It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Food Poverty, Inequality & Unaffordable Housing. Recipe For Disaster?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 05:32 AM
link   
Food Poverty, Growing Inequality & Unaffordable Housing.. this is the face of modern day Britain (And the US for that matter). Food banks are on the rise, as is homelessness and general poverty. The statistics for last year in the UK are horrendous. In this short video I take a look at the estimated figures for some of this poverty in modern day Britain and the USA.

So everyone is struggling since the economic downturn right? Wrong. The people at the top have gotten even richer as seems to be the case with every major depression. The statistics in this following video should open your eyes to the huge gap in wealth if you are not already aware of how big it is.

For young people who are just coming out of school it can seem like there is no hope for the future. If you are lucky enough to have a stable career or business to rely on then you are pretty safe, at least for the time being. That being said, unskilled workers and even qualified workers are being laid off at an amazing rate, so where does that leave the young, inexperienced and unskilled workers?

Well, you could definitely say disenfranchised at the very least. The safety nets of the social system that once made Britain a great place to live are now being stripped away. If you can't find a job even though you want one, and you haven't got anyone who can help support you in this perilous time of unaffordable housing and high living costs then, well, you just sort of slip through the cracks. That is precisely what is happening to more and more people who are just in essence, left to rot.

So. I think it's safe to say we can expect much of the same for the next five years. I think its even safe to say we can expect worse with a tory majority government. It's probably also safe to say the US isn't going to get much better either. That being said, that doesn't mean we should just roll over and take it. We should strive to become more politically and socially active. This could be as easy as giving to a homeless charity/food bank or to someone who is in need directly. Helping someone who is struggling to get a job find one. Taking in a lodger and splitting the bills. Organising and arranging protests and social demonstrations. Making videos to raise awareness and sharing them on social media. There are many different things you could do, and although the situation may seem hopeless, there is always something you can do to help.

Don't let political apathy be your excuse for not caring about your fellow man.
edit on 26/10/2010 by TechUnique because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 05:36 AM
link   
a reply to: TechUnique

And yet these same people are not interested to learn who is the boss of all western banks.

They don't know about FED, ECB, Bank of England.

Who is the boss

Who's has ownership

Who makes the decisions

What are the outcomes.

What can be done about it.

They only know that they are getting poor and that's about it

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 05:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: BentBone

And yet these same people are not interested to learn who is the boss of all western banks.

They don't know about FED, ECB, Bank of England.

Who is the boss

Who's has ownership

Who makes the decisions

What are the outcomes.

What can be done about it.

They only know that they are getting poor and that's about it

People definitely need to recognise how serious the inequality/gap in wealth is and why. The fact that there are a small number of people profiting from the suffering of many is sick to say the least.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 05:42 AM
link   
As much as libertarianism and the right appeals to me unlike some hard core libertarian on here I have to admit there are some big problems in the world that makes its unfeasible and the huge gaps in wealth and equality need to be addressed before any big societal change.

The current system we have is failing. We need a new one. Problem is if we lurch to far right or left things will I think get worse.

As I said in another post the 1% (which I am just apart of) is outnumbered it says so in the name 1%. Outnumbered 100 to 1.

The current system is kept only in check by the police and army's. The people of which are drawn from the 99%. If things get worse and they abandon the 1% then any revolution will be bloody and as with most revolutions the results are normally worse as before.

edit on 31-5-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 06:49 AM
link   
The nations infrastructure is under too much pressure, including the social provision aspects.

Talking about immigration and being accused of being ''right wing'' is tedious.

However, there are Polish people claiming child tax credit for children in Poland and Bangladeshis claiming spouse allowance for spouses in Bangladesh, the NHS tourism, the lower strata job market being taken by immigrants, the housing crises etc. it is imperative that the cause of those issues is established and the things allowing it, stopped and the system reevaluated. That would at least ease the pressure, as will, reduced non constructive immigration.

Also, proper teaching about the things that matter in life and philosophy during school will also improve people's ethos and ability to comprehend reality better.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 06:55 AM
link   
5 more years of Osbourne & May...

I hope the majority know what they voted for and didn't just get blindsided by a referendum...
I hope they lose sleep at night.

I don't believe what I hope though.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 06:58 AM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

I didn’t vote for Osborne or may as don’t live in there constituency.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 07:09 AM
link   
The way the very rich are strip mining the world is a sickening display of greed and avarice. People who already have more than they can count have bought out our governments. Not only do they benefit from huge tax breaks but they run businesses in to the ground then get propped up by the taxpayer with programs like TARP. The 2008 financial "crisis" was nothing more than a scam to extract more money from the working class and it worked to the tune of Trillions. With the stroke of a pen, what a lovely parting gift Dubya gave us, eh? First he bumbles 911 and runs and hides while the Nation knows nothing except we're under attack. Then he and Congress drag us off in to foreign wars costing several trillion. All in 8 short years.

