It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boston’s Record-Shattering Snow Turns Neighbor Against Neighbor

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Thanks for the info mateys.

It's not the snow removal that I find a piss take... As has been said its a good work out and common decency.

But the forcing people to do it or face a fine nonsense... That's incentive not to do it just to middle finger the man.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 10:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
What the Hell is a "snow removal offender"...

I don't understand your Government sometimes.

How can you fine people for not shovelling snow from a sidewalk?

Surely that's a Government job?

No it isn't the Governments job to clear the sidewalks. Generally that is up to the property owner. As is clearing the area around fire hydrants and mowing the tree lawn in the summer.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 10:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: baddmove

Didn't I read somewhere that hiring kids to shovel was illegal?

Nahhh ... I remember the POTUS making some remark about shovel ready jobs. This has to be it (finally).

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 10:10 PM
link   
a reply to: ProfessorChaos

I've never been through a winter like this in my 40 years... this is insanity.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 10:59 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

As has been said its a good work out and common decency.

It's also a good way to have a heart attack. When I was young I would shovel snow for extra money but at my age now the mayor would have to kiss my behind before I start shoveling snow again.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 11:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: KeliOnyx

No it isn't the Governments job to clear the sidewalks. Generally that is up to the property owner. As is clearing the area around fire hydrants and mowing the tree lawn in the summer.

Tree lawn....?? *snicker*

edit on 12-2-2015 by CraftBuilder because: CraftBulder has never heard the term "tree lawn" before and wonders where KeliOnyx is from.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 01:49 AM
link   
We have had one snow storm after another. We have another 6 to 12 inches coming over the weekend. I swear, people are running out of room to put the snow. Some streets are piled so high, drivers can't see around the corners. There's no place to put it!

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 02:20 AM
link   
The excess snow/water should be stored for periods of water shortages, or loaded into containers and shipped to areas with water shortages.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 03:34 AM
link   
Where I live, the streets and public sidewalks are the first things to get cleared by our town municipality.

And when the snow builds up to the point that there are mountains everywhere, the snow gets removed, hauled away, and dumped into an open field just outside of town.

If someone were to injure themselves while trying to navigate on a public street or sidewalk because it wasn't cleared and sanded properly, the municipality is held liable.

What the heck are you guys paying taxes for ??
edit on 13-2-2015 by CranialSponge because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 10:13 AM
link   
I've lived in Boston in the past. When it snows it sucks. All the housing is on top of each other. The cops yell at you if you shovel the snow tha'ts not on your property back into the street for the city to not plow.

After spending the first half of your day shoveling and clearing your spot you retrieve your car six blocks away only to find some jackhole took your spot in that 15 minutes you were gone.

I have been involved in physical altercations with Boston "neighbors" over snow and parking spots.

I blame the city.

Dump it in the habah Mahty!

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 10:16 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

When opportunity knocks, start a snow shoveling business.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 12:53 PM
link   

It wasn't illegal to hire snow shovellers. It was illegal for the snow shovellers to solicit business by passing out flyers without a permit. They just need to change their advertising methods.
edit on 13-2-2015 by StoutBroux because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 12:58 PM
link   

I agree with the point that folk should be responsible for the sidewalk (pavement here in the UK) outside their home when it snows.

When it snows here in the UK I'm always shovelling the snow from my pavement and the road and my elderly neighbours driveways. It annoys me when others don't do the same. It's our civic duty IMO unless you're infirm or elderly.

I've been known to order a ton of salt for our small cul de sac and let the neighbours use it when required. We had five weeks of snow when I lived in Scotland and my street was one of the few that had clear roads and pavements for the whole five weeks as all the neighbours did their bit. Problem today is everyone is waiting for someone else to do it and have the opinion it's not their responsibility.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Let me ask you a serious question here. What if there was a dangerous hole(not massive) in the side walk outside your property and someone injured themselves in the said hole, who would you sue for injury resulted from the hole?
Or better still who is responsible maintaining the side walks.
Now the answer to both those questions should be your local authority and the local authority should be responsible for maintaining the safety of those side walks and by extension clearing the danger of snow.
Now if you can't get that bit of legislation into you local authority then I really feel for you.
By the way that is what Charlie Spiers was curios over as in the UK it is the local authorities job to keep the carriageways clear and safe for the public.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Tweet for those of you living in Boston:

Last subway trains to leave downtown Boston no later that 12:50 am ET Sunday morning, MBTA says - @wbznewsradio

This is to allow for uninterrupted snow-clearing operations.
edit on 13-2-2015 by aboutface because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I just don't understand this, according to NASA last year was really warm, so how is it cold enough for that much snow?

Actually, more heat, more water vapour, more snow, but, global temperature has not changed in 16 years, from NASA's own satellites, something not quite right here...

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 02:42 PM
link   

I have a quad with a plow and I do my neighbors driveways also...Why can't people just help people without needing money or telling on each other? What the hell happened to this planet and the race of humans who are living here?????

I plow many of my neighbors driveways and never asked for a cent! There is an elderly lady I saw outside shoveling, I stopped by on the quad and asked her if I could help, she said no because she thought I wanted something in return...I said to her "ma'am, I am just asking if I could help you as a neighbor, I want nothing in return". She then said, sure you can help me...I wish my husband would say that to me once in a while! So some old bastard is making his elderly wife shovel the driveway....We have kids in our neighborhood who could do it, just this generation wants to do it from their ipad....

Doesn't it feel good to help others? I do it as much as I can and it feels damn good!! I wish others would feel the same way and take some pride in being nice, WITHOUT requiring something in return!

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Round here there's a new scam going plow someone's drive without permission and leave a bill taped to their door. I came home yesterday and out drive was plowed but have no idea who so far. I have a tractor and it only takes 15 minutes to do mine and the neighbors. The neighbors wasn't plowed so I still went and did it

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Aww hell. I came in here hoping to see rioting in the streets and stealing food and shootemup bang bangs.

But the drama here is snow shoveling? Yawnnnnnnnn....

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 03:15 PM
link   
a reply to: ~Lucidity

I'm guessing you haven't seen recent pics of Boston.

Here's the way I see it... there's an aging population in Boston and some of the more physically challenged folk are a tad unsure if they'd actually survive shovelling snow in the wind and cold.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join