It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Likely Cause of Addiction Has Been Discovered, And It Is Not What You Think

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Not surprising.

Drugs are most often used as a way to escape your reality. The worse the reality, the more an escape is desired.

Actually I don't think this needed study whatsoever. Common sense and logic would suffice.

Peace

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 04:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: pteridine

Yes and I never understood how people thought drugs made them feel good. I just don't see it myself.

It's the start, the first time that can last years, the rush in the new thing.

But it quickly goes away and then you are left with the addiction, and can't find the way it was in the beginning.

Any addict will say they made a bad choice, but the start was fun(happy), if they speak out.
edit on 23-1-2015 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Great thread and it actually makes sense. Another thing, when a person does drugs sometimes, they consider themselves inferior to their piers and keep taking the drugs. Someone who is in a rut will stay in that rut till someone helps them out of it. All they need is someone who takes their mind away from the drugs.

This does not apply to some people, some people actually want to be messed up and you cannot easily change someone who does not want to change. Just the ones that down deep want to change.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Take this from someone who has been there, done that. Happiness and satisfaction in life does not prevent drug abuse. For some people, it's a family thing. Their parents did drugs in front of/around them, they were desensitized to it and therefore didn't think twice when given their chance to pick up the needle/pipe. For others, it's something you sort of fall into. It might start from peer pressure at schools, it may simply be that you have the opportunity and the means to do something, so you do it. How about an employee gets injured at work, at home, or anywhere and gets a chronic injury requiring the use of opiate painkillers on a daily basis. After a while of this, they will become dependent no matter how responsibly they take their medication. Then you have the people who self-medicate to attempt to heal damage done either to their body or psyche that they don't feel safe reaching out for help with. Let's also notice that rats do NOT have the same social pressures and situations that humans do. Go into a heroin rehab, or any drug rehab and tell them "When a rat has everything, they don't use drugs!" and see how much help that gives someone in the throes of a life-threatening addiction.

I could go on and on listing the reasons people start down the path of substance abuse, but I hope that you can see from my small list that there is no ONE reason people abuse drugs. It can happen to anyone, anytime, anywhere. This is NOT restricted to low income areas, "poor" people, or those who are already at the bottom. Teens and adults who come from financially stable homes can just as easily become sucked into the cycle as any others. As someone else has already mentioned, many celebrities who had it all (as far as money and lifestyle go, cannot speak on personal happiness) became addicted to and died from drug abuse. This might be as simple as Lots of Money + Easy Access = Overdose death. It could go deeper than that, but I don't really think you need to.

As far as "weak-minded" and "immature", I'm sure there are a lot of drug users like that in the world, but there are also a lot of NON drug using people like that. If you aren't emotionally developed or don't have a strong sense of independence does NOT mean you are going to become a drug addict or fit some sort of stereotype that says you will.

It's easy to put people who have troubles in their own little category/corner of society, label them and wag your finger at them because they are easy targets. Their troubles are out in the open and in most cases are being "self-medicated" by the drug user. Can you say that you've never done anything wrong in your life? Just because your dark corners are well hidden from others doesn't give you the right to judge. Who was it that said, "He who cast the first stone"?
edit on 1/23/2015 by Ensinger23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 04:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ensinger23
Take this from someone who has been there, done that. Happiness and satisfaction in life does not prevent drug abuse. For some people, it's a family thing. Their parents did drugs in front of/around them, they were desensitized to it and therefore didn't think twice when given their chance to pick up the needle/pipe. For others, it's something you sort of fall into. It might start from peer pressure at schools, it may simply be that you have the opportunity and the means to do something, so you do it. How about an employee gets injured at work, at home, or anywhere and gets a chronic injury requiring the use of opiate painkillers on a daily basis. After a while of this, they will become dependent no matter how responsibly they take their medication. Then you have the people who self-medicate to attempt to heal damage done either to their body or psyche that they don't feel safe reaching out for help with.

