It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michael Slager Is Not Going to Prison for Killing Walter Scott: Here’s Why

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 10:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

Uh....no.
The MSM has already tried the cop in the court of public opinion and is moving on. Even Al Sharpton has moved on.
Won't happen per your scenario. The cop will be tried with no media coverage, found guilty, sentenced to 7 years, probated over 7 years and then he'll disappear with the story.

Game, set, match.

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Either the jurors will be afraid to acquit or afraid to convict. Six of one, half cousin of the other.

I'm still interested if anyone has heard any news about the possible witness who was riding in the car with Scott. Either someone was in the car, and they will be a key witness in the trial, or it was an interesting optical illusion of something moving as seen through the windshield which looks like a passenger was there.

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 11:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Agreed.

I see criminally negligent homicide/manslaughter being the final charge.

Many people plead, or are found guilty of lesser included offenses on a daily basis. Especially with no prior record.

However, even though that is how the justice system works, it will not satisfy the people.

Unless there is a straight up murder conviction I feel there will be bad rioting/protest.

Prepare yourself accordingly.

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 01:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: CharlesT
a reply to: BeefNoMeat

Only problem is that nothing is local any more. The Internet solved that problem. And that is why the Internet will eventually be regulated and censored by the gov.

I qualified what I said. It's patently clear that I believe it would be more than local. Especially that part about a global black-eye. There is no problem. I'm using the internet as I type to the rest of the world about this issue. Enuff said.

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 03:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bilk22

originally posted by: windword
a reply to: Bilk22

What do you think the autopsy photos will show that will keep this case out of the courtroom?

No bullet holes?

Seriously?

Are you serious? you surely are not suggesting this was fake.

please god, don't let him be saying that...

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 03:28 AM
link   
a reply to: lambs to lions

Always carry a tube of KY around too, so that when someone wants to poke you in the butty, it wont hurt as much.

That's what I hear you saying.

"Don't provoke the unstable man with the gun, he may shoot you. Sure it's wrong, but he's a police officer after all."

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 08:23 AM
link   
I was so proud that his parents asked Al Sharpton and his ilk to stay away.
The history of Al and Jesse just showing up to 'help"
would mean a riot bigger than the LA riots.
His grieving parents were so sensitive to the community
in their time of great grief to recognize that.

I didn't realize until this happened how hard it is to convict a police officer of murder.
Therefore, the prosecutor should go for manslaughter.
The judge should give him a long long sentence.
Once he is in jail, well his life will be much shorter than his sentence.
No need for the death penalty, just sending him to jail for even 10 years is a death sentence.

edit on 8Sat, 11 Apr 2015 08:25:07 -0500am41104amk116 by grandmakdw because: format

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 12:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell
LINK

All the conspiracy theorists who look for a case that will truly bring this social fabric to its knees, may have their case in the murder of Walter Scott in South Carolina by the policemen Micheal Slager when, according to this writer, who believes he wont be convicted, he is acquitted of murder by a South Carolina jury!

That would be devastating and likely make Ferguson seem like a tea party in comparison to the flaming street wars AND MASSIVE PROTESTS that will take place if this cop is acquitted!

t’s good he was arrested and charged with murder, but the Supreme Court made it hard to actually convict trigger-happy police officers.

There are two U.S. Supreme Court cases that articulate the bases upon which triers of fact must evaluate the propriety of the police’s use of force, in this case deadly force. Slager will almost certainly be tried before a jury in South Carolina, and this jury will be charged with making a determination as to Slager’s justification in the use of force using criteria articulated by the Supreme Court in Tennessee v. Garner (1985) and Graham v. Connor (1989).

Garner states that deadly force “may not be used unless necessary to prevent (an) escape and the officer has probable cause to believe that the suspect poses a significant threat of death or serious physical injury to the officer or others.” Scott was attempting to escape from Slager, and Slager’s attorney will no doubt attempt to convince the jury of Scott’s “dangerousness” and his intention to cause injury to Slager or some innocent person through some Machiavellian depiction of Scott’s criminal history and potential for violence. This latter challenge may prove vexing for defense counsel at Slager’s murder trial, but demonizing black men who meet a fateful end at the hands of a police officer in the United States has a demonstrable history of successful results—for the police.

The second relevant Supreme Court case is Graham v. Connor and it is here that Slager’s defense will likely prevail against the prosecution’s representation that Slager murdered Scott, since Graham gives wide latitude and the benefit of the doubt to the police in the use of force, particularly deadly force.

Least of all I fear If this scenario of the writer turns out to be true then this case can turn into another Rodney King case that caused massive riots.

There a video of numerous police beating King to almost death didn’t stop a mainly white Jury from acquitting the cops in that case. There were no blacks on that jury!

