It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An open comment to the people that stole my tools last night

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 08:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

It's one of those days ....

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 09:59 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

That wasn't very nice. I never said it was!

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 12:54 AM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

This local dirtbag was just nabbed after "millions" in tool thefts....

www.timesleader.com...

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 01:20 AM
link   
Man , that sucks. I've been there. I had 5k worth of DeWAlt tools snagged from my trailer. No insurance at the time. It is good to get a policy in place, and generally pretty cheap.

I would do a little hunting if you have the time. Visit all the pawn shops within a certain distance, it was probably some rum that lives nearby. They will usually go straight to the pawnshops for quick cash.

Not sure your location, but if you have a Craigslist type online classifieds, check that as well as eBay, filter search by area.

You'd be surprised that people that are stupid enough to steal, are usually stupid enough to crap in their own backyards

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 03:30 AM
link   
I bought your tools.

I feel no shame. Survival of the fittest.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 05:13 AM
link   
Thanks for all the support and replies everyone.

On closer inspection without panic and beer it seems they did not take as much as I thought.

I have an idea who may have taken them and a peacefull solution is going to be set in motion.

The really dissapointing thing is that the person who I belive has taken them is someone I looked after when in need and they know how important my tools are to me.

Nothing is confirmed yet but they have done similiar to others in the past.

My suspicions were pretty much confirmed when I realised that my 18v dewalt drill was on the workbench where other less valuable tools were taken but left behind, this should have been the first thing they grabbed but it's damaged so inside information seems likely.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 05:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: socketdude
I bought your tools.

I feel no shame. Survival of the fittest.

It's my own fault, I was so busy with your wife I forgot to lock the door.

Did you get the PM I sent you the other day BTW?

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 05:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: bally001

Sorry to hear of your loss. Like others in this thread I'd be lost without tools of trade even though I'm not a qualified tradie. Mate, you are too kind in your forgiveness but its made my morning to know that there are forgiving people like you.

May I ask what sort of tools were stolen from you?

Kind regards,

Bally.

As I said above It's not as bad as I thought and I am pretty sure I know who did it now.

I had litterally just bought a 10 inch cross cut mitre saw off a mate the day before.

The only reason I found out yesterday was that the bloody dog locked my out(don't ask) and I had to go round the back to get back in again.

When I saw the workshop door open and the great big saw definatley not on the bench I panicked and assumed a lot more had been taken.

After temporarily mending the door and calling the police I just had a few beers as could not face going through what was missing.

What bothers me most is that I used to have a lot of tools, Like most people I had spent years buying, building and collecting tools. When I split with my ex she sold the lot while I was working away, I have only recently been in the position where I could start to rebuild my collection buying second hand and inferior gear so I can start working again.

I am unsure as to what else has been taken and fully intend to get them back.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 05:45 AM
link   
Sorry about your tools, it seems the world is getting more and more desperate with so many people being out of work.

Just over a week ago, I woke up to find that my central air unit had been stolen, simply for the copper inside I'm assuming.
It's been very miserable, the heat, and recently being out of work myself, I haven't a dime to get another one.

I live in a small town where crimes rarely ever happens. We have a single store to get groceries from which is a gas station and one restaurant. People sleep with their houses unlocked, and keys in the ignition.

I woke up today with my 84 year old neighbor banging on my door. They stole her central air unit too!

Times are changing, that's for sure.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 06:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific

originally posted by: bally001

Sorry to hear of your loss. Like others in this thread I'd be lost without tools of trade even though I'm not a qualified tradie. Mate, you are too kind in your forgiveness but its made my morning to know that there are forgiving people like you.

May I ask what sort of tools were stolen from you?

Kind regards,

Bally.

As I said above It's not as bad as I thought and I am pretty sure I know who did it now.

I had litterally just bought a 10 inch cross cut mitre saw off a mate the day before.

The only reason I found out yesterday was that the bloody dog locked my out(don't ask) and I had to go round the back to get back in again.

When I saw the workshop door open and the great big saw definatley not on the bench I panicked and assumed a lot more had been taken.

After temporarily mending the door and calling the police I just had a few beers as could not face going through what was missing.

What bothers me most is that I used to have a lot of tools, Like most people I had spent years buying, building and collecting tools. When I split with my ex she sold the lot while I was working away, I have only recently been in the position where I could start to rebuild my collection buying second hand and inferior gear so I can start working again.

I am unsure as to what else has been taken and fully intend to get them back.

That's tragic mate, damn those ex's. They know how to hit at a man's heart and soul. Need help,, please by all means PM me.

Kind regards,

Bally. P.S. "Love my mitre saw."

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Gutted for you fella, I put stealing a mans tools at the same level as stealing a charity box.

A couple of years ago a mate had his chop saw nicked, but the smack-head thief unknowingly tried to sell it to another mate who recognised it.
They agreed to meet later 'to get the cash from the bank first' but really he rang the owner of the saw, and he got it back. Apparently the thief fell or something because he had some nasty injuries to his face, and the police agreed it must have been an unfortunate accident.

You are absolutely right about those who buy nicked tools, scumbags. Nobody I know will buy tools if there is even a hint they've been stolen, we all think the same, it could be one of us next time.
Best wishes bouncing back from this mate, you'll be earning again soon

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 07:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

Gutted for you fella, I put stealing a mans tools at the same level as stealing a charity box.

