It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do Not become the thing you hate!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 02:31 PM
link   
I see it all the time. Some shocking horrible incident or crime. The many many posts on forums and social media such as "this person must burn" etc.
To wish such agony or harm upon another person, no matter what they have done, makes them win. You are becoming the thing you hate by allowing their evil to consume you and so live on through you.
Emotions do run deep but, you can not wish such suffering on another human being, no matter what they have done. You may wish them dead, removed from this earth. No longer a part of the gene pool, and no longer able to influence or do harm, but you must NEVER fall into the trap of allowing evil to influence you. There is never a good reason to wish evil to exist. Evil does not destroy evil.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Well said. Good post

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Yep, to take on the talk and advocate violence to the perp who just did some violence is no better, is it? I often wonder about those posters too and if they are capable of speaking like that, then are they likewise violent people? How does that make them any different?

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: tastyrawmeat

Indeed.

Look at history. Hatred does not end hatred, violence does not end violence, darkness does not end darkness.

Be the better person.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Good post but, I'm on the fence, so to speak.

I see both points of view. I realize it may not be a "healthy" choice for the victim but, what if the crime or offense is so egregious or life shattering to the victim that they have no other means of self preservation but to feel total and complete hate and wrath?

I begin to ramble....

I see both views...

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 02:46 PM
link   
To each their own...

I'll continue to hope that horrific retribution will befall evil entities.

In this life and the next.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Once again, some one espousing a non violent solution. And once again, good intentions, but it can never be done. Humans are humans after all and and as such, we are bound by emotions.

There is a solution out there, what it is, I have no idea and honestly doubt it really exists, but this isn't it.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 02:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
To each their own...

I'll continue to hope that horrific retribution will befall evil entities.

In this life and the next.

And that is supposed to make you the good guy? "Horrific retribution"?

Orwell warned us against this thinking. He warned us against confusing peace and retribution, against this "War is Peace" mentality.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 02:52 PM
link   
This comes to mind.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

No hate there...just justice.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 02:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: TDawgRex
This comes to mind.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

These men who stand would not need to do violence if the world was not so full of attackers in the first place.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 03:04 PM
link   

I disagree and the phrase "fight fire with fire" comes to mind for me.

I am just not wired to play nice when bad things happen. Someone does harm to me or my family, they're going to meet a pissed off Ginger from hell.

YOUR actions result in YOUR penalties. The ONLY time there is any trouble around me is when other people bring it. Don't want any, don't bring any. It's really that simple.

The problem is people.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 03:05 PM
link   
a reply to: swanne
So you rely on the police and criminal justice to fix the world for you, good luck with that.
I've seen violent criminals get suspended prison terms, community service, or fines (which are paid in instalments in the UK) continue with their offending behaviour many times over the years.
...I've also seen violent criminals in my area get the living # beaten out of them and they've either stopped their behaviour or moved away to a community such as yours which I presume relies solely on the police.
Be holier than thou as much as you like but I prefer how my community deals with bad stuff. We have 1 cop per 1000 people in the Winter, and 1 cop per 5000 people in the Summer...we do not tend to rely on the police here.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 03:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: swanne

This comes to mind.

These men who stand would not need to do violence if the world was not so full of attackers in the first place.

Don't get me wrong, I think most people would rather take care of business in a peaceful manner, Soldiers included. But that just isn't the way mankind is wired. Something evil is always coming this way all the time. Either acquiesce or fight it. I choose to fight it.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 03:10 PM
link   

This comes to mind.

100% agree. However, don't look down on those of us(not saying you are) that hope for violence being fought with violence.

I see nothing wrong with blowing the head off a child molester.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

You are taking this way too personal, mate.

I was merely saying that seeking violence only bring in more violence, not peace.

And anyway, how does beating up a criminal help making him have compassion to other human beings?

Have you ever considered that many criminals are violent because they were beaten so often?

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 03:11 PM
link   
to clarify, I am not exposing a non violent solution! But there are ways and means. Like I said, if you have to kill, to remove the evil from society, so be it. But to wish suffering and torment, it means that you have the same capacity for this kind of thing, as the person who has provoked you. Wish them gone! That I understand, dead, removed from existence, but there is a whole world of difference between that and wanting to torture etc.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Don't get me wrong, I think most people would rather take care of business in a peaceful manner, Soldiers included. But that just isn't the way mankind is wired.

Then it is time an electrician comes to change this wiring.

The mind is like a canvas - it can be filled with darkness, but it can also be filled with a masterpiece. Change is hard... But what gratification would there be if it was easy?

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 03:17 PM
link   
a reply to: swanne

Trying to come up with a witty response, but all I can think of is beating a criminal.

I guess I'm part of what the OP is trying to stop.lol

And don't tell me beating a criminal doesn't put a smile on your face.
edit on 12-3-2015 by KawRider9 because: Criminal beating

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 03:21 PM
link   

a reply to: grainofsand

You are taking this way too personal, mate.

I was merely saying that seeking violence only bring in more violence, not peace.

And anyway, how does beating a criminal help making him have compassion to other human beings?

How am I taking it personal? I just provided an observation of my nice safe community which is prepared to use violence towards community members who use criminal violence against us. It has worked every time I've seen it, either the violent crim changes their behaviour or they move away to a place full of people with similar views to yourself where they know they are safe to continue offending with just a slap on the wrist from the courts.

Violence has brought peace to my area numerous times when dealing with violent people.
You carry on phoning the cops and devolving all responsibility for community protection to the police as much as you like, I'm glad we don't do it here.
...and as far as "helping a violent criminal have compassion" goes, I couldn't give a toss what compassion they have, just the effect their lack of it may have on my community. They treat the community with criminal violence, men in the community react and give them a beating, they either change their behaviour or move away. Seen it loads of times...if you live in the UK let me know which region and next time we have a 'problem' I'll suggest they move there for an easy ride with their violent criminal behaviour, as you appear to advocate calling the cops instead of dealing with things as a community, lol.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 03:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: KawRider9

And don't tell me beating a criminal doesn't put a smile on your face.

It does. But I don't let this corrupt my soul.

There is an old Native American tale that illustrates it well:

"One evening an old Cherokee Indian told his grandson about a battle that goes on inside people. He said, ‘My son, the battle is between two ‘wolves’ inside us all.One is Evil. It is anger, envy, jealousy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego.

The other is good. It is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion and faith.’

The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather: ‘Which wolf wins?’

The old Cherokee simply replied, ‘The one you feed.’
"

<<   2 >>

join