Free trade is still the ideal system, if we had anything resembling it we would be in good shape. The game has been rigged and all the money stolen by the 1% ( yes, STOLEN!) needs to be returned to the people and the economy. Want to create jobs and kickstart the economy? Liberate some of that wealth that is doing nothing but accruing interest and return it to those who earned it in the first place.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 07:16 AM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

Winner take all politics is NOT an indication of what people voted for. The actual votes against the majority government in the nation outweighed the ridings that elected this. Which is akin to Canadian politics, where in BC, the Liberals took a majority government years back, at just barely over 40% vote, including in his own riding, where nearly 60% was split NDP and green.

And even if the majority did vote for a certain type of government, they are faced with 3 monsters, and stuck with this system?

The work people need to wake up and do, become active in, is not actually at the polls, but inbetween elections, flexing their muscles, solving problems locally, ie through profit sharing, councils of citizens, donations of land and homes, energy devices, gardens and aquaponics for whole neighborhoods, and especially starting cottage industries and pledging to only buy from each other in order to take their power back. Treat your town or neighborhood as a big family and sort things out so all are living comfortably, and those who can contribute get a chance to and those who can't have decent lives with dignity anyway.

People need to really do the work, INBETWEEN the public circus elections. If they start to wake up and do this, then the elections will eventually change as well.

For example, who would vote in a cut throat demon when they could reshuffle the political system to the kind of proportional democracy Norway has so no vote is wasted and no winner take all can ruin the pie, and then start to elect, here, Native Grandmothers and real people in.

edit on 31-5-2015 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 07:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok
As much as libertarianism and the right appeals to me unlike some hard core libertarian on here I have to admit there are some big problems in the world that makes its unfeasible and the huge gaps in wealth and equality need to be addressed before any big societal change.

The current system we have is failing. We need a new one. Problem is if we lurch to far right or left things will I think get worse.

As I said in another post the 1% (which I am just apart of) is outnumbered it says so in the name 1%. Outnumbered 100 to 1.

The current system is kept only in check by the police and army's. The people of which are drawn from the 99%. If things get worse and they abandon the 1% then any revolution will be bloody and as with most revolutions the results are normally worse as before.

It is demonstrable that with the deregulation in the late 70's, early 80's, the systems that had created the middle class growth and golden era in the 60s and 70s were dismantled.

We know economically that since then, the real wages for most low income and middle income groups have actually remained stagnant and even shrunk due to inflation. Meanwhile, factually, the incomes for the upper class have risen dramatically.

While the productivity per worker has grown dramatically in the same time period, their wage has not grown virtually at all..... This means that all said and done, the elite and shareholders are taking all of the economic growth, increased productivity and profits, etc, and none of it has "trickled down."

This is one area where the Republicans and Libertarians have to stop beating around the bush. Economists now days agree with what I just said. To not have proper systems in place to actually create fairer shares in the economy is to be in support of basically a quasi-feudal system and yes, be pro-elite.

I respect that you recognize that there is an issue.
edit on 31-5-2015 by Quetzalcoatl14 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 08:05 AM
link   
The problem is the economy never recovered. They can try to tell you all they want that it did, but it didn't. The stock market looks good, profits look good, but they are just responding to the empty, printed money governments are using to prop themselves up. If you have more dollars in the system, places that pass large volumes of them will naturally look like they're thriving or making a profit when all you're really seeing is an indication of how much more funny money is in the system.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 08:55 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I think that one sign that the system isn't running as it should is that with all the money that the fed has pumped into the system, the inflation rate should be much higher than it is. at least that is what everyone says, isn't it? more money, higher prices. well at the pace the fed has been going we should be seeing inflation rates that are out of this world but we don't.
the money is being printed but it isn't being let out into our economy, it's being circulated just within that other economy, the one that most of us will never play in nor would we want to because the gov't doesn't seem to have any regulatory control of nor does it seem to want any. the only place we average persons have in it is to bail the fools out when they tank their house of cards.

I like the idea of working locally and trying to shield your small neck of the woods from the stupidity of the fools. support the manufacturers that are still operating in your area, your area craftspeople, and food producers. buy their brand from yuor locally owned merchants before you buy from the communities outside your area and big box stores when possible.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 10:16 AM
link   
"Recipe For Disaster?"
Not at all. Its a recipe for instant success when Satan's smaller version of YHWH's omnipresence takes over. Even spirits in other dimensions will not be safe from Big Mean Brother.

Soon this whole world will be run by computers that will give every poor person an equal amount of money in a new cashless society.

Who will turn down the opportunity to have a million credits where a credit is roughly the same as a US Dollar ?

Who will turn down a chance to go with UFO's to far off distant worlds where they will have permanent employment ?

This is all planned. Crush the old system and offer the beggars a new World Order. All the beggar needs is the Mark of the Beast inserted into their body either via chip, nanobots or credit card.

EDIT: Billions of poor people would sell their souls within seconds for easy money.
edit on 31-5-2015 by Rapha because: edit

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 11:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Rapha

That's a point that people need to realise.

The current international system to which all other systems are bound is a pyramid system.

