portions of commerce of the earth. These products are peculiar to the climate verging on the tropical regions, and by an imperious law of nature, none but the black race can bear exposure to the tropical sun. These products have become necessities of the world, and a blow at slavery is a blow at commerce and civilization. That blow has been long aimed at the institution, and was at the point of reaching its consummation. There was no choice left us but submission to the mandates of abolition, or a dissolution of the Union, whose principles had been subverted to work out our ruin.

I call BS and shenanigans.

The Civil War was based on not only slavery, but specifically BLACK slavery.

Time to man up America.

Pay the reparations.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 01:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ameilia

People who think the only slaves were blacks crack me up. People of all races have been/are slaves.

We can have that conversation, even in an American context, but that too have been white washed because of the idea that Blacks were the "slave race" made permanent which is the basis of what many retarded racist based their superiority complex on, even when they are complete failure in their own societies.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 02:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: abe froman

So I tend to think this article is just trying to cash in on the outrage over the Confederate flag and make Texas out to be some kind of racist state.

Do you really think THIS is what will make Texas seem to be "some kind of racist state" ? This is Texas we're talking about, ask any Native American in Texas their opinion.

I grew up and went to school in South Carolina in the 70's and 80's, we were well versed in what happened during Jim Crow, Civil Rights movement, Rosa Parks, lunch counter sit-ins etc.

It is an important lesson and NEEDS to be taught.

If our Government really wants to heal the racial divide it's time for reparations.

This is all covered under black history month. And the discussion of MLK. Schools don't ignore it its covered morr every year in elementary school.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 02:02 AM
link   

A Declaration of the Immediate Causes which Induce and Justify the Secession of the State of Mississippi from the Federal Union
In the momentous step, which our State has taken of dissolving its connection with the government of which we so long formed a part, it is but just that we should declare the prominent reasons which have induced our course.
Our position is thoroughly identified with the institution of slavery - the greatest material interest of the world. Its labor supplies the product, which constitutes by far the largest and most important portions of commerce of the earth. These products are peculiar to the climate verging on the tropical regions, and by an imperious law of nature, none but the black race can bear exposure to the tropical sun. These products have become necessities of the world, and a blow at slavery is a blow at commerce and civilization. That blow has been long aimed at the institution, and was at the point of reaching its consummation. There was no choice left us but submission to the mandates of abolition, or a dissolution of the Union, whose principles had been subverted to work out our ruin.

I call BS and shenanigans.

The Civil War was based on not only slavery, but specifically BLACK slavery.

Time to man up America.

Pay the reparations.

Reparations not needed imo all the slaves had died out , what's needed just recognition and a new way forward trying to bury it makes for future conflicts.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 02:09 AM
link   
In my opinion more words won't help anything.

The black community isn't hampered by lack of words, the black community is hampered by poverty.

Hundreds of years of inequality is tearing America apart.

Save America ,Pay Reparations.

Keep history in the history books.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 02:14 AM
link   
Originally posted by dragon rider."This is all covered under black history month".

My response:

This is all covered under black history month.

This is all covered under black history month. And the discussion of MLK. Schools don't ignore it its covered morr every year in elementary school.

Maybe us White Folk should stop for a second and count our blessings that we don't NEED a white history month.

edit on 8-7-2015 by abe froman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 02:22 AM
link   
80% of Confederate soldiers weren't slave owners, they were fighting against the tyranny of the industrial north over the agrarian south. Obviously slavery was a part of the issue, but there is much more to the Civil War than just that.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 02:39 AM
link   
a reply to: TruMcCarthy

Toward the latter part of the war Confederate soldiers who owned more than 20 slaves were exempted from service.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 02:43 AM
link   
a reply to: TruMcCarthy

When a black confederate was captured by by the Union they were summarily executed.

Black Americans were treated horribly in the North and South.

Lincoln's plan was to send all the freed former slaves to Central America.

We apparently need a lot more history in the books, not less.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 02:47 AM
link   
They want a G-rated version of history by sweeping the bad parts under the rug. Hilarious.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join