It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Astronomers find great big planet orbiting tiny little star

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 08:35 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Somehow i imagine Human ingenuity being what it is, once they do indeed find an Earth 2.0…

Thats the problem though, they can;t determine that with the search methods they are now using. It doesn't reveal an earth like planet, just something blocking the star.

…some kind of viable transportation system will surely follow.

But doesn't exist yet. Not even close. Might as well build an ark because I had a dream the world is going to flood.

Maybe thats not the best analogy. They are digging for something here, or busy spending to justify their budget.

What else is there left to resolve with our puny technology? We're at the limits of our passive instrumentation peering into the cosmos.

For instance, okay build a bigger telescope, put it in orbit and see even further, to reveal more Universe, same as the one we inhabit now. We still can't see Earth 2.0 with any resolution. Voyager probe shows us that when looking back at earth.

Even from Earth orbit cities are invisible.

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 09:09 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

The light emitted at night is partly visible from space regarding our citys and towns. End of the day if we dont look for a new home we are destined to extinction when our resources run out or our Sun decides to burp destroying our civilization in the process. Need to get all our eggs out the one basket so to speak. You're probably aware that our off the shelf technology is 50 -70 years ahead of what we claim to have who knows what they are really capable of?

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 09:21 AM
link   

You're probably aware that our off the shelf technology is 50 -70 years ahead of what we claim to have who knows what they are really capable of?

?

What store has the shelf with the 70 years ahead tech.

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 09:26 AM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

Black budget government stores i imagine.

Look at it this way they managed to hide stealth technology for nearly 20 years allowing the US to gain an unprecedented lead over there competitors. One has to wonder what else they have under wraps.

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 12:45 PM
link   

You're probably aware that our off the shelf technology is 50 -70 years ahead of what we claim to have who knows what they are really capable of?

How would I know? But thats what makes me wonder why they are "counting planets", because we a) can't be sure if they support life, and b) can't go there.

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 01:12 PM
link   

I would like to think our scientific community have some kind of method behind there madness. I can identify with what you are saying after all why attempt to discover the location of other worlds if not one day to go there ourselves.

Possibly there is some form of rhyme and reason behind there endeavors to which we have no knowledge?

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 04:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

Black budget government stores i imagine.

Look at it this way they managed to hide stealth technology for nearly 20 years allowing the US to gain an unprecedented lead over there competitors. One has to wonder what else they have under wraps.

Just pointing out that exotic, black budget developing tech is not of the shelf. Maybe the post was just worded wrong.

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 05:15 PM
link   

I did say off the shelf as opposed to of the shelf technology the implication being its not available for public use or on our shelf for that matter. You get the idea through, pretty much all the secret stuff deemed to dangerous for public consumption or that may raise too many questions. Like you said through possibly i did word it wrong but you get the point.

edit on 5-5-2015 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Possibly there is some form of rhyme and reason behind there endeavors to which we have no knowledge?

Lots of money is spent to look at every single space body inside our own solar system, too. Some places more than once. We need to see every surface of every rock? There are no new elements…

so what are they scanning for…

in a nutshell… forward bases or outposts, imo.

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Well you know if there was some form of Human or Humanoid antediluvian civilization that achieved space flight they could quite possible still have some form of outposts or bases located on some of our outer planets moons. Saturn and Jupiter being the main contenders i imagine. Take Europa for instance, there could quite possibly be some form of life located below all that ice. Also Ganymede looks rather interesting given the fact that shes the only moon to possess a magnetosphere. Who knows whats out there just waiting to be discovered, or rediscovered for that matter, fact is we will not know until we actually go.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 07:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Which is not to say we should not attempt to do so given our inherit tenancy to explore.

Seems a waste, unless they aren't informing us about their search. I mean, I know that stars have planets and all. Surely they do, too.

So whats to gain by determining that? We can't a) go there, and b) even see them.

