It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WHO Warns of Climate Impact on Tropical Disease Spread

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 12:16 PM
link   
The WHO is sounding the alarm on the spread of diseases and viruses as a result of environmental warming. They are saying that Tropical diseases, normally spread by mosquitoes, are going to spread into less tropical areas as things warm up and unless action is taken now there will be

UN health body calls for more government funds to slow spread of malaria, dengue and other mosquito-borne viruses. Changes in the global temperature, together with rainfall and humidity levels are expected to “increase the distribution and incidence of at least a subset of these diseases”, write the authors.

Heavy rainfall is linked to increases in dengue fever, which causes flu-like symptoms but can be fatal. Every year an estimated 390 million are infected. The WHO says dengue has already re-emerged in countries where it has been absent for decades, along with related mosquito-borne viruses such as chikungunya and zika. It says early detection and targeting of these diseases will save money in the long run, citing success in halting the spread of guinea-worm disease through widespread treatment programmes. “With such huge numbers affected, controlling these diseases paves the way for an exodus from poverty,” WHO Director-General Dr Margaret Chan said in a statement. The WHO also says more investment is needed to tackle unsanitary conditions – which can offer prime breeding grounds for mosquitoes.

There's a chart on the page with a more extensive list of all of the diseases that could affect less tropical areas. This sounds like bad news for the environment as things warm up. What says ATS?

www.rtcc.org...

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

Here we go again! It will rain frog, water will turn blood and the rapture will come and get you. Now give us your money as you won't need it in heaven...

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: PeterMcFly

They're just being proactive about the situation before it gets out of hand. It's not always about just taking more of your money.

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Would have packed a bigger punch for me if they'd sent this out in the middle of a summer, and not during this freaky winter weather that won't quit.

Curious exactly what is implied by this statement:

"... controlling these diseases paves the way for an exodus from poverty,” WHO Director-General Dr Margaret Chan said in a statement.

...because here in the US, being free of these illnesses is not a ticket out of poverty. Maybe they mean the country as a whole, so it does not have to spend so much on treating their sick? Not sure, because in the article, the UN says if they could spend just .1% of their GDP they could stomp these things out. Do they mean .1% more?

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 01:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: new_here
Would have packed a bigger punch for me if they'd sent this out in the middle of a summer, and not during this freaky winter weather that won't quit.

"... controlling these diseases paves the way for an exodus from poverty,” WHO Director-General Dr Margaret Chan said in a statement.

Let' me intrepret - it means this "the best way to mitigate the spread of topical diseases is through raising the level of higene of those living in proverty of topical locales. The mosquito disease vector can be controled, not eliminated, in areas that can afford proper hygeine - running water, toilets, healthcare - simple stuff.

And to answer your next (I'll be nice) agrument - it's not a complete measure and the rates of tropical diseases will raise but not as severely as in poor areas.

We are already seeing a rise of tropical diseases in temperate climates.

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 02:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: FyreByrd

originally posted by: new_here

Let' me intrepret - it means this "the best way to mitigate the spread of topical diseases is through raising the level of higene of those living in proverty of topical locales. The mosquito disease vector can be controled, not eliminated, in areas that can afford proper hygeine - running water, toilets, healthcare - simple stuff.

And to answer your next (I'll be nice) agrument - it's not a complete measure and the rates of tropical diseases will raise but not as severely as in poor areas.

We are already seeing a rise of tropical diseases in temperate climates.

You said it better than me. Thanks! Yes, poorer areas will be affected worse however with world infrastructure and transport systems increasing so does the potential for the transport of these illnesses.

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

"the best way to mitigate the spread of topical diseases is through raising the level of higene of those living in proverty of topical locales."

Other way around, friend... The quote did not speak to raising people out of poverty situations improving their health. That would make perfect sense. It said just the opposite... that getting rid of these diseases leads to an exodus from poverty. Here it is again:

"... controlling these diseases paves the way for an exodus from poverty”

As in, make them well and they can exit poverty. Bold statement, considering the poverty in the US, absent the diseases they're talking about.

I just wonder how they expect that to play out.

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 02:35 PM
link   
But global warming doesn't apply to here. It's never going to get really warm here in the UP. Unless those tropical diseases can live in subzero weather I am not going to worry about them moving here. I've come to believe that they are just trying to depress us Yoopers with their idle promises of warmth.

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Last time I heard a statement from WHO they said ebola was going to wipe out millions across the globe .. Yeh look what happened to that.

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 03:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: ThePeaceMaker
Last time I heard a statement from WHO they said ebola was going to wipe out millions across the globe .. Yeh look what happened to that.

Don't speak too soon....

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 03:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
But global warming doesn't apply to here. It's never going to get really warm here in the UP. Unless those tropical diseases can live in subzero weather I am not going to worry about them moving here. I've come to believe that they are just trying to depress us Yoopers with their idle promises of warmth.

You are in the medical field, correct? What do you think about this article? Nothing to worry about..........?

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 11:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: ThePeaceMaker

That is a horribly inaccurate respresentation of what WHO actually predicted.

I think what they actually said was "there could be 1.4 milion cases in West Africa if nothig more was done." And they called it a worse case.

new topics

top topics

join