It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Freakishly small dog

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 06:19 AM
link   
forums.ebay.co.uk...

Just found this link on the fortean times message boards. If the original poster has got her measurements right, this is a taxidermy of a 2 inch high dog. Scroll down for pictures. Could be a model or a toy, but they seem pretty sure.

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 08:31 AM
link   
I wonder why the photo has the glare over the dog's face? Hmm.....???

I'm thinking con job...

[edit on 16-12-2004 by Gazrok]

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
I wonder why the photo has the glare over the dog's face? Hmm.....???

I'm thinking con job...

See the other photos posted a little bit below that one.

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Yep, here's a better pic...

Thing is though, any puppy (chihuahuas included) usually has much bigger paws, etc. and is quite plump upon birth. In fact, a friend's pooch (chihuahua, and the mother of my two dogs) just had a litter after Thanksgiving, so I'm pretty familiar with them...

This is too small even to be a runt teacup chihuahua... Not to mention, the front legs look all wrong for that kind of dog. I'm thinking it's sculpture, not true taxidermy...but at least the second photo helps rule out photoshopping a bit.

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 07:28 PM
link   
that's not real, the dog is in the same stance throughout all the photos he just seems to move because of the shape of the dome, index of refraction causes this effect. If anyone has a pool in their backyard, their apartment complex they know not to judge the depth a pool - the visual effect we see is actually about only 1/4-1/3 the actually depth.

how does this dog survive inside the vacinity of a piece of sealed glass? no food, no air to breath, there's no 'waste' inside.

You can also see the shimmering shards inside.

faked.

[edit on 16-12-2004 by Aether]

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Aether, the poster points out that it is a taxidermy of the dog. This means it is a stuffed dead dog. Its possible it was a dead puppy or aborted unborn dog.

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 07:57 PM
link   
haha nice observation.

Agreed with above..doesn't look natural

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 08:19 PM
link   
img.photobucket.com...
That photo makes it seem like its a hell of a lot bigger than two inches. Its def a little dog tho, maybe a toy chiuahua or something?

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 08:24 PM
link   
I think the gentleman may have a point, there is a well documented history of such freakishly small creatures, if you look closley you will see the dog is infact quite genuine. The reason for my conviction in this matter is the alarming story of tiny cats in jars in New York. An alarming subject upon which i felt compelled to post a new thread on these wonderful forums which I have only tragicly all to recently discovered.

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 08:26 PM
link   
There is no way a dog can be that tiny!

That looks like a clay made thing or something fakish.

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 07:14 AM
link   
According to Dog Record Breakers:

"The smallest dog on record was a matchbox-sized Yorkshire terrier owned by Arthur Marples of Blackburn, England. This tiny creature, which died in 1945 at the age of nearly two years, stood 2 � inches tall at the shoulder and measured 3 � inches from the tip of it�s nose to the base of its tail. It weighed only four ounces."

(Thats about the size of a pet mouse!)

On the other hand, the Guiness book of Records have just declared the worlds smallest dog ever to be a long-haired Chihuahua measuring 7 inches long (The size of a smallish pet rat.)