A couple of years ago a mate had his chop saw nicked, but the smack-head thief unknowingly tried to sell it to another mate who recognised it.
They agreed to meet later 'to get the cash from the bank first' but really he rang the owner of the saw, and he got it back. Apparently the thief fell or something because he had some nasty injuries to his face, and the police agreed it must have been an unfortunate accident.

You are absolutely right about those who buy nicked tools, scumbags. Nobody I know will buy tools if there is even a hint they've been stolen, we all think the same, it could be one of us next time.
Best wishes bouncing back from this mate, you'll be earning again soon

# happens mate, as I said it's not as bad as I thought just a chop saw that I bought specifically for my new venture to try and get back on track.

I am now faced with the unenviable task of cutting mitres by hand which is a real pain in the arse.

If I remember correctly you are a plasterer? I thought about it myself at one point as even if someone nicked all your tools then how much is it to replace a trowel a hawk and a bucket eh? Oh and and old fashioned bottle crate

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Do you have insurance that would cover them? I guess you'll have to keep future tools locked up. Sorry to hear this as we were burglarized a few years ago. We got a security system afterwards.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 07:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: maybee
Do you have insurance that would cover them? I guess you'll have to keep future tools locked up. Sorry to hear this as we were burglarized a few years ago. We got a security system afterwards.

I have no insurance but in truth my tools are pretty cheap or old, it's not the montary value but the fact that without them I can't really make any money.

My other half is the main breadwinner right now but this was supposed to be my way of getting back on track.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 07:41 AM
link   

If I remember correctly you are a plasterer? I thought about it myself at one point as even if someone nicked all your tools then how much is it to replace a trowel a hawk and a bucket eh? Oh and and old fashioned bottle crate

Hahaha! Yep, I've got a bottle crate for standing on to do ceilings! They are officially recognised as tools of the trade.
I do all sorts though, stud walling, block laying, plasterboarding/drywall/dot and dabbing, floor and wall tiling, wet stone walling, blah, so I have tools from Paslodes to paddle mixers.

Even just for plastering jobs my trusty 14" trowel would be £50 to replace, it all adds up.
...and your story has reminded me that I need to check my home contents insurance cover and perhaps take a picture of everything. I'd be screwed in the short term if my tools got nicked. [shudders at the thought]

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 07:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

Hahaha! Yep, I've got a bottle crate for standing on to do ceilings! They are officially recognised as tools of the trade.
I do all sorts though, stud walling, block laying, plasterboarding/drywall/dot and dabbing, floor and wall tiling, wet stone walling, blah, so I have tools from Paslodes to paddle mixers.

Even just for plastering jobs my trusty 14" trowel would be £50 to replace, it all adds up.
...and your story has reminded me that I need to check my home contents insurance cover and perhaps take a picture of everything. I'd be screwed in the short term if my tools got nicked. [shudders at the thought]

It's suprising how much it all adds up over the years, I really hope you do have a stock check and make sure your insurance covers it.

I've done more than my share of stud walling and tiling, horrible thing to have to do but not as horrible as painting and decorating, that's something I really dislike.

I had a "moment" about a year ago while decorating a ladys bedroom when I realised that I was making the box a person slept in a slightly different shade of white only to have to come back in a couple of years and make it a different shade again.

The absurdity of the situation caused me to tell the guy I was subbing for what I had realised and that I was going to sit in the park. I thought he was going to go spare but simply did not care, in fact he agreed that it was a simply ridiculous thing to be doing and we went back to his house and got pissed instead.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 08:11 AM
link   

I love tiling, just hate grouting, I find it boring as

I built a 'fake' old fire surround/hearth last week for someone, timber framed, and finished in natural slate tiles, gorgeous. To be honest I actually enjoyed grouting that though, probably because it was an unusual job.

As for painting and decorating, I'm the same, can't stand it, and I'll only chase work like that if there really is nothing else available...cutting in/gloss work, boring boring boring!
Bread n butter work for me usually is getting properties ready to rent out after previous tenants have wrecked them, got a few major local landlords who have plenty of work and it can be really varied depending on the property.

I couldn't do the same thing every day though, if I've been plastering for say 3 or 4 weeks in a row I get bored with that and look for different work, or take a week off (unpaid of course being self employed) and enjoy staying in bed until noon.

I'm actually having one of those days today, after my son got me hammered at a seafront bar for fathers day last night...a few too many Jagerbombs!

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 08:13 AM
link   

You and I should share a beer sometime nonspecific. I think there is a convergence in our attitudes which would make for mutually pleasing company, over an ale or three!

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 08:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

You and I should share a beer sometime nonspecific. I think there is a convergence in our attitudes which would make for mutually pleasing company, over an ale or three!

I was actually thinking the other day if we could have a UK meet up and if it would be a good idea or not?

I know ATS likes to be annonymous but us brits do not seem to really care about that too much.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Well, I shall turn up in a smoking jacket, cheroot in hand, and with my finest Port glass

...nah, truth is you'd all find out I'm pretty much the same opinionated twat in real life as online, no major surprises.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join