It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Healthy Woman Granted Right to Die For Depression

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 02:45 AM
link   
I have witnessed two suicides and if someone really wants to do it they will.
If she really wants to let her do it in her way. If she wants to go let her.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 02:53 AM
link   
I wonder how many of those supporting a law to grant those with depression, assisted suicide also agree with the death penalty.

I mean, if you are willing to allow someone the assistance to die due to a mental condition, surely you would also support the states decision/s to have a criminal put to death due to heinous crimes almost always due to murder, or mass murder?

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 03:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Wookiep
Ugh, I guess I am against both for the same reason. Mistakes are made, and it has been proven time and again that states and individuals can be wrong. And seem right.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 04:06 AM
link   
It's a difficult one. The more I think about it I don't believe in assisted suicide for depression. There is definitely a case for Incurable painful illness, but, depression I say no. Try everything possible before suicide. The problem is many of the things that could help with depression are illegal so can't be tested in many countries.

Interesting debate though. It's a very difficult subject, but worthy of discussing at this point in history. I think we need to try and find the causes for depression and cures, like any other illness

JAK

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 04:46 AM
link   
Related to this I read today:

People all over the world are getting semicolon tattoos to draw attention to mental health

People all over the world who have struggled with addiction, suicidal thoughts, and depression are tattooing themselves with semicolons as part of an online movement.

The idea behind the trend, known as the 'Semicolon Project', is explained on a number of blogs, websites and social media posts - "The semicolon is used when a sentence could have ended, but didn't."

As for my opinion the issue is such a complex matter that I'm hesitant to comment but I will say that those throwing around the judgement of cowardice are either blindingly angry or, truly, blissfully ignorant.

ETA: To those suffering, talk. Talk to someone. Whoever it might be, stranger, friend or loved one. Just try talking. And friend, though it may seem so, you do not walk alone. It's simply that it's hard to see others in the dark. But they are there.

edit on 4/7/15 by JAK because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 04:50 AM
link   
a reply to: JAK

I'm just curious. Who has thrown around the "judgement of cowardice", in this thread? I have not seen it here.

JAK

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 05:02 AM
link   

Not sure if it's been thrown around here but to those who have any experience with the issue such a damaging (to all involved) accusation should be no stranger.

It's common and it doesn't help anyone heal. At best it is malformed sorrow, at worst intolerant, damaging ignorance.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 05:11 AM
link   

Thanks for the clarity. I'm glad you weren't necessarily addressing posters in this thread for throwing around such "judgments".

I'm really just a little confused, because most everyone here seems to think the severely depressed should just die if they want. I think that's weird and in-humane, since you know, it involves death and all as a solution. I mean, it's not like we are talking about the terminally physically ill, where, there is NO hope whatsoever. Even then though, why should doctors be involved in someones death adventure? I digress however.

It's weird that I am attacked for not wanting someone to die, and popular opinion supports death in this case. It's weird and kinda spooky! Sign of the times. I wonder what's next? I don't expect to be around here much longer either way, the hatred in this place (ATS) and in the world is unbelievable right now.

edit on 4-7-2015 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 05:22 AM
link   
double post
edit on 4-7-2015 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

JAK

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 05:27 AM
link   

There is a lot of hostility about. Reading philosophy has helped* me to temper myself, to hold my anger and ask what authority it claims and what end it seeks; to question the judgement so temptingly easy to cast upon others, so deceitfully self-affirming.

There is a lot of hostility about Wookiep, but I heard a saying once which seems quite apt for this reply and, considering the nature of thought and depression, this thread too. The gist was (it was a while back): We cannot stop birds flying overhead but we can work to stop them nesting in our hair.

* Note, helped. I might still be a git sometimes (still working on that) but think I am better than I was.
edit on 4/7/15 by JAK because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 05:44 AM
link   

I think you have good intentions, so I'm starring your post.

I like your advice here as well.

To those suffering, talk. Talk to someone. Whoever it might be, stranger, friend or loved one.

I have no-one to talk to. I talk to my mother sometimes, but she will love me no matter what. My son is in college and doing his thing, I can't bother him. I talk on ATS sometimes, and all I really get is flamed for my opinions. I do talk on here as an escape, I won't lie about that. I get super passionate. People hate me here, lol. ATS sucks for depression.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 06:04 AM
link   
What business do americans have to do with this grown woman's decision at all? If she were here in the US, someone would give her a gun, done deal. That kind of assisted suicide is acceptable so why not the help of physicians?