Amazing isn't it. I bet most people, INCLUDING ME, assumed this recent case in SC is an open and shut case but this writer believes that there will be an acquittal!

….And if that is the case this may be the case that literally tears this country apart
…and I bet a dime to a dollar that the case will be tried during the American presidential election season when it’s in its main period next year....

edit on Fri Apr 10 2015 by DontTreadOnMe because: trimmed long quote IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

Yeah I find it difficult to believe that they can argue that lethal force was NECESSARY to prevent someone who's running at 2 mph from getting away...

I do believe that police are required to meet physical standards of running faster than that depicted and he should've easily been able to run him down and tackle him and put hand cuffs on him rather than shooting him 8 times in the back...

Jaden

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 02:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: sn0rch

originally posted by: Bilk22

a reply to: Bilk22

What do you think the autopsy photos will show that will keep this case out of the courtroom?

No bullet holes?

Seriously?

Are you serious? you surely are not suggesting this was fake.

please god, don't let him be saying that...

Yes, that's exactly what is being suggested.

Yet some how producing a dead body with bullet wounds is "more involved" than creating a scenario involving dozens of people, at minimum.

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 02:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6
I honestly don't think he'll get a murder conviction.

I don't see how he can be acquitted, though.

I think a manslaughter conviction is far more likely than either of those.

Then again, who knows what the prosecutor's office will do.

The worry is that the charge will be murder. He should get manslaughter and that would be a slam dunk. But how much do you want to bet they charge murder?

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

He is charged with murder. Manslaughter is what's known as a "lesser included offense." You can't commit murder without committing manslaughter, but you can commit manslaughter without committing murder.

South Carolina has capital punishment. SCOTUS has held that in cases where capital punishment is possible (not even likely, just possible), the court must offer the jury the option of "lesser included offense" convictions.

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 04:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell
LINK

All the conspiracy theorists who look for a case that will truly bring this social fabric to its knees, may have their case in the murder of Walter Scott in South Carolina by the policemen Micheal Slager when, according to this writer, who believes he wont be convicted, he is acquitted of murder by a South Carolina jury!

The author of that article is not from around these parts, obviously. There is simply NO WAY in HELL South Carolina will risk having violent and destructive riots so close to an historic city like Charleston.

Mark my words: Michael Slager will be put away forever and never heard of again.

edit on 11-4-2015 by Seeker Mom because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 05:25 PM
link   
I guess you guys are right. It's perfectly okay for a cop to shoot a man eight times in his back while he is RUNNING AWAY FROM HIM!!!!!. The cop will not go to prison for excessive force ..

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Since the DA filed murder 1 against the now fired officer, I think he'll be acquitted. If they gave him manslaughter he'd get the time behind bars.

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 06:28 PM
link   
a reply to: balanc3

From a post a couple above:

"He is charged with murder. Manslaughter is what's known as a "lesser included offense." You can't commit murder without committing manslaughter, but you can commit manslaughter without committing murder.

South Carolina has capital punishment. SCOTUS has held that in cases where capital punishment is possible (not even likely, just possible), the court must offer the jury the option of "lesser included offense" convictions."

The jury can still convict of manslaughter and " he'd get the time behind bars".

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 08:33 AM
link   
This is an interesting analysis:

theconservativetreehouse.com... ts/

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 09:36 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Charging someone with murder doesn't rule out a manslaughter conviction.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 11:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: BeefNoMeat

"He is charged with murder. Manslaughter is what's known as a "lesser included offense." You can't commit murder without committing manslaughter, but you can commit manslaughter without committing murder.

South Carolina has capital punishment. SCOTUS has held that in cases where capital punishment is possible (not even likely, just possible), the court must offer the jury the option of "lesser included offense" convictions."

The jury can still convict of manslaughter and " he'd get the time behind bars".

Not any more.

Michael Slager Won't Face Death Penalty If Convicted In Fatal Shooting Of Walter Scott

None of the circumstances that allow lethal punishment apply in the April 4 shooting of 50-year-old Walter Scott by North Charleston police officer Michael Slager, said Scarlett Wilson, Charleston County's chief prosecutor.

This guy is gonna walk!

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 02:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: BeefNoMeat

This guy is gonna walk!

I sure hope note. They have charged a 73 yr old rent-a-cop in OK with manslaughter for killing a black man.

73 year old white rent-a-cop is charged with 2nd degree manslaughter in killing of black man

I, honestly, used to believe that the rhetoric about a 'police state' was just a fantasy of the Alex Jones ilk, but, I was wrong all along. I was the one living in a fantasy. This is no fantasy. It's the reality.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join