It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Try Some Jesus

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Ill be honest and say Im usually the 1st one to jump into god botherer threads and take a quick cheap jab at the OP but in this case I actually feel compelled to stick up for you haha.

You werent over the top, you werent to preachy and I could be mistaken but I think I sensed a sliver of lighthearted humour in the OP

I normally dont feel bad for my jabs as the other God botherers are usually out in force to back up their fellow indoctrainee (got my jab in
) but to see a whole 1st page of basically veiled attacks was a bit depressing.
I hate organised religion but religious people are usually OK as long as you dont get to deep into their faith and it seems your heart is in the right place.
For trying to do some good (even if it is under a religious mantle) I applaud ya.

All of that aside I find it kind of Ironic that with Heroine addicts when you suggest they "try some Jesus" it could be interpreted as getting them off of 1 opiate and onto another haha.

(You know, the whole "Religion is the opiate of the masses thing HAHAHA.... Stop rolling your eyes I reckon thats pretty funny)

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 07:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: cArLoSCuBsTaR

Imagine how mad he would be that everyone keeps calling him the wrong name! It would certainly piss me off. The fact that people who claim to believe in him can't get his name right speaks volumes on the mentality of 'the believers'

But hey, that's just semantics

There is truth in that statement.For someone believes the name is so important they have strained at a gnat and swallowed a herd of camels.
However saying the name “correctly is not the point it is not “knowing the name.A name is the nature and character of the person or thing named.Names have been and reduced to tags with the meaning eviscerated.The name Jesus is the English transliteration of the Latin Iesus of the Greek Iesous of the Hebrew Yahoshua(no one knows exactly how it was spelled then).However the root meaning of it means....Yah..Yahweh(the creator God) shua…is deliverance/salvation.

When the disciples (and even Yahoshua himself) said in the name of Yahoshua they were referring to the name(the creator God is deliverance)…that’s why they said IN(by the power of) the name(nature and characther).Christianity has turned the name into an incantation and many believe just saying the word is supernatural magic.That is the crux of the problem.Christians that believe “in the name of Jesus” believe in a magic incantation that isn’t truth.They invoke it and tag it on the end of their prayers because they have no idea what it means.It is just rote religious doctrines of men and has zero power or meaning.

They have in effect been blown up by their own petard.Many of them have a lifetime of proof they don’t know Yahoshua or the creator God at all.They only believe in their religions Jesus and the God they have made in their own image.That is the reason sensible people don’t respond positively to that rhetoric.They smell something rotten in Jerusalem.Reasonable people do not go around casting incantations and believing a God hears(and obeys) them when they do.

That is the true blindness.It is the only thing Yahoshua ever railed against.He never condoned one word the religious Jews said because he knew they had no idea at all who this God they invoked was.One of Yahoshua’s(the creator Gods deliverance) main function is to “deliver” mankind from their false belief of Religion…imperception.Yahoshua stated Yahoshua was the deliverance from Hades which means the realm of death and imperception.That is the GOOD news not the bad news of Christianity that unless you believe in Jesus you will be tortured for eternity in Hell on order of Jesus.

The truth is right in front of their face yet they can’t see it because they cannot know they are blind because they believe they see!Their religion isn’t what will save them but what they will be saved from! An atheist or agnostic may be blind but their eyes are open because they do not believe in a Jesus nor a false God.Those that believe in The Christianity of “Jesus will save you from hell” if you believe in Jesus... are blind with their eyes closed because they believe in a false God and the doctrines of men

The fact is the creator God is the deliverer. Yahoshuas main thrust of his statements(he was not teaching a method of religion at all) was fear not you ALL will be delivered from the realm of death and your imperception.THAT is the IN name of Yahoshua which there is no other name that is any greater.That alone is the very, very ,very Good News.

edit on 29-1-2015 by Rex282 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 07:18 AM
link   
a reply to: sweets777

I'd rather try some logic and rationality. It has gotten me further in life.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 07:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: sweets777

and boy if you could see the situation some of these young boys and girls are in .....jesus isnt a bad option .

I don't know very many people who get angry. I suppose that it happens. I do think that a lot of new agers have had experiences with disillusionment with Christianity or experiences where they were judged or well... harassed by Christians. I've been told that I was going to hell by Christians and my mother, who is Wiccan, has gotten far worse. She can be... defensive and even reactionary, but I don't think even she would come out swinging over your pithy catch phrase there.

