It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK TV Licence law, facts without BS, remember deny ignorance?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 05:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake
a reply to: ISawItFirst

I can understand the frustration you must feel regarding hidden fees and taxes associated with your monthly subscription. But please realise we also experience advertisements regarding our subscription based services. The licence fee is for BBC programming alone, nothing else. So why should there extortion schemes extend towards our subscription based services when ultimately they have little or no connection to the BBC?

Essentially what im asking you is why should the BBC get a slice of the subscription services pie that they did not bake in the first place?

Andy, I was under the impression that when you have SKY Virgin BT etc, that the BBC channels are included with the package, just as cable providers here give you the local antenna channels via the cable hookup, that's why I suggested that the License Fee should simply be part of your bill. Unless of course you requested your provider NOT include BBC programming.

So... is it illegal to watch ITV, channel4, and channel5 without paying a license fee ? Seeing as those are advertising-supported channels.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 06:10 PM
link   
a reply to: 8675309jenny

"So... is it illegal to watch ITV, channel4, and channel5 without paying a license fee ? Seeing as those are advertising-supported channels."

Its my understanding that you do not have to have a TV licence to view any of those channels. Only the BBC channels require you to have a licence. Even then its only if you actually view live TV.

Its simple extortion on a nation wide scale, nothing more, nothing less.

edit on 8-2-2015 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 06:17 PM
link   
The law is clear, it is a criminal offence to USE any device installed to record or watch any TV as it is broadcast live without a licence.
This covers all recognised TV channels in the UK, provided by Sky/Virgin/BT, terrestrial broadcast or streamed at the same time as the broadcast.
If ofcom.org.uk govern the broadcast TV then you need a licence to view it as broadcast in real live time.
If it's available online an hour or so later from a different stream it is legal without a licence.
It is why I have not had one for over a decade.

*Edit*
Having Sky/Virgin/BT TV installed has been enough to convict some folk but while it remains a criminal offence the court must find 'beyond reasonable doubt' so I imagine most convictions have been a guilty plea, or blatant 'in ur face' cmpaigning protester 'refuse to pay' folk when they got to court, with no appeal being chased. Personally I would go 'not guilty' because they will find no evidence that proves 'beyond reasonable doubt' that I have watched TV as broadcast live.
For that reason I question why the government are supporting making it a matter for the civil courts where 'on the balance of probabilities' is the standard of proof, instead of 'beyond reasonable doubt' as required in criminal courts.
Make your own informed choices though folks, the law is pretty clear, just be sure you interpret it correctly, civil and criminal.
edit on 8.2.2015 by grainofsand because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 02:42 AM
link   
To non British citizens iPlayer isn't free. UK citizens not paying their TV licence and using what ever pathetic little excuse they want ( I only each non British t v shows online or i don't watch it live or whatever) ARE perfect examples of what is wrong with the UK. As I said you are nowt but freeloaders sponging off your fellow citizens, there REALLY is no other way to describe it!
edit on 13-2-2015 by biggilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 03:11 AM
link   
a reply to: biggilo

No they are not.
They are if only watching live tv.

I don't pay for a licence because I don't use a tv and don't watch any live tv.
Iam not breaking any laws at all.
I had one letter and I sent one back explaing this and not heard from them since.
edit on 13-2-2015 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 03:17 AM
link   
2015 and people still wiggle out of their licence while the honest folk pay! I know you won't like to hear this because the truth hurts. So what if you don't watch live TV, you still watch it and listen to the radio, I.e using the amazing services the BBC provide but expect others to pick up the tab. Most normal people would be embarrassed at her than admitting to bring a sponger

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 03:22 AM
link   

I don't listen to the radio and only watch the odd documentary from the bbc normally on you yube.
I am not breaking any law.
I agree if people are watching live tv they should pay the fee.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 03:49 AM
link   
I have sky installed (sky don't grass you up to the bbc btw) and i refuse to pay my license fee.

Why, simply because i don't watch any of their programs and i don't listen to the radio, so why should i pay for something i don't want.

