It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seven assault convictions, yet a 'champion' in the ring -- Floyd Mayweather

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Millionaires, celebrities, 'people of import' all turned up to the Pacquiao-Mayweather "Fight of the Century". Vegas airport terminals were literally 'traffic jammed' with private jets, all clambering to get their money junkie occupants to their exorbitantly priced ringside seats. Untold millions around the globe tuning in; many paying upwards of US$100 to access the television coverage of the bout in question. 15,000 households in the Philippines putatively having to switch off their refrigerators in order to conserve electricity in order to watch the fight...

What does it say about society that the literal criminal, arguable misogynist and proven recidivist woman beater could not only draw such crowds to a boxing match, but that he was permitted to continue in the sport after such a dubious societal track record? Are females really held in such low regard in today's world?

If someone were to assault people based on race - punching everyone they saw who they did not like base purely on their racial derivation - would they be allowed to continue in a vocation where they're clearly a role model for impressionable youth? If someone clobbered the elderly because they were ageist, would they be accepted as influential members of society?

I wager the answers to the above questions is a resounding No!. So, why does Floyd Mayweather seemingly get a pass? Because he's served his time, as the law saw fit? Because his in-ring persona is somehow removed from his private self? Because they were 'crimes of passion'? Hmmm...

And what of the aforementioned slew of celebrities, who themselves are role models -- what kind of example did they set by appearing at this boxing match? Do these people not have a responsibility in their character as celebrities to present a public image which conveys a positive example to those who are invariably influenced by them? Or are they paid only to prance around in front of cameras and the like, and thereby divest themselves of all responsibility to society?

Now, I appreciate the character in question has spent his life being punch in the noggin and almost certainly suffers a degree of brain damage. So, as with NFL or WWE stars-turned-murders, this has likely a lot to do with his away-from-the-ring disposition (see: Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy). But this does not excuse the guy's actions and nor does it exonerate the sport he prospers from of culpability.

Mayweather was refused an entry visa into Australia based on his criminal record -- how low are the boxing authorities' standards set for those they employ? Granted, boxing is hardly a sport of integrity -- did not Mayweather cherry-pick the referee, judges, venue and even negotiate the prize money for the bout in question? But surely those who govern boxing must be held accountable for the governance of their own sport... no?

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 07:40 AM
link   

What does it say about society that the literal criminal, arguable misogynist and proven recidivist woman beater could not only draw such crowds to a boxing match, but that he was permitted to continue in the sport after such a dubious societal track record? Are females really held in such low regard in today's world?

Nah, most people pay to see him lose

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Another reason why UFC is justly taking over in combat sports.

They just recently stripped their Light Heavyweight champion due to a hit & run felony charge.

Would have made them millions, instead they take the high road and show that no one is above the rules of life.

I didn't watch the fight, I hear there were more twists in Jamie Foxx's version of the national anthem than there were in the Fight/Hype of the Century.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 07:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Indigent

Nah, most people pay to see him lose

Supposition and that's beside the point. The only way Mayweather could have 'lost' is if people simply ignored him. Instead, they flocked to his simia... I mean siren call and now he's $US180,000,000 richer for it.

Now, if that doesn't make your stomach turn, I suggest you stop voyeuring ISIS execution videos!

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 07:48 AM
link   
a reply to: MagmaCumsLoudly

What does it say about society that the literal criminal, arguable misogynist and proven recidivist woman beater could not only draw such crowds to a boxing match,

The ring is for boxing, not beating on women.

What does it say about a society that ignores its political, financial and military industrial complex 'beating up' on defenseless nations, focusing instead on some entertainment distraction?

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 07:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: ThinkingCap
Another reason why UFC is justly taking over in combat sports.
They just recently stripped their Light Heavyweight champion due to a hit & run felony charge.

Then I have a new-found respect for that particular Neanderthal sport.

I didn't watch the fight, I hear there were more twists in Jamie Foxx's version of the national anthem than there were in the Fight/Hype of the Century.

Nor did I. But in the context of how the bout was wrought (by the Mayweather camp), the usually sportsman-like Pacquiao's assessment of the fight and and anecdotal feedback of those who watched the fight, I'd say those who threw money at the event probably wished they invested with Charles Ponzi instead.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 07:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptrWhat does it say about a society that ignores its political, financial and military industrial complex 'beating up' on defenseless nations, focusing instead on some entertainment distraction?

Nice attempt at a thread derail. And although I appreciate the points you're making (/spamming), I r8 your b8 0.8/8, m8.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 07:54 AM
link   
I watched to see him lose. I have been wanting to see that joker lose for a long time.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 08:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

What does it say about society that the literal criminal, arguable misogynist and proven recidivist woman beater could not only draw such crowds to a boxing match,

The ring is for boxing, not beating on women.