For the record, I don't necessarily believe in the Jesus narrative but I like the story. I think it is valuable and powerful. It would probably be useful imagery and a comforting concept to many of these young people you describe. Besides, just because I don't believe it doesn't mean that I'm right. Your doing good things and if this perspective helps you and them than it is worth supporting.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 08:07 AM
link   
a reply to: lonesomerimbaud

In answer to your Paul question: I began to question some Christian Traditions that didnt "feel" right. Christmas being the big one. As the roots of Christmas unfolded, and I realized it was a "church sanctioned" pagan holiday, I simply had to question everything else.

I decided that the only person that would have the truth was Jesus himself. And I wanted to know what Holidays he celebrated and how he celebrated. That was the beginning of my search for the "real Jesus".

I tried to learn ancient Hebrew. I quickly learned, that I simply wasnt smart enough. haha. So, many levels of meaning. I would need several lifetimes. I began to listen to Scholars that I believe have no agenda except to reveal the ancient manuscripts to people. And things didnt add up for me.

Dont get me wrong, I really believe there is a "Holy Spirit" Spirit of Truth, Light, Love, "God". "He" is in everything, the energy of Life itself. I pray to Jesus, Yeshua. I believe the Spirit of Christ is alive. I believe in God.

In my opinion, the teachings in our modern Christian Churches are the "grandchildren" of the Catholic Church. Partly because we use the same limited material available in the "Canonized Bible". Personally, I think a person seeking "truth" should examine the books that were left out of the bible, meaning the dead sea scrolls, and the Nag Hammadi Texts among many others. These have been untouched through the centuries, and paint a picture of the early church, that barely resembles the one painted by Paul Peter and the Catholic Church. Most of the new Testament was written by Paul. For me, when I put him into Historical Perspective, I didnt want anything to do with a church he helped establish. This was my personal journey.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 08:32 AM
link   

I find it funny how mad people can get from just saying something as small as try some Jesus. It seems anytime you have a theological debate or just religion talk people can get so mad at the name of Jesus being said.

You're so right. I've never seen or heard of a Xtian going off the deep end at the mere mention of atheism, Wicca, LGBT. And they are always kind and loving in an open debate. Shining examples of our species they are. /sarcasm

thanks for proving my point it took two minutes for someone to come on here and call me a name sorry jesus makes you so mad lady

Now you're just looking to be offended. Hoping to be offended. Trolling.

and boy if you could see the situation some of these young boys and girls are in .....jesus isnt a bad option.

I grew up around these young boys and girls. What they need is not the arrogant, self-righteous, hypocrites that usually come down to the ghetto to evangelize the poor little ghetto heathens. They need some REAL answers. Some REAL help. When was the last time you took one of these young people under your wing, and gave them food, a shower in your own home, clothes from your own wardobe, money from your own pocket, and drove them around to help them get those things they need to get back on their feet?
NEVER! Right? Tell me I'm wrong. I'll be glad to hear it.

Instead. You want to convert the little heathens, indoctrinate them, and be all happy with yourself because you've managed to "save" another heathen. Then you move on to your next victim. I've seen the mentality in the church. Praise the Lord! Another feather in my cap. Jesus will be so proud of me. And while your praising god, those same people you conned, still need REAL help. NOT empty promises.
Here's something from your own bible...
James 2

15 If a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food, 16 and one of you says to them, “Depart in peace, be warmed and filled,” but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body, what does it profit?

edit on 1/29/2015 by Klassified because: ETA - Formatting

edit on 1/29/2015 by Klassified because: clarity

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 08:46 AM
link   
For a peoples that have such issues with same sex encounters and homosexuality, there is a questionably high level of Man on man love going on around here...

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Thanks, I did, best thing I ever did.
I would recommend others give it a shot, whats to lose?

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 09:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: SkippyBalls

try some Jesus.

Gimme a dime bag.

JUST SAY NO!

I know it's hard to say "NO!" to "some Jesus", but in time, it gets easier and easier! I promise, IT GETS BETTER!

And don't forget, we're here, on ATS to help you when you're feeling weak!

@JUST SAY NO!

edit on 29-1-2015 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 09:21 AM
link   
I always like how these Christian self-help organizations never see how they are preying on addictive personalities when they're setting up "clinics" to help drug addicts etc.

Replace one harmful addiction with another!

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Question will be "Which Jesus" should I aim to try

The fictional Jesus created by the old Christian movement or the real Jesus that lived, loved married and procreated as a human being.

edit on 29-1-2015 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 09:24 AM
link   
a reply to: windword

JUST SAY NO!

But I am weak and powerless myself and I need something to fill the void......

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 09:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: sweets777
a reply to: Jamie1

thanks for proving my point it took two minutes for someone to come on here and call me a name sorry jesus makes you so mad lady

you know you just actually took the bait and proved what they posted at least the arrogance part.