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 07:36 AM
link   
As one that has worked with animals for 18 years, including Vet teching....I don't believe this, the tiniest dog on record, was indeed a yorkie, though the smallest breed is the Chihuahua......just for the record also...there is "no such thing" as a miniature yorkie, Shih Tzu, Pomeranian,...etc....I get these at work all the time
and people always come up with the ridiculous, "I have papers" crap....papers mean nothing. I can get papers on a bag of dog food if I have the names and the money. ALL pf the above mentioned dogs are "supposed" to be tiny....due to back yard breeding there are now 20 pound poms, yorkies ect...so now those that "do" sell the proper size ones, are tacking on an extra $ 200 or more and adding the "miniature" to the name. People don't research before buying a
pet...
We have people bathing their dogs once a week...a big no, no.....any "good" vet will tell you that a dog simply can not be bathed that often (unless they have a condition and it's a medicated bath for that condition)....we have domesticated them, but their DNA still sees them a wild animal and they need that oil in their skin...otherwise you can end up with one of those dry flaky scratching dogs when it's 3 or 4 years old....you "may" get lucky...but the odds are against it...or people that want their dog "dipped"...another thing a good vet or salon just won't do anymore. People come in saying there dog has fleas..."have you seen fleas"? Well, no.....but he/she is scratching.....
9 out 0f 10 times scratching is from over bathing or they are feeding cheap grocery store food..."or" food with that damn red dye in it......or that nasty Science Diet...grrrrr the only reason some Vets recommend it is because Hills give so heavily to the Vet schools....it's full of Chemicals!
Ok....I'm ranting now about how people do not research on their pets....sorry, I just see this day after day after day......and it burns my broomsticks to no end..
I'll go and shut up now...
I gotta get to work anyway

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Am I the only one seeing that this "globe" is not as what you buy for a Xmas decoration, that is on a shelf, but is actually on a hardwood floor?

I've re-surfaced floors of many old homes in my years that have floor slats 6" and wider. Taking in that aspect, that puts this 2" dog and the "globe" quite a bit larger, plenty large for this to be a taxed animal of a typical small dog LadyV and others have mentioned.

Misfit

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Good catch!

Now easy to see that this is definately a hoax.

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Looks like a hoax, as soon as I saw the pics I knew it couldn't be real, and as said above, it doesn't move 1 inch, and the head doesn't move at all from the first pic, usually dogs look around a lot, especially at the owner!

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 07:39 PM
link   
A chain on a little dog...
I don't like chains on any dog!

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nexus
Looks like a hoax, as soon as I saw the pics I knew it couldn't be real, and as said above, it doesn't move 1 inch, and the head doesn't move at all from the first pic, usually dogs look around a lot, especially at the owner!

Is it really that difficult for you to read? You're the second person who thought that someone was claiming this to be a living animal.

It's STUFFED. Of course it's not going to move!

[edit on 21-12-2004 by jeffthefish]

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Where did I say I thought it was living?

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nexus
Where did I say I thought it was living?

Are you implying that non-living dogs "look around a lot, especially at the owner"?

If you are, then nevermind.

[edit on 22-12-2004 by jeffthefish]

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Lady, I agree completely... people need to reaserch their pets ALOT more. I worked in a pet store... teh owner was a breeder herself. I never once saw miniature dogs come through the store, yet I've visited other stores and have seen miniatures that shouldn't be all over the place... even saw an Italian Greyhound labeled as a Miniature greyhound! WTF?!?

Now, as far as breeding... Lady mentioned it earlier (actually kinda hinted) that this could possible be a breed dog of some sort,.... it's quite amazing what happens to an animal's genetics after several generations of inbreeding... one rule of thumb, never buy a dog or any animal for that matter, that has a so called 'pure' family line... a mastiff purebred is ok, but check the family tree. Alot of breeders (especially, and almost always, "puppy mills") will breed the living daylights out of one dog... BAD! These poor animals suffer alot of the time from ailments that they shouldn't... it's wrong, really. This little pooch could've been just such a dog... from an over-bred line. It can happen... I mean, look at some of the inbred humans throughout history.

I'm not saying that I think this thing is for real or not... I'm just suggesting that there is an equally good chance that this is a real mount as there is that it is just a hoax. Personally I'd love to be able to examine the mount myself. I've seen some good "hoaxes", being from the wonderful state of the Jackalope. My dad, as a matter of fact, did an amazing mount of a jackalope. You have to be quite familiar with taxadermy to be able to find the seams. A skilled taxedermist could've easily used a hide from another animal to make this, such as any of a number of small ground-dwelling rodents.

Personally, I'd like to believe this to be the real thing, but who knows... there's no way to tell for sure without first-hand examination of the specimen.

BTW, photoshopping is out. No photoshopped pics here.

<<   2 >>

join