What does it say about a society that ignores its political, financial and military industrial complex 'beating up' on defenseless nations, focusing instead on some entertainment distraction?

I would counter that a society that could draw such crowds for a literal criminal, arguable misogynist and proven recidivist woman beater is a direct mirror as to why society ignores its political, financial and military industrial complex 'beating up' on defenseless nations.

I would say the guy needs someone to take out a knee, but since he is so close to retirement he would still end his career without a loss. Someone needs to tko him on his last match. That would be a beautiful stain on his spotless record.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 08:14 AM
link   
a reply to: DYepes

I would say the guy needs someone to take out a knee, but since he is so close to retirement he would still end his career without a loss.

Over inflated egos have trouble standing down. Undefeated is a lonely pinnacle and the highest to fall from, whether it be boxing or world domination.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 08:29 AM
link   
The days of prize fight boxing are done. This "fight" was the nail in the coffin. Casual spectators talked into watching it are leaving unimpressed when the waning sport needed to keep some of those viewers as fans to reinvigorate it.
A few years ago I heard rumor of boxing being removed from the Olympics.

Mayweather may retire undefeated but will still be greeted with "who are you again and why do you feel you are important?" Ten years from now. "Oh youre a boxer? Geez, how OLD are you? Did you fight Rocky?"

As for his character...unsurprising. The wealthy can get away with assault on women and children all day long. Murder and child molestation are given a little more stern wag of the finger but are allowed to continue under the oh-so-fair US criminal justice system. ...And justice for all...who can afford it.

edit on 4-5-2015 by the owlbear because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-5-2015 by the owlbear because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 08:33 AM
link   
a reply to: ThinkingCap

M1 is taking over 2, good fights and always action

search M1 global on youtube.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Why would people that pay to watch two men beat the piss out of each other, care that one of the men beats the piss out of a women?

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 08:51 AM
link   
a reply to: TKDRL

well to be fair, I can usually watch that live for free by visiting my cities club district near downtown on a weekend. But this fight was supposed to be a good one, and now I am not disappointed that I could not make it to my cousins to view it while drinking to my hearts content. I dont even watch boxing and I wanted to see this because these are the two names I have been hearing everyone talk about for years that needed to fight.

I think MMA is more interesting anyways, boxing does not feel aggressive enough anymore. The world is to complicated to only fight with your hands. Plus MMA can teach you a helluva lot more than boxing just by viewing it. Of course nothing beats the real deal when it comes to learning how to fight so everyone join a gym and dont leave until you can for certain have the means to render an attacker unconscious and bloody.

Fighting is so liberating, people should do it more. In a controlled environment I mean ... of course...
I think I'll schedule a little match with my cousin one of these days. he is always down for some fun with gloves.

Funny all that crap I just talked about boxing, and its the first thing I go to when one of us wants to let off steam or just have fun fighting.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 08:52 AM
link   
'A Champion in the Ring'.

Pugilism, the sport where the contestants are paid to do what other people go to prison for doing.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Hey lets talk about the fashion industry and how it exploits workers to make dresses for a model and then Apple and its slave workers.
Maybe fruit pickers, football players, hell just about any sport. The local fast food places who fatten kids up and underpay workers

Everything, and I mean everything has problems, everything.

List what you like and I am sure we can find fault very fast.

i didnt watch the fight, wasnt that interested, surprised people showed up (and it was the cream of society)

I have issues with what you are saying MCL, how you single out boxing. Its always been corrupt always will be but so are politicians, cops, criminal system, its all broken

Its life, no justice, its everywhere

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 09:39 AM
link   
I didn't watch the fight because I am not a not a boxing fan, but he has paid his debt to society and should be free to go on with his life. Just because the media is telling us what crimes are worse than others so they can push their agenda dujour doesn't mean I am going to feign additional outrage. Frankly, I find your screen name more disgusting than Floyd Maywearher.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 09:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
I didn't watch the fight because I am not a not a boxing fan, but he has paid his debt to society and should be free to go on with his life. Just because the media is telling us what crimes are worse than others so they can push their agenda dujour doesn't mean I am going to feign additional outrage. Frankly, I find your screen name more disgusting than Floyd Maywearher.

Did Adrian Peterson also "pay his debt to society" leaving scars across his child's back, legs, and genitals from repeated lashings with a stick?
He has his probation for what an average person would have been jailed for felony assault on a minor.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Yeah, it would suck to be able to win everything in the world and still be considered a loser.
Poor guy

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 10:42 AM
link   

It's only a matter of time before the celebrity spectators are called out.

I spotted Bieber in Floyds corner in a social media photo-who is trying to be the wannabe hardass boxer in the making who couldn't fight his way out of a wet paper bag. I don't like the idea of flogging the shot out of someone for money but i'd fight Bieber for charity-however I'd have to lose 30 pounds to make the weight.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join