No one called you names but made a general statement and you took it as being directly at you, you didn't say anything but wrote words and posted them so I guess you argue you are saying things on the internet but saying to me is speech and you didn't put a video up of you saying it, you just posted it.

Oh and finished it of with a condescending "lady".

Well done Man.

People become mad when debating religion because that is the purpose of debating it instead of simply believing.

No one must debate their beliefs.

Hmmmm I tried some Jesus and yes he was sweet, my interpretation of him that is.

Have you tried some Muhammad or any other favors?

They all taste the same to me so I eat like a king I guess, flavors from all over the world.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 09:37 AM
link   
I tried Jesus.....didn't like it.

I don't get upset with any religious people unless they try to push it on me. If I want it, I will ask for it. The biggest mistake religious folks make when dealing with non-religious, is opening with religious jargon.

Personally I don't care for any religion....none of it works for me, and they can't all be right.....yet they all claim they are right.

Unless you are willing to speak about ALL religions, and can do so in a intelligent manner, then I don't think it should be brought up at all....problem is that most that are super religious have nothing else to talk about than religion, and typically it is only their religion.

I look at most religious zealots (by zealot I mean those that can only speak about their religion) as fairly under-educated or not cultured in most ways. They are blind to the world just as their religion teaches them to be blind to anything but their religion. The are close-minded about it, and I tend to stay away from close-minded people.

So, yeah....tried Jesus....wasn't for me.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Is there anyone in the Western world that hasn't had Jesus offered to them or tried it? It seems a group comes to my door at least twice a month on Saturdays offering me some Jesus.

I know there are a thousand different flavors of Jesus, but I don't need to try every single one of them to know it isn't for me. Have you ever gotten tired of seeing the same commercial being played over and over on TV? Well, if you have just imagine that same commercial being played your entire life and tell me if that may become a bit annoying.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 11:13 AM
link   

there are tons of records from historians that lived at the time he did and right after theres alot of evidence

lol
No. There isn't.

Try some library.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

I really wonder sometimes if the people that make those claims are purposely lying or if they honestly have no clue about their own religion. It is kind of hard to believe a member of ATS selling Jesus hasn't read a thread on the historicity of Jesus yet, although he is new. Boy is he in for a suprise.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 11:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi
Is there anyone in the Western world that hasn't had Jesus offered to them or tried it? It seems a group comes to my door at least twice a month on Saturdays offering me some Jesus.

I know there are a thousand different flavors of Jesus, but I don't need to try every single one of them to know it isn't for me. Have you ever gotten tired of seeing the same commercial being played over and over on TV? Well, if you have just imagine that same commercial being played your entire life and tell me if that may become a bit annoying.

You make an interesting analogy.

Most people who say, "Just try Jesus," follow at some point with, "Now give me some money so I can go get other people to try Jesus too."

Trying Jesus has made Vatican City very wealthy.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 11:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

Boy is he in for a suprise.

...and a rude awakening. He probably has no idea he just joined a site that has an atheist/non-religious majority.

edit on 1/29/2015 by Klassified because: eta

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: ManFromEurope

Good approach on a difficult problem!

No. I was a substance abuse counselor in the urban core also - I had a youth group that sprung up nearly by itself (one of my clients asked for it). We met every week, and within a couple of months, we had more than a dozen youngsters.

I NEVER brought up "jesus", because it's useless and counterproductive. I taught the kids how to recognize their inner urges and to find healthy ways to get their kicks (like climbing towers, amusement park rides, and other NON-substance activities.)

Too many preachers prey on the most vulnerable. MANY MANY prisoners "find Jesus" when in prison. Do you (the OP) think you are the first one to come up with Jesus as a solution to a crap life? Are you not aware that 12-step programs have been doing the exact same thing for DECADES?

Jesus is nothing but a concept - if the OP really wants to help those youths, he needs the skills to teach them how to think FOR THEMSELVES.
How to problem-solve, how to identify their triggers and their unmet needs. THOSE are the things they need help with. Not 'some Jesus.'

Give me a break. It's not him 'being loving', it's him trying to make himself feel special. The LAST thing those kids need is someone preaching at them.

As so many others have said - kick one addiction by jumping to another - that's fine - try some knitting. Try shooting some hoops. Exercise. Learn how to play guitar. Draw superheroes. Learn photogrpahy. Try writing a story.

Stay away from Jesus addicts. They're just as weak as heroin addicts. It's unhealthy.

edit on 1/29/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: Sorry - was talking about the OP when I said "you". Excuse me, ManFromEurope.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join