I couldn't care less if I'm breaking the law.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 03:57 AM
link   
i have one simple question for all critics of the TV licence :

how do you propose to fund the BBC in the absence of a TV licence ?

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 04:04 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

Ads...
I thonk it is a little unfair they hold the monopoly on ad free tv channels.
If the licence fee was shared out it would be more fair.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 04:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape
i have one simple question for all critics of the TV licence :

how do you propose to fund the BBC in the absence of a TV licence ?

Who cares.?
With hundreds of channels to chose from what does the BBC Matter. or do you think with the absence of the BBC all television with cease to be.?

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 04:22 AM
link   
The BBC has other income to fund programs. I doubt they allow other countries to rebroadcast BBC shows for free. BBC America has all kinds of commercials.

I always get a kick of out watching videos of people telling tv license people to booger off.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 04:23 AM
link   
Exactly, the BBC is no longer relevant as far as i am concerned.

I haven't watched any of their programs for years, in this age of multiple channels to chose from, the BBC is an aging dinosaur.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 04:37 AM
link   
For anyone seriously wanting to avoid paying a license fee Kodi (formerly XBMC) is worth a look.
Some of the content is 1080 60 FPS so no difference in quality as long as you have a computer with HDMI out and a decent internet connection.

Whilst poor students , we were on the receiving end of a TV license "investigation".

NO they dont have vans (their "technology" is to just knock on doors of people who aren't on their database of license holders).
NO the person who comes to your door and reads you the caution doesnt have any powers
NO you arent going to prison/getting a fine if caught ( assuming you havent bought a TV and provided the retailer with your details).

As long as you have sufficient funds to buy a license pronto in the worst case scenario ( dozy housemate allows them in for e.g) you just buy a license and smile at the fact you saved money before getting caught.

In terms of funding: my heart bleeds for the BBC; they made 200 million a while ago from sales of UK license paid for content in foreign markets....wheres the reduction in license fee to reflect their commercial ventures?

edit on 13-2-2015 by Jukiodone because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 05:17 AM
link   
So I can watch my 3 BBC commercial-free channels (they're a part of my satellite package) while you guys in the UK (homeland of the BBC) can't watch it without paying an additional tv license on top of your regular cable/satellite package ??

That's just crazy...

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 05:30 AM
link   
I wonder if Aung San Suu Kyi finds the BBC still relevant???
Watching BBC on YouTube is theft, so if your British not paying your licence and doing this you are stealing off your fellow countrymen, and your proud of this?
Foreign 'freeviewers' will have paid some other way the BBC licences their content out so that free view boxes in places like Canada can view it.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 05:36 AM
link   

What's a "free view box" ?

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 05:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: CranialSponge

What's a "free view box" ?
sorry, its a digital TV receiver. You probably have paid for the BBC in a round about method with your satellite/cable subscription

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 05:51 AM
link   

Ah okay.

I'm sure my satellite/cable provider pays some sort of fees to be able to transmit the 300 different channels to my receiver, which runs me just under $80/month.

So if I were to sit down and do the math, I'm estimating those 3 BBC channels are costing me roughly $0.25 per month each...

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 10:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: biggilo
2015 and people still wiggle out of their licence while the honest folk pay!
Some do of course, but as explained in the OP I do not use any device to watch or record TV as broadcast live. The law does not require me to purchase a licence.

I know you won't like to hear this because the truth hurts.
Which truth hurts? So some folk watch or record TV without buying a licence, I couldn't give a toss. Doesn't affect my life.

So what if you don't watch live TV,
It means that the law does not require one to purchase a TV licence, did you not read the OP in full?

you still watch it
No I don't, as I've stated many times.

and listen to the radio, I.e using the amazing services the BBC provide
Which does not require a licence, as stated repeatedly.

but expect others to pick up the tab. Most normal people would be embarrassed at her than admitting to bring a sponger
BBC radio and internet services are free and do not require a licence. Which bit of that confuses you?

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join