If the top of the pyramid is corrupt (ie worshipping money, greed and power) then the other strata are also corrupt.

A new 'top of the pyramid' is required and when the evil is replaced and true virtue reinstated, then the other strata will follow and there will be a better world. Societies will thrive ethically instead of corrupt hierarchies stealing power and wealth.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Unaffordable housing is the crux of the matter and I have a beef with the realtors.

In inner city suburbs where the commute is short and the shops are close these greedy realtors will charge more, it has nothing to do with demand because they doctored the demand and drove up the price. They do the same thing when jobs are plenty-if a brand spanking new shopping mall is to be built then the realtors will drive up the price of local rentals because more people are looking for a home close to work.

I've spotted a local realtor wagering money on horses on almost a daily basis and it takes an incredible amount of restraint not to slug him. These landlords raise rents according to income so that they can wet their beak, and those who aren't rich have to live on the bare essentials so they can feed their families.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 01:55 PM
link   
The people in charge know all of this. They know it's a recipe for disaster.

I'm not sure if they
- Are just psychopaths
- Want to "force" the apocalypse, which is probably a myth to keep the good men from stopping evil
- Want world slavery only for the f*** of it
- Have a plan for a better future but evil is necessary, I doubt
- Want to see just how far we can take and then force a police state

All I know if that if we would know the pilot is heading slowly right for a building, we should do something about it.
Many people are awaken now but not ready and many are still asleep. We must not wait for everyone to be ready but for everyone to be at least awaken and understand that we deserve better, that we could and we will do better.

Here a song I made that punk fan should enjoy : What are you waiting for
edit on 31-5-2015 by theMediator because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Good post OP. Schizohprenic responses to which I will add my own (for long standing historical context):

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 07:20 PM
link   
One does wonder whether it’s just the natural evil and selfishness of the human nature or some organized plot to return us to serfdom of some sort.

My bet is on the latter.

As Ive posted many times the elite know that a vibrant middle class is their enemy.

They know that in the 60’s 70’s and 80’s the middle class had a little breathing room: unions were strong, taxes were somewhat fair, manufacturing was strong, and the economic rise of the middle class amongst the baby boomers was the greatest economic expansion in history.

Then came Ronald Warren Reagan whose letters of his name were 6 6 6.

Coincidently, they actually brought him a house and the address was 666.

They changed it though.

Anyway, Reagan came in office with the RAH RAH American patriotism and the greed is good gospel, cut taxes for the rich, attacked unions and made it acceptable to be greedy.

His policies essentially began the destruction of the middle class and the elite 1 percent were 100 percent behind him and used him for that purpose

Over time this was the beginning of the downfall and vicious attack on the middle class through the CONSERVATIVE movement which despised unions, taxes for the rich, infrastructure maintenance, government concern for the poor and near poor, civil rights, and generally pretended to have a concern for the country but whose real agenda was to help the rich get richer at the expense of the countries general welfare.

All this culminated in the election of the worst president in history George Bush who one can look at as the continuation of Reagan’s policies and worst since they added a foreign policy of deadly intent that produced 911, the Iraq holocaust and ISIS.

Worst Bush destroyed the world economy by letting the wolves inside the sheep’s pen so we had the 2007-8 depression.

Which we will likely NEVER recover from

UNLESS?

edit on 31-5-2015 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 02:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Asktheanimals
Free trade is still the ideal system, if we had anything resembling it we would be in good shape. The game has been rigged and all the money stolen by the 1% ( yes, STOLEN!) needs to be returned to the people and the economy. Want to create jobs and kickstart the economy? Liberate some of that wealth that is doing nothing but accruing interest and return it to those who earned it in the first place.

Free trade is not the ideal solution, markets are great but markets require regulation in order to keep the playing field level. A free market is completely unsustainable and will collapse as soon as some firms start gaining while other firms lose, as it's a 0 sum game. Essentially, competition makes free markets unstable.

Free trade causes countries with high wages to see their jobs exported to countries with low wages where slavery is essentially legal. You need economic protectionism and segregating markets to prevent this.

Free trade gets you private prisons that rent prisoners out as labor for $2/hour while the honest person doing the same job can't even legally charge that low of a price. This can only be prevented through minimum wage laws that apply to everyone, and are high enough for a person to live on.

Free trade gets you mega corporations that are able to consolidate their wealth into political power. You can only stop this through regulation.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 02:25 AM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

I like the idea of working locally and trying to shield your small neck of the woods from the stupidity of the fools. support the manufacturers that are still operating in your area, your area craftspeople, and food producers. buy their brand from yuor locally owned merchants before you buy from the communities outside your area and big box stores when possible.

This is certainly the key for success.....i live in a fairly small community,and 99% of the locals here buy locally,all the cafe's and restaurants buy and use local ingredients,it is now at the point where the local produce is reknowned and starting to be sold much further afield.....the town i live in has no chains stores at all,no maccas no nothing and the local food is really great....

The only way to beat big business is to boycott their product.....

top topics

<<   2 >>

join