It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seal Found in Field Miles from Coast

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 07:55 AM
link   
I just saw this little gem on the BBC - Seal found in the middle of a field in the St Helens area

The sea mammal was discovered in a "distressed state" by a dog walker close to Newton Brook near Newton-le-Willows, police said.

Officers "contained" the grey seal and the British Divers Marine Life Rescue Service will put it in a crate and release it into the River Mersey. It is unclear how the seal got to the field but it was found about 17 miles (27km) from the nearest coastline.

There's no way to say how big a seal this is. They can weigh over 300lbs and be a tough old job to be moving them around, especially when they average a length of nearly 8 feet. Smaller ones can be 120lbs which a couple of people could manage. If she was wide awake, it'd be one hell of a challenge to move it. Then there's the question of why?? These aren't your typical unwanted pets so it's not like little Timmy's pet got too large for the bath and was fly-tipped.

Maybe we have a great example of a Fortean incident? Maybe the only one with the answers is the poor old seal and she ain't for talking.

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 07:58 AM
link   
gonna have to think about this.
have not been able to come up with a solid reason why someone would put the effort into moving a seal 17 miles from the coast.

+5 more 
posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 07:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Grovit

alcohol is the reason behind most things

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 08:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Indigent

he would have to be pretty wasted to wander 17 miles from the water to pass out

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 08:00 AM
link   
I can't see it "walking" that far, so maybe a nearby river?
It may have got disoriented and swam up. Or, some moron who thought they could capture and keep one as a pet, but didn't realize what they were in for.

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 08:01 AM
link   

I know the area and it's not a great place. I can't conceive how a seal would even be accessible to people there. Likewise, if some drunken prank got out of hand, seals aren't like store dummies; they'd put up one hell of a fight.

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 08:04 AM
link   

edit on 22-12-2014 by Indigent because: Oh i get it now, im not slow its just that is cold out here...

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 08:05 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

No rivers nearby. There's a canal, but there are locks every few miles and impossible for a seal to pass. Of course, it could have flopped its way out, waddled past the locks and plopped back in again, but by then we'd be into a plot from PIXAR or Disney!

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 08:06 AM
link   
The seal may have taken a cab.
Come on people, think a little bit.
When you are wasted and need to go 17 miles... you wouldn't walk all that way.

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 08:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

even if it made its way into a canal, to get to that patch of land i would think it would have to be pretty close. a few feet or yards im thinking.

theyre not the best land movers and it would take them a lot of energy to move miles away. i dont think they could do it.
not unless they had days to get the job done.

someone had to move it but i cant figure out why.
i know people pull drunk pranks but moving a couple thousand pound seal would be a chore sober

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Before letting her go in the Mersey river, it would've been interesting to see if she'd been sedated. It's a populated place and folk would notice a group of eejits struggling with a bellowing seal.

If she'd been tranqed, it's just as intriguing! Who, what and very much why???

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Are they sure it's not a toy! Does anyone (in the UK) remember the toy tiger?

www.bbc.co.uk...

If's it's real (which it look like) then it would have swam up a river and got disorientated.

Regards

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 08:16 AM
link   

even sedating that thing would not be easy.
i dont think you can just walk into wal mart and get a tranq kit.

wouldnt you need sufentanyl or something like that?

seems like an awful lot of effort for no obvious reward

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 08:17 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

Read the damn article!

It was a live seal that they crated and shipped back to the River Mersey. There's no way they overlooked it being a dummy seal. Likewise, look at a map of the area - no rivers, just a canal a mile or so away.

I blame Charles Fort!!!

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Yeah, this is my whole point. Whatever angle we come at this, it's friggen bizarre.

If it was April, we'd just call it a practical joke by the BBC. If it was some other website, I'd still call BS on it.

It's a peculiar incident...currently a mystery.

ETA - I wonder why the image is copyrighted by 'Cheshire police?' That's possibly a sign that it's a hoax. St Helens and Newton Le Willows are just inside of Merseyside and miles away from Cheshire.
edit on 12.22.2014 by Kandinsky because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Two cows were standing in a field and one said to the other. "Have you heard about that mad cow disease?" And the other cow replies "I'm a walrus."

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 08:23 AM
link   
a reply to: weirdguy

2 snowmen in the same field. One says to the other, 'Can you smell carrots?'

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 08:34 AM
link   

A vacationing penguin is driving his car through Arizona when he notices that the oil pressure light is on. He gets out to look and sees oil dripping out of the motor. He drives to the nearest town and stops at the first gas station.
After dropping the car off, the penguin goes for a walk around town. He sees an ice-cream shop and, being a penguin in Arizona, decides that something cold would really hit the spot. He gets a big dish of ice cream and sits down to eat. Having no hands he makes a real mess trying to eat with his flippers. After finishing his ice cream, he goes back to the gas station and asks the mechanic if he's found the problem. The mechanic looks up and says "It looks like you blew a seal."
"No no," the penguin replies, "it's just ice cream."

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 09:07 AM
link   
The seal doesn't look huge compared to the items around it.....so maybe it got sucked up in a water spout or bad weather and carried inland. A good strong tornado can carry cows and heavy items miles.was there bad weather there lately?

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Easy explanation. The seal was abducted by a UFO and was dumped there after the experiments. The aliens forgot it was a water mammal and put it back in the sea. That is the most logical reason.

<<   2  3 >>

join