Because of this discovery, I can create a spreadsheet that allows me to predict when the planet will transit in front of its host star and where it will be in my sky, effectively allowing me to see its tiny shadow from my own telescope as it slightly dims the star.
dropcanvas.com...
To me, that is the ultimate in amazing. The ability to find planets around other stars, to learn about them, exotic worlds in strange orbits unlike anything our solar system has to offer. We never expected to find planets in configurations like this, so in finding them the universe itself is teaching us about how solar systems actually form and develop. These are things we never could have learned from a sample size of just 1, our own solar system. Perhaps you don't understand why astronomers would want to learn these things, but personally I do, so there's no need to invoke hidden motives for performing searches like these.

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 08:58 AM
link   
a reply to: ngchunter

Perhaps you don't understand why astronomers would want to learn these things, but personally I do…

Okay, got me there. I owned a telescope once upon a time, I get the amazing part. Thanks for setting me straight about that personal eye view.

so there's no need to invoke hidden motives for performing searches like these.

And you can't tell me they aren't looking for life as well or closer in our own solar system, signs of visitation.

We never expected to find planets in configurations like this, so in finding them the universe itself is teaching us about how solar systems actually form and develop.

So, the less massive the star (a dwarf in this case), the closer in the gas giants? The less gravity in a system from a host 'star', the smaller the system?

Really massive stars could have huge systems with many planets extending further out. There could be earth type planets in more star systems than we think.

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 09:52 AM
link   

I think rather recently our scientific community has proposed that the Drake equation may indeed be less accurate than was first imagined. The implication being that life in our universe, and even the existence of Earth like planets are far more abundant than first suspected.
edit on 7-5-2015 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 10:04 AM
link   

The implication being that life in our universe, and even the existence of Earth like planets are far more abundant than first suspected.

Agreed. When I saw newer pics of Galaxies and the Hubble Deep Field for the first time, my brain fell out.

Coupled with unbounded space and infinity, life must be everywhere out there and in abundance.

We are not the center of the Universe.

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 10:40 AM
link   

so there's no need to invoke hidden motives for performing searches like these.

And you can't tell me they aren't looking for life as well or closer in our own solar system, signs of visitation.

Looking for signs of life is not a hidden motive, we know they're looking for habitable planets and signs of life in the atmospheres of those planets. They openly state that.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Looking for signs of life is not a hidden motive, we know they're looking for habitable planets and signs of life in the atmospheres of those planets. They openly state that.

With current technology thats akin to looking for diamonds in your yard.

I also hold that they know a lot more than they tell us. Not one transmission detected at SETI? Not one bit of confirmed UFO footage from NASA? Not one "anomaly" detected with all the probes sent to every corner of the Solar System?

I know they are there, I saw one here on Earth.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 10:15 AM
link   

With current technology thats akin to looking for diamonds in your yard.

No, not exactly. Right now they're finding the first earth-sized worlds orbiting in the habitable zones of their host stars. That will be a logical first place to look with more advanced telescopes, particularly if they transit their host star so that we can look at the spectral signature of their atmosphere. The atmosphere itself can serve as a marker for the presence of alien life.

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Right now they're finding the first earth-sized worlds orbiting in the habitable zones of their host stars.

Not disagreeing they are there, I agree with that. Just the resolution is a bit low. I know there are tons of diamonds on earth, I just can't find any in my back yard.

Thats was closer to my analogy.

Remembering too, the Goldilocks zone has to be juuust right to even support life. And gasses in the atmosphere would assume a current technology similar to our own. Even more remote…

unless of course they terraform planets and life is spread throughout the galaxy like grapes on a vine. We would then be part of a cluster of grapes (habited worlds) and there should be ample evidence (even an inkling) of nearby habitation and or visitation…

But then theres that blank from SETI, NASA, and probe data proving this out.

Reminding again that its not a matter of belief with me, I've seen one of their thingys.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Very Interesting
cheers

top topics

<< 1   >>

join