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 06:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wookiep
I wonder how many of those supporting a law to grant those with depression, assisted suicide also agree with the death penalty.

I mean, if you are willing to allow someone the assistance to die due to a mental condition, surely you would also support the states decision/s to have a criminal put to death due to heinous crimes almost always due to murder, or mass murder?
I answered that on page 4. My response was a reply to someone who decided to edit their post after they say my response so it may not make 100% sense since you can't see what I was replying to.

As far as you wanting her to live, she ISN'T living!
edit on 7/4/2015 by calstorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 06:08 AM
link   

Who has attacked you?? All that has occurred here is you saying you disagree and why and others saying that they agree and why. This is what ATS is for. Disagreeing does not an attack make.

This is a touchy subject for most as its one of those issues that involves a lot of passion and opinions are formed by individual experiences more so than not. So sometimes it may feel more personal than it really is, but I don't see anyone in this thread attacking or being attacked.

We can all agree to disagree on whether this young woman should be allowed to end her own life. Opinions on both sides are coming from a place of compassion IMO. Those of us who want her to have her choice want it because she deserves that choice. She deserves to be pain free. Those who oppose it are doing it because they believe with more compassion she may well get better. So no matter which side anyone is on, they are there because they want the best for this woman whether it be an eternal escape to peace or a cure of some sort. Neither side is evil.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 06:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

Maybe I'm taking it more personal than I should, but there were a few posts where I could clearly see the hatred toward myself for my opinions. Not YOURS. And perhaps that is just a matter of perspective, and DEPRESSION doesn't help that perceived thought, which I may have unknowingly followed.

Either way. I don't like death as a solution. People should be pain free, and some people don't believe death is the answer. I am sorry if I offended you or anyone else.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 07:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: pl3bscheese

Now imagine that feeling, for most of your life. You have good days, when it looks like you might get better, and then it slams back down onto you, and starts all over again. And the more times it happens, the more convinced you are that it's never going to end. That light at the end of the tunnel just becomes the next event that is going to slam into you, and drive you further into depression.

I'm sorry to hear about your brother.

It is good that you found someone who is there for you. At my lowest points, people continually tell me that I have to be happy within myself for anyone else to be happy with me and blah blah blah.. load of rubbish really, as I do not believe we are meant to struggle alone entirely. Usually the people saying this to me were in co-dependant relationships also, so it was rather inane...

I even saw recently on the media here the story of a young man who suffered a broken back and had given up on life. Until he found someone who loved him, supported him, stood by him, and now they're getting married.

I just have to accept that I will die alone on this planet. And I know I won't be requesting approval to end it, should that be my choice down the track... I certainly don't want to be like this old man who died in my city, found 2 years later in his apartment... :/

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 07:57 AM
link   

People all over the world who have struggled with addiction, suicidal thoughts, and depression are tattooing themselves with semicolons as part of an online movement.

I had not heard this , looks like a new tattoo , i qualify for one .

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 09:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: jacobe001

It's scandalous to admit to it, or for it to get out. If you admit that you have a mental illness you're ostracized.

So true. You can break your harm, have cancer but depression? 'Just get over it!' If they only knew... 30 years? I can't figure out how you actually did it. I went in for around 8-10 years and consider myself lucky to be alive.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Won't attack you Wookiep, your questionning is sane. I'll try to explain the feeling to you. Just imagine you're strapped on a tiny log, in the middle of the ocean, seing no land whatsoever. It's dark. Now add a huge storm, with 100 foot waves crashing on you, drowning you time after time. You just can't catch your breath that the next wave's on you. On a rank from 1 to 10 (the worst pain) you always range from 9 to 10. Now that storm never ends and you have no control over it. You don't know why you're different from others. And you can't show a broken bone, no bleeding: it's in your brain. People around you get away, they juge out of fear and missing knowledge. You go from doctor to psy, without success, you lose faith that you'll ever get better. And it won't go away, days, weeks, month, years: you're a wreck. So you don't really want to die, you want the pain to STOP.

I really, and I mean really, doesn't wish this plague on my worst ennemy.

Jeff

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 09:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

It's none of your business. This is between the woman and her doctors.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join