I could go on and on listing the reasons people start down the pass of substance abuse, but I hope that you can see from my small list that there is no ONE reason people abuse drugs. It can happen to anyone, anytime, anywhere. This is NOT restricted to low income areas, "poor" people, or those who are already at the bottom. Teens and adults who come from financially stable homes can just as easily become sucked into the cycle as any others. As someone else has already mentioned, many celebrities who had it all (as far as money and lifestyle go, cannot speak on personal happiness) because addicted to and died from drug abuse. This might be as simple as Lots of Money + Easy Access = Overdose death. It could go deeper than that, but I don't really think you need to.

As far as "weak-minded" and "immature", I'm sure there are a lot of drug users like that in the world, but there are also a lot of NON drug using people like that. If you aren't emotionally developed or don't have a strong sense of independence does NOT mean you are going to become a drug addict or fit some sort of stereotype that says you will.

It's easy to put people who have troubles in their own little category/corner of society, label them and wag your finger at them because it's easy. Their troubles are out in the open and in most cases are being "self-medicated" by the drug user. Can you say that you've never done anything wrong in your life? Just because your dark corners are well hidden from others doesn't give you the right to judge. Who was it that said, "He who cast the first stone"?

One has to be either stupid or weak to use hard drugs. It isn't like people don't know the effects and results of drug use. Who has not seen the zombified crack or meth head? I can't put it on anything else but stupidity that some people will even expose themselves to drugs like that. yes, I'm being harsh, but I just can't wrap my head around why anyone would put that stuff in their body knowing full well what it does to you. It isn't like the media is tricking people by showing sexy crackheads in movies or anything like what was done with cigarettes.

yes, these people need help. However, I stand by my opinion they are weak.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 04:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

If you have no experience with these things, why do you feel obligated to put your views out there at all? Are you here just to "waggle your finger" and look down your nose at those less fortunate?

Sure, some people do it because they know what will happen and don't care. Others aren't so lucky. They were either pushed into doing it and became addicted that way, or something similar. Realize that there are lots of ways for people to get hooked and "stupidity", while one of them, isn't the main factor.
edit on 1/23/2015 by Ensinger23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 04:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Ensinger23

I have no experience with it because I am not stupid enough to do it. I don't need to smoke rocks to know it is bad for you just like I don't need to break my leg to know it hurts.

This is a discussion board. People discuss things and people have opinions. Sometimes we disagree, sometimes we agree. I respect your opinion, but I stand by mine that people who do drugs are weak, stupid, or both. At some point, we can argue the addiction is a disease and the drugs become physically necessary as someone mentioned above. However, I again stand by my point that you have to be pretty weak or stupid to even try hard drugs the first time.

I've had friends who drink till they fall out. Smoke weed like a chimney and god knows what else. Even while I am with them partying, at no point ever in my life did I feel obligated to partake in that nonsense even while they may have called me lame for staying straight.

I've seen my share of toothless methheads and crackheads who will suck you dry in a back alley for $5.00 to know anyone who even thinks using those types of drugs could be "recreational" are weak or stupid.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Sounds like you have a problem to me. Maybe you didn't use drugs, but you seem to get your "fix" by running your mouth and talking down to people. I have never met a happy person that felt the need to belittle others.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 04:49 PM
link   
a reply to: TKDRL

I just call it like I see it. Truth hurts sometimes. I am happy as can be.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Thanks OP. This actually makes quite a bit of sense from personal experience. I've known many addicts myself.... Unfortunately a few DID NOT make it. It makes me sad to this day. It is 110% ABSOLUTELY A DISEASE. A disease that can be treated in multiple ways. Addicts are not losers or society's throw outs! They are human beings with a very serious condition. A condition as serious as cancer or heart disease. Just my 2 pennies.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 05:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
a reply to: Ensinger23

I have no experience with it because I am not stupid enough to do it. I don't need to smoke rocks to know it is bad for you just like I don't need to break my leg to know it hurts.

This is a discussion board. People discuss things and people have opinions. Sometimes we disagree, sometimes we agree. I respect your opinion, but I stand by mine that people who do drugs are weak, stupid, or both. At some point, we can argue the addiction is a disease and the drugs become physically necessary as someone mentioned above. However, I again stand by my point that you have to be pretty weak or stupid to even try hard drugs the first time.

