It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boston University prof flunks 'white masculinity' in controversial tweets

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+39 more 
posted on May, 8 2015 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Critics say a newly-hired Boston University professor has crossed the line with recent tweets bashing whites, but the school says it’s simply free speech.

“White masculinity isn’t a problem for america’s colleges, white masculinity is THE problem for america’s colleges,” Saida Grundy, an incoming assistant professor of sociology and African-American studies at Boston University, tweeted in March.

In another tweet from January, she wrote: “Every MLK week I commit myself to not spending a dime in white-owned businesses. and every year i find it nearly impossible.”

In another, she called white males a “problem population.”

The double standard about who can tweet what isn't what bothers me about this, although, if this were turned around in any sense then we would see firings and outrage of epic proportions. What truly bothers me about this is that when you create a toxic situation like this professor has done it is impossible to heal as a nation and it creates resentment. This means there is no room for real discussion or debate and no chance for love and mutual respect to come into play. I am disappointed and sad.

SOURCE

edit on 2015/5/8 by Metallicus because: sp

+43 more 
posted on May, 8 2015 @ 07:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

If a white professor did that, and called black masculinity an issue, they''d be fired. If this isn't institutionally approved racism, I don't kn ow what is!

Sick that people like her are teaching in colleges, too.
S&F

+20 more 
posted on May, 8 2015 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Penis envy.

'Nuff said.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 07:51 PM
link   

What she said was wrong, completely.
ETA:I think she should be told by the college that while she has the right to say it, she needs to keep the context that she represents the university.
But are we really going to act like there won't be an outrage about it?

Do we have a example to show the reverse and what was the outcome about it?

We act like we know exactly what would happen in the reverse situation all the time...
ETA: I for one think there will be plenty of outrage and calling for her job, not sure why we think it won't happen.
edit on thFri, 08 May 2015 19:54:14 -0500America/Chicago520151480 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 07:54 PM
link   
That's odd, the NFL and NBA are packed with black players.
Is he saying there aren't enough masculine black men?
From what I've seen white males are increasingly overweight and less macho than ever (not all bad thing, eh?)

It's the old "White males dominate everything meme", not surprising given Whites have been the majority race for 200 years.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 07:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

I've done precisely zero research into the following link, but if it's true then here's your answer. If it's not, it's as funny as it would've been sad, if true.

www.thefederalistpapers.org...
edit on 8-5-2015 by Shamrock6 because: Typo

+22 more 
posted on May, 8 2015 @ 07:55 PM
link   

What about the university president who made the "colossal" mistake of tweeting "All lives matter" instead of "Black lives matter" and was made to retract his "insensitive" statement?

+29 more 
posted on May, 8 2015 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Why do I get the feeling that African-American studies is based on doing mental gymnastics in order to find a way to blame everything on white people

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 07:59 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I think she should be made to retract her statements as well.
It is really a colossal mistake and very insensitive.

It was an email and it was also the 'liberal left' that jumped on it.

Was there calls for firings?

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 08:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Twenty five kids isn't really much of an outrage.

+1 more 
posted on May, 8 2015 @ 08:03 PM
link   

They staged a sit in. Because a college professor had the gall to correct their grammar. That alone speaks volumes.

+13 more 
posted on May, 8 2015 @ 08:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80
a reply to: ketsuko

I think she should be made to retract her statements as well.
It is really a colossal mistake and very insensitive.

It was an email and it was also the 'liberal left' that jumped on it.

Was there calls for firings?

Car accidents are mistakes

Tripping and falling

Openly coming out and making statements like this aren't mistakes , it's clearly her ideology

Unless you mean her exposing herself for what she really is , was the mistake

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 08:07 PM
link   

I am not saying they had any ground to do it, was totally off base and pointless.
He was doing his job.
Just that it didn't result in massive outrage and calling for the guys job.

It actually resulted in kids coming to his defense.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 08:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Lgbtlivesmatter

Ya fine it wasn't a mistake, she intentionally did it.
Was more me just using the phrases the poster I was responding to used.

I don't think this lady should have a job teaching what she teaches.
But that boarder lines firing her for her speech, which we don't like right?

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Ah. Yea, we agree on that point (and I've already marked this date on my calendar to commemorate it....lol).

I was pursuing it more from the "ludicrous outrage" angle than the widespread angst angle.

+9 more 
posted on May, 8 2015 @ 08:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus Saida has Ph.D. (2014) in the Joint Program in Sociology & Women's Studies at the University of Michigan. Maybe the University of Michigan should be a little more selective in acceptances into the program. It doesn't seem to be an intellectually rigorous degree.
She also commented that slavery was a white thing. Obviously, she is not educated. Ask her who sold the black slaves to the white man.
Black female hates white males. Jealousy?

+22 more 
link   
B!tch should be fired.

'Nuff said.

Absolutely ridiculous that she can get away with saying things like that when the fall-out of a white woman saying black men were THE PROBLEM with society would have her fired and hiding out for her life.

I am totally sick of the double standard that has become quite standard during the Obama era. I'm ready for it to be history.

link   
racism and skin colour prejudice is being promoted and enhanced in society by the very people supposedly attacking racism. White, black etc I pity those stuck in between.

Cut the cr@p , drop racial stupidity that creates racism. We are supposed in an advanced society to be able to see that culture is the issue and not physical appearance.

I hope we all go blind, then we can judge on whatver actually hear.

Yeah, unicorns and all that

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 08:24 PM
link   

I say there should be more of an outrage on this, I think she should take a mini vacation that isn't paid to 'cool off'.

Just don't like the idea that we can act like if the roles were reversed we would some how know the exact outcome.

+2 more 
posted on May, 8 2015 @ 08:24 PM
link   

So she's a racist. Are you really surprised?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join