It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dont freaking ``bro`` me!!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 06:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

Stremmons get off my arse with your over the top PC bull# for real man

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 06:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: kayleighkitty
How much do i hate that word of bro

Now i freely admit not being some Oxford graduate or posh git, but every time i hear somebody say ``you alrite bro``
it just comes across as so lazy and slob like a sentence to use

What the heck has become of the English language that it is butchered by people with their ``innit mate``

and `` bro, bro`` bs.. i mean heck they arent even words!!

Don't be gimme no backchat now bro,ya get me?
Seriously though,
The English language has been eviscerated by such technologies as the mobile phone,laptop,tablet and wanton globalization.
Do not hope to get it back-those days are long gone.

ya getme bro?
roflmaopimp beeaach.

I do apologise in the most sincere terms.
But its truedat.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 07:03 PM
link   
a reply to: kayleighkitty

I have seen multiple posts where you complain about things people do or say. Why can't people just be what they want to be? If you hate the term "bro" don't use it. If you don't like something else someone says, or does, don't do it either.

You are in no position to dictate what other can or cannot do. Ignore it and move on. Lead by example.

I can't stand when people pick apart other people and try to label them with some negative stereotype for using certain language, but you won't see me starting a thread about it because its none of my business what other people do.

You will forever find annoying aspects of people's personalities, pop culture, and society in general. My advice would be to learn to ignore it. Dwelling on that which annoys you can only lead to bitterness and hate, which serves no purpose and can only lead to increased negativity.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 07:06 PM
link   
a reply to: TechniXcality

Call it PC all you want, people talk different, get over it and stop acting like they don't have the right to talk how they want.

Cause news flash, the way you talk probably sounds just as strange.

And it has nothing to do with their education level, it is a product of environment.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 07:11 PM
link   

I never gave my opinion on ebonics. You stop policing speech, I'm not.

Yes ebonics is a result of under education. Its origins are the cotton fields of pre civil war America .

Further, why aren't scientist or professionals using ebonics as a descriptive laungage if its just the way someone speaks and not the result of poor upbringing?

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Bro, it's a term of endearment. Chillaxe.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 07:20 PM
link   

I live in Essex, England.

It is FULL of people who cannot for the life of them understand which are the correct grammatical mechanisms to use in a given situation. This is a typical sentence, spoken by one of the knuckle dragging half lives who walks past my shop every day...

"You awright Bruv? Bare cold innit? Booyah!"

This sentence has it all. Words which mean nothing, words which are horrifically mispronounced, and words being misused. I feel like the best thing to do, would be to get a t-shirt made which has, printed proudly across its frontage, the words :

Either speak properly, or nail gun your mouth shut!

Edit to add:

All this talk of Ebonics... Well, I do not know about that. This gutter tripe language from my region (which I would not speak, despite being of very common stock thank you very much) is spoken by the majority of people in my area, regardless of skin tone, origins, nationality, and what have you. It is just some horrible mess that came about out of laziness, and should be eradicated, preferably by fire, or with a blunt force instrument, at every available opportunity.

edit on 27-2-2015 by TrueBrit because: Added clarification.

edit on 27-2-2015 by TrueBrit because: More clarity.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 07:24 PM
link   
I know right, i saw a documentary on Philadelphia and the people were talking about the police
cept they werent calling them police
it sounded like pow lice!

What the hell there is NO W in the word police!!

Also,

originally posted by: TechniXcality

Alright woman. Whatever you say,

I know, its not easy being a grill

edit on 27-2-2015 by kayleighkitty because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 07:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific

a reply to: nonspecific

It shanequa dar he'll nah shanequa don't live here no mo...

Nope, your explanation actually made me more confused?

Unless that was a ricky Martin song, I've heard of him?
its a form of predominantly under educated African American English. Ebony the core of the words and ics referring to phonics

Long term conditining won, we lost.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 07:29 PM
link   
a reply to: TechniXcality

Yes ebonics is a result of under education. Its origins are the cotton fields of pre civil war America .

Which is NOT a form of education but that of an environment!
Sure its origins may come from people that were not educated, but news flash, they were not allowed to be either.

I never said it was a professional way to speak, but to assume that those in higher education didn't grow up around it would be obtuse.

And it is not even exclusive to african americans, it is from the deep south where pretty much every one talks a little different then the rest of us.

edit on thFri, 27 Feb 2015 19:32:44 -0600America/Chicago220154480 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Whaaa!!!? You mean you're not that chick in your avvy? Damn internet...

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 07:33 PM
link   

I bet it isn't but at least you got pretty eyes?

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 07:35 PM
link   
a reply to: MasterMaximum

The truth is racist.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Y u mad bro?

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 07:36 PM
link   

I don't even want to engage in this argument.i was just trying to flirt with the OP and be funny.

link   
White people get mad about the strangest things. Let people speak how they please, and mind ya own self mang.

link   
a reply to: abe froman

Cause no one else talks that way right?
No one in the south would say no mo but shanequa?

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 07:38 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

When I taught high school English, I found I had to treat Ebonics as though it were another of the "primary languages other than English" that were spoken in students' homes. I actually had to make, and stick to, a formal declaration that my English classroom was an English Only Zone - and that standard, formal English was the norm.

Naturally - journals, fiction, creative writing ALL could use any language the student chose, but I can only evaluate what I can understand. The rule I followed was: "If your writing does not convey your meaning, then I cannot give this piece of writing any better than a C. Submit a translation that I can comprehend, and I will reconsider the grade."

Sure, parents howled. At first. Their snowflake deserved better than a C. Handing the paper over, and asking the parent to explain the theme, characterization, plot development, etc. etc. and watching them struggle through:

A) The poor grammar, individualized spellings, and lack of formal structure
B) Lousy handwriting

usually made the point.

I must stress that I taught 11th and 12th graders - students who were within 2 years of tackling college or some other life after high school. This is way too late to learn that the ability to spell cashier can mean never having to be one.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Bet if we look at your text messages you send to your mates will be full of butchered English like LOL and OMG and OTFL and what's that new one [sic] what the heck does that mean, or what about all of these y

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 07:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: kayleighkitty
I know right, i saw a documentary on Philadelphia and the people were talking about the police
cept they werent calling them police
it sounded like pow lice!

What the hell there is NO W in the word police!!

Also,

Alright woman. Whatever you say,

I know, its not easy being a grill

Are you really a grill or not, I love George Forman as much as the next guy but please be honest.

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join