It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5 mile runway at AREA 51

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 07:03 PM
link   
It's only smart to have a 5 mile runway. Keep in Mind, We've developed and put so much money in many supersonic aircraft, we just haven't been thinking too much about their braking systems. We're not trying to set braking records.

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 04:43 PM
link   
It's actually 6 miles or 10,000 feet long. I just saw it on Discovery Channel!

Would they be right?

Xon

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 07:54 AM
link   
its nor sure if discovery is right but I really doent know. 10 000 feet hears correct but what is fore sure is that it is quite long

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 07:19 PM
link   
How wide is the thing anyway? How many planes or space shuttles could land side by side on it simultaneously?

and hold on...10000 feet?

That's more like 2 miles. Not even.

[edit on 1/19/2005 by southern_cross3]

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Guess there's a tendancy to just look at the title of the thread and not actually read through it. The runway is only 11,000 feet long, the runway built to the east of the really long one is the only operational one. The older one built for the A-12 program and then lengthened for the F-117 became unusable over time tue to deteroration. The big lake overrun strip isn't technically part of the runway to begin with, its not for landing on, was only for recovery purposes if a jet failed its brakes.

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by MAVERICK05
What do you think the 5 mile runway ant AREA 51 is for? I dont really know myself, supposedly its big enough to land the space shuttle at, i think its true too, what couldnt land on a 5 mile runway??? I also heard it was for a superbomber, and that its payload was so heavy, that it needed every last bit of that 5 miles, if you have any ideas, please post, thanks,

MAVERICK05

I dont believe there is anything to be in suspicion of that Area51 has a 5 mile long runway. You would think that with testing any aircraft, they would do take-off run test, taxi tests, and landing rollout tests. Check out Eglin AFB. I live about an hour away from there and trust me..ALOT of suspicious things go on at that place. Believe it or not, Eglin has TopSecret Expiremental aircraft flying in there at least once every 2 weeks to be tested. It may seem like such and airbase, but try and find alot of information about it. Its very descreet.

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Why do all of your suggestions always have to have a plane landing and taking off. It might be used for engine trials with the aircraft or vehicle testing perhaps?

Xon

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Is it 2 metric miles and 5 american miles?

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 10:23 PM
link   
there are 5280 feet in an american mile, im not sure about other mesurements, but that dose meen that 10,000 feet is only about 2 miles

Velvet

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 09:25 PM
link   
All the talk of an Area 51 shuttle landing reminds me that when I lived in New Mexico in the 1980s, when both Edwards in California and Cape Kennedy were weathered in, a shuttle did land at White Sands. It was 1982, March 30, when Shuttle Columbia landed at the Northrup Strip.

[edit on 24-1-2005 by TheAvenger]

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 03:13 AM
link   
its probley that big for the motherships

[edit on 1/26/2005 by sexygeek]

Xon

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheAvenger
All the talk of an Area 51 shuttle landing reminds me that when I lived in New Mexico in the 1980s, when both Edwards in California and Cape Kennedy were weathered in, a shuttle did land at White Sands. It was 1982, March 30, when Shuttle Columbia landed at the Northrup Strip.

Where did you find this?

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xon
Is it 2 metric miles and 5 american miles?

The "mile" is not a "metric" (or SI) unit;

en.wikipedia.org..." target="_blank" class="postlink" rel="nofollow">
en.wikipedia.org...

You may be confusing International, and US Survey miles, but the diifference between these is pretty small ( 1609.344 m as opposed to 1609.347 m) :

en.wikipedia.org..." target="_blank" class="postlink" rel="nofollow">
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 03:08 AM
link   
You can NEVER have too much runway...In some way, I am sure this is similar to the runway at Edwards, built on a dry lakebed.

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Well the '5-mile runway' was a dirt road before the base was there. The government/military (mil/gov) built a small base at the end of the road, it was more of a hanger though. The hanger was to store aircraft while bringing them by road, transporting the aircraft by night, and stopping at a secret hanger in the day. Then the hanger shut down because a new road opened going to the mil/gov's secret test base (Edwards). Lockheed latter bought the old hanger base and used the dirt road for a cheap runway. They had to clean the dirt road a lot, but it was cheaper to clean then to pave. After the Blackbird was sold to mil/gov, Lockheed started to pave that road. Latter on, we used a new runway for testing aircraft, we still use the road sometimes though, but it mainly used to test how an aircraft lands without brakes. The new runway is also used for tranporting people (JANET).

As you can see, there is a lot more to know about DREAMland!

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 10:24 AM
link   
i would think that the smaller runway next to it is used for JANETS but that's just a thought
im suprised they don't have more then just two runways, if you think about it, a regualr air port has more then just 2 runways

Velvet

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 01:45 PM
link   
My career/specialty in the Air Force is Airfield Management (advanced tecnology and equiptment) so I am going to do my best to clarify this a bit broader. A 10,000 foot long runway, with a width of 250 feet wide is more than enough for atleast 2 space shuttles to land at once. But the more runway length you have, the better. A bomber requires a runway width of 300 feet with atleast 8,000 feet in length to land and fully stop. The runway I am in operational control of is 11,000 feet long and 250 wide, which is more than enough for atleast 3 250ft long jet aircraft to land and take off. As for the rumor about Area 51 (Nellis AFB) being 5 miles long, well that could pretty much mean there is more than enough room for a fictitious/-more than possibly real Mother-Ship to land undetected/cloaked. Or more down to earth reason, to test advanced aircraft our that I know our USMIL/Air Force flys/experiments with on a day to day basis.

~ Airman Eric Adamo ~
---- U.S. Air Force ----

P.S. If you have anymore question about runways/airfields or any military bases you think has UFO/Alien activity going on, I may be able to answer your question through certain lines of communication.

[edit on 29-1-2005 by 2Super7E123]

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 07:58 PM
link   
advanced tech and equipment? so what do you do?

Velvet

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 06:21 AM
link   
The lon runway is mainly for high speed test planes. The reason for the length is so you can make emergency landing without brakes. The plane can touch down and roll out with out a braking system. better to make it too long, then not long enough!

Tim
ATS Director of Counter-Ignorance

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xon
Where did you find this?

A simple Googling would have told you the answer to that one. I remember the pictures of this. I always thought the sand coming off the ground was awesome.

www.wstf.nasa.gov...

<< 1  2    4 >>

join