It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Win 7 Repair Install Blue Scrren of Death

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 03:08 AM
link   
Windows 7 Home Edition, AS Rock Z68, Pro3-M. Intel

Got a wonderful problem,.

Tried to a repair install. It got almost to the very end then the blue screen of death and so it starts to roll back everything but I hit the restart button and selected win 7 when the choices of which system to start came up after hitting F8 I chose Win 7 not the roll back. Nothing I've done since has saved the repair install. This has happened before.

I did the repair install because I have completely lost the Windows Installer, which is different from the Windows Modules Installer found in the services list, I have followed advice from the web on how and where to find it but in every place its supposed to be it aint there, and now some of my programs wont start. Is there a way I can re-install the Windows Installer using the Win 7 install disc ??

So, I decided to re-image the C drive. I use Macrium for this but it wont start because the Windows Installer package is missing.

I would do a complete reinstall and then do a re=image but a message comes up saying that "This is Not a Legitimate Copy of Windows" as I have re-installed windows too many times. If would start just once then I could do the re-image.

I cant get the windows repair disc to start which might reinstall the Windows Installer. Does anyone know if the repair disc re-installs the Windows Installer. After spending a few hours on the net trying to download Windows Installer 5 which is required for Win 7, I read that it cannot be downloaded because it comes with the install disc ........... How does that grab ya?

Dunno how many times this will keep going before more and more stuff start going down

Going to do all the disc check and sys check thing and will check back later.

Any ideas of what to do from here would be appreciated, thanks in advance

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 03:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Azureblue

Can you not just download the "Windows Installer" from Microsoft? Or download the same version of Windows you have and then apply your legitimate security key?

Short of that a small program called KMSpico will alleviate your authenticity issue for a limited period of time, not exactly Kosher all the same.
edit on 20-5-2015 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 03:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

Can you not just download the "Windows Installer" from Microsoft? Or download the same version of Windows and then apply your legitimate security key?

Short of that a small program called KMSpico will alleviate your authenticity issue for a limited period of time, not exactly Kosher all the same.

Didn't know that could be done, any special knowledge required for this and where would I find a downloadable Win 7 from?

Thanks

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 03:39 AM
link   

Ile PM you a link.

Just copy the link into your address bar. You will also require a torrent client like utorrent to be able to download.
edit on 20-5-2015 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 04:58 AM
link   
Got a usb mem stick?

If so, download linux mint, install it onto the mem stick. Now boot to the mem stick. Once the stick boots you are in a fully working os (running from the stick) and have access to your c:drive and you can work on it from there.

My advice, dump windows, click the button that says "Install linux" No more problems and everything is free

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 05:12 AM
link   
Go into your bios and set boot for dvdrom. Reboot computer with win 7 disc in the tray then when it loads you want to click the repair option, 99% sure this will fix it, although this blue screen of death sounds like a hardware failure my friend.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Scrap that Linux-idea. Not necessary, not every program can be exchanged for a linux-compatible version, not every hardware has a compatible linux-driver.
----
First, check your hardware (bluescreens have causes). New memory installed? Timings of CPU, GPU or memory changed? Powerunit old? Try to change them, till you think that the computer runs smoothly.
----
Second, save your own data (documents, gamesaves, links from your browser, downloaded emails, really just about anything you can't re-download from somewhere).
----
Third, swipe the harddisc.
----
Fourth, do a clean install. If windows complains about too many installs, CALL microsoft on the shown number. You will be connected to a voice-reg-software, which gives you an autorization code. Not scary.
If the automatized system detects WAY too many installs (remember, these do ONLY count, if you changed more than 5 or 6 major hardware components between windows-installs), you might get connected to a living person. These are nice people over all, I had to talk to them on a professional base regarding userinstalls and stupidity.
----
Enhanced tips:
- you can quite easily make a bootable usb-stick with windows on it - nice, if the usb-port and the usb-stick are fast ones, this is usually very much faster than installation via DVD.
- blue screens have a cause. Defective/incompatible memory is high on top of that list. Next, to my experience, are faulty, old powerunits. "Tuning" via quicker timings for cpu/gpu/memory are on that list, too. Had to scrap 2gb of my notebooks memory some days ago, now there are no more bluescreens...
- changing the OS is a major step. I would recommend this ONLY, if the needed software is compatible and the usability of the new OS is okay. I never got the hang of Linux, but that is my humble personal opinion...