I've had friends who drink till they fall out. Smoke weed like a chimney and god knows what else. Even while I am with them partying, at no point ever in my life did I feel obligated to partake in that nonsense even while they may have called me lame for staying straight.

I've seen my share of toothless methheads and crackheads who will suck you dry in a back alley for $5.00 to know anyone who even thinks using those types of drugs could be "recreational" are weak or stupid.

You are a wise man sir... Not!!!! Wisdom come from EXPERIENCE with a given subject. You obviously lack that. I'm sure you know the saying about opinions.

You sir need to spend a bit more time "out there", it is NOWHERE near as simple as you state(or think)! Keep going on through life thinking you're the "smart one". It's called Karma.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 05:29 PM
link   
a reply to: purplemer

A good point made but does make you think about those that have everything and yes having everything does not make you happy inside but when someone has everything and has a loving caring family too but then still turns to drugs. You have to ask yourself, are humans just greedy or maybe just attention seekers.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 05:36 PM
link   

S+F
I am fairly certain this does not work the same with meth.

eta
we could also begin to argue that happiness is also an addiction itself along with food and toys. It all cost money and reward. perhaps the answer is that we should all grow our own drugs and keep it all natural. The work and reward does seem to be a good system. Everything is an addiction?
edit on 23-1-2015 by deadeyedick because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 05:55 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 05:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: SpaDe_
It should also be taken into consideration that not everyone's perception of the " plain cage" is the same. One persons "plain cage" might be a run down apartment in a bad part of the city, while another persons might be a nice house with a white picket fence in the suburbs. I think it has more to do with the sense of being trapped in a situation or unhappy with a situation, and the substances are the temporary escape.

This is without a doubt exactly what I think in terms of happiness in relation to certain vices. It's a mindset thing and has to come from within, even if it is something legal like smoking, overeating or gambling. If one feels trapped they will do odd things that still somehow seem to give them comfort even though those activities are doing quite the opposite in the long-term.

BTW, star for you mate

edit on 23/1/2015 by comfortablynumb because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 06:27 PM
link   
I'd agree quality of life is most definitely a large part of the problem. Financial/career anguish would be another big reason also.

People use drugs to try and make themselves feel better. The main reason behind drugs (depending on which drug) is to literally make you feel better. Broke your arm? Here's some painkillers. Feel depressed? Here's some anti anxiety/depression pills. Got a headache? have an Ibuprofen.

People who are in any kind of pain take drugs. It's just that simple. If you want a society of people who rely less on drugs for whatever reason, you need to have a population of healthy, and happy citizens. Until then, drugs abuse will forever be a problem for certain people.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 06:39 PM
link   

My life can´t be that bad, van it .

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 06:50 PM
link   
So people who have issues, emotional problems or are trapped, depressed or otherwise unhappy may become addicted to drugs??
Wow - hold the front page.
How is this 'not what you think' ?

This is pretty much exactly what we know about why people start using and get addicted to drugs.
Recreational & 'fun' drug use aside, pretty much all addicts are using for a reason and to medicate.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 07:26 PM
link   

One has to be either stupid or weak to use hard drugs. It isn't like people don't know the effects and results of drug use. Who has not seen the zombified crack or meth head?

That's actually pretty ignorant. Crack has no addictive properties other than "it makes you feel good," (I would explain, but my explanation would violate the T&C).

Psychological addiction is not a real addiction, it's a joke. While that may help to reinforce your opinion regarding addicts being weak (which, in the case of a person being "addicted" to crack or weed, I agree) physical addiction does exist, and there are drugs that do cause it.

A person that faces genuine, physical addiction is not weak.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 07:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
In a different thread about addiction, I said that its not the substance, its the person using it.

A need for the drug is more powerful than the drug itself, in the beginning.

Once hooked, the drug is in the drivers seat. The addict is just a passenger along for the ride.

How do explain the huge percentage of heroin addicted vets who simply stopped when they went home? Obviously, they, not the drugs, were in the driver's seat.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join