It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Glaciers melting

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2004 @ 02:19 AM
link   
This has been bugging me for some time now. People say that when the glaciers, and the poles melt, the oceans will rise and consume all land masses. but i thought water expanded when it was frozen? if the glaciers and poles really did melt, wouldnt the oceans go down?

posted on Dec, 18 2004 @ 03:47 AM
link   
These articles might answer your question
www.usatoday.com...
www.usatoday.com...
You are right to think that melting iceburgs wouldn't have any effect on sea level. As they're already floating on the ocean, they don't raise sea levels when they melt
The problem lays in Ice that is currently sitting on land. If this melted , then the water would run into the sea causing levels to rise.

posted on Dec, 18 2004 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Actually, he is wrong to think that icebergs will have no effect. TRUE! that icebergs are already in the water, but can't you see them? That is because 1/3 of them is above the water. If you do the math, that can add up to something.

However, you are right. Glaciers will be the big one, and the one that does what is expected, which doesn't need one more person to mention it.

posted on Dec, 18 2004 @ 09:05 AM
link   
But reffering to the first post, I am not quite sure, and this is not the first time that your question has come up. Over the holidays, I shall see if I can do a study on it, but I shall report to you my findings as soon as they come.

PS. I have a feeling that I shall find water to expand both ways, but we shall see!

posted on Dec, 18 2004 @ 10:18 AM
link   
actually she as me
is right about melting iceburgs having no effect on water levels

click the link for an experiment that you can do to prove this

www.bbc.co.uk...

Melting ice
One of the most common misconceptions about polar seas is that if ice shelves or icebergs melt, the sea level will rise. This is actually not true - why?
1) Water expands when it freezes making it less dense than the water from which it freezes. In fact, its volume is a little over 9% greater (or density ~ 9% lower) than in the liquid state.
2) Therefore both ice shelves and icebergs float on the sea surface.
3) As they float, they displace the same volume of water that they contain.
4) So if they were to melt, the sea level would stay exactly the same.

this is the real problem that melting iceshelves could cause

Just because melting ice shelves and icebergs have no effect on sea level doesn�t mean that there isn�t actually a problem. If global warming causes large areas of Antarctic ice-shelf to break off and melt, the sea level won�t be affected; but what could happen is ice and snow covering the continent will no longer have anything holding it in place. If this slides into the ocean and melts, then the sea level will rise. It has been estimated that if the Antarctic ice sheet melted, it would raise sea levels by around 65 to 70 metres! So global warming could have catastrophic effects!

top topics

join