Good luck. Keep us informed, we can help.
edit on 20 5 2015 by ManFromEurope because: No more extra tips for the moment

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Try something simple. You should be able to get to the choices of the windows repair. choose advanced and comand prompt. From the command prompt type the following
sfc /scannow
press enter
it will run for a while and scan all system files and repair/replace them as needed.this has worked for me in the past without having to reimage.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 08:07 AM
link   
If possible post the event code on the window's BSOD here . should be something in the format as 0x0000007b.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 12:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: ManFromEurope

Scrap that Linux-idea.

Ya know, if you look you'll find threads of mine on here where I religiously praised windows especialy xp, but one day while bored I downloaded Mint, and I now use it all the time.

For the average user (internet, emails, photos etc) Mint has it all by default, and there's a software library of more than 80,000 programs that I can choose from, and they are all free and absolutely no malware! I just start up Software manager, choose my program and click Install, it really is that easy.

The only progs I havent succesfully replaced are my IDE's, so I installed Virtual box with an xp, but even that will soon be gone.

Why go to Linux?
1. OP wouldn't have all that "its not genuine windowz" crap, because linux is free.
2. There's no time limits on ANY of the software.
3. Its faster OMG! so much faster!!!
4. Desktop can be just like windows or tailored in almost any way.
5. Most hardware that I've used installs without the need to find drivers!!!
6. My internet connection and networks run faster and more reliably.
7. I dont need Anti virus (spyware) unlike windows
8. Did I mention its all free
9. Software takes up less space!
10. Did I mention that its ALL FREE

You say that windows can be installed on a stick, thats true, but just try using it on another box! The linux method works on anything.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 02:39 PM
link   

You could try and force a roll back.

Set your system bios clock for the day before the BSOD.

Boot the computer with the install disk.

Choose the repair option.

Walk away from the PC for a goodly while

When you come back, either the installer will have worked with an auto rollback OR, it will tell you it can't do an install.

Either way round, set the bios to the current date and either the computer will boot first time OR, it will let you repair and it will work.

I had to do the same once, and thats how I got my system back. Be warned though, I may just have got lucky.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 09:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheMadTitan
Go into your bios and set boot for dvdrom. Reboot computer with win 7 disc in the tray then when it loads you want to click the repair option, 99% sure this will fix it, although this blue screen of death sounds like a hardware failure my friend.

Thanks for that what kind of hardware might it be.
thanks

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 09:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
If possible post the event code on the window's BSOD here . should be something in the format as 0x0000007b.

i saw the BSOD happen and it was very quickly gone. I did'nt have time get any info off it all, See what happens next time.
thanks

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 09:41 PM
link   
On a reboot on the repair screen turn off reboot on error or whatever. The BSOD will stay there on the next reboot . That hexadecimal number you see is what is called an error trap . It is very important in what is happening . I used to work with MS back in the day for the company I retired from.

edit on 20-5-2015 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 09:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog
If possible look real close and see if you can see the last 2 characters. That would be a great start. If it is 7b more than likely it is a hdd issue.

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 03:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Thanks I will keep that in mind too

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 03:42 AM
link   
Well, an update really. I have fixed the issue. The 'secret' was to start Macrium from the Programs List

I checked the RAM and found it was not locked in correct so I fixed it but still got the BSOD. Wonder if RAM is damaged by not being locked up correctly.

Jumping through a number of hoops I was eventually able to reinstall another image, done the updates and then created another image.

Thanks to everyone who offered help.

cheers

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 09:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Azureblue
Well, an update really. I have fixed the issue. The 'secret' was to start Macrium from the Programs List

I checked the RAM and found it was not locked in correct so I fixed it but still got the BSOD. Wonder if RAM is damaged by not being locked up correctly.

Jumping through a number of hoops I was eventually able to reinstall another image, done the updates and then created another image.

Thanks to everyone who offered help.

cheers

Maybe not damaged RAM . When memory writes to the HDD if it is corrupt it can bring down an OS for good. Run memcheck or a similar program to be sure. Good to know you are back up.

top topics

join