It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas Officer Shoots, Kills Mentally Ill Man Holding a Spoon

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Police allege that Grigsby was holding a “metal object,” and approached the officer “aggressively.” The officer claims that he commanded Grigsby to stop, but Grigsby ignored his commands, forcing the officer to fire one shot into his chest, killing him.

texas-officer-shoots-kills-mentally-ill-man-holding-s poon

It happens all over the country. I can say that if i were the officer i would have shed some light on the situation but with all these killings i am starting to think that spiritually some people no longer want to be here. The case does add to a long list of questionable shootings. Unfortunatly beynd the scope of spirituality and some looking to be gone from this place there is no reasonable answer to these instances where these types of lethal actions happen. Either way spoon vs gun the gun wins again.

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: deadeyedick

here we go again

Officer Brent Lawing responded to a 9-1-1 call about a burglary shortly after 2:00 a.m. and found Grigsby in a “dimly lit” garage on the property. Police allege that Grigsby was holding a “metal object,” and approached the officer “aggressively.” The officer claims that he commanded Grigsby to stop, but Grigsby ignored his commands, forcing the officer to fire one shot into his chest, killing him.

“It appeared the suspect was holding an item, with the bowl of the spoon in his palm and the shank of the spoon coming out from the bottom of his hand like someone would hold a knife,” according to Sergeant Aaron Brower with the Texarkana, Texas Police Department.

i know.
the guy was sick. he would never hurt a soul. the cop is lying. it didnt happen that way

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 04:33 PM
link   
man-with-mental-health-problems-sh ot-dead-by-police-while-wielding-spoon-video

Here is a different link with more info

edit on 20-12-2014 by deadeyedick because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 04:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Grovit

shove your bs somewhere else cause nothing of the sort has been said here
yet...

if you read and understand the whole story then you will see that your comments seem out of place and only point the op in a direction that it was not heading. Thank you for your thread profiling.

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Why shoot him in the chest?

Even if they come charging with a knife, fire a warning shot or aim for the legs FFS!

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Calling the stem of the spoon the 'shank'? Seriously?

And cops have, lets call it creative, report writing and that is rather known.

What is walking in an aggressive manner?

Again, at the end of the day we have a cop that decided to shoot some one that had a SPOON.
Very deadly I am sure.

We can go into what if's all day, but the fact of the matter is he had a spoon and the officer shot him over it.

Obligatory why didn't they use the taser question as well.

One positive thing, there was only one shot fired.
edit on thSat, 20 Dec 2014 16:44:28 -0600America/Chicago1220142880 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 04:41 PM
link   

settle down sport
its my opinion

you mean this bs?

The woman pleaded with the dispatcher for officers to hurry and get to her house as she could hear the man banging on the doors and windows from outside. Then, just before police arrived, she told the dispatcher that the man had made his way into the garage.

or this bs

t something.” According to accounts by the responding officers, when they arrived at the home, they found a man in the garage holding a 7-inch metal object which appeared to be a knife. The man began to move at the officers in what they described as an aggressive manner and commands for him to stop went ignored. The man, still grasping the metal object, continued to advance towards the officers and ignore their commands so one officer shot him a single time in the chest.

edit on 20-12-2014 by Grovit because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 04:41 PM
link   

the guy was sick.

Yes.

he would never hurt a soul.

Maybe.

the cop is lying.

Not statistically impossible.

it didnt happen that way

Only two people can answer that...
Shame one of them is dead.

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

in garage with poor light how are they supposed to know it was a spoon

i guess they are supposed to assume the guy that was just trying to break into a womans house is mentally ill and comes in peace.

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 04:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skaffa
Why shoot him in the chest?

Even if they come charging with a knife, fire a warning shot aim for the legs !

the most asked and answered question on these boards.
people must still be confusing real life with movie land or something

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 04:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: deadeyedick
you will see that your comments seem out of place and only point the op in a direction that it was not heading. Thank you for your thread profiling.

comment was perfectly placed.
just using the past history of responses to these types of threads to get a jump on it.
and youre welcome

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 04:52 PM
link   

So ya the cop guessed it was a knife and was wrong.

That is the point, shoot first ask questions later is not how to deal with people.

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 04:52 PM
link   

I'd agree with you if he was running at the officer.

At walking pace, I'm not so sure people can use that "it's not Hollywood" excuse.

Aren't police trained in shooting moving targets?

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 04:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grovit

settle down sport

its my opinion

you mean this bs?

The woman pleaded with the dispatcher for officers to hurry and get to her house as she could hear the man banging on the doors and windows from outside. Then, just before police arrived, she told the dispatcher that the man had made his way into the garage.

or this bs

t something.” According to accounts by the responding officers, when they arrived at the home, they found a man in the garage holding a 7-inch metal object which appeared to be a knife. The man began to move at the officers in what they described as an aggressive manner and commands for him to stop went ignored. The man, still grasping the metal object, continued to advance towards the officers and ignore their commands so one officer shot him a single time in the chest.

yes that was my point.
2am trying to raise windows in tx this is always the end result. That was what i was getting at in the op cause it is common knowledge this is what happens by home owners or by leo during the witching hour. Again to me these people want out of this life and just look for scenerios like this one. Even the mentally ill know these things happen here. Let's be clear he was not mentally retarded just ill as per the op.

judging by your thread profiling and knee jerk response to the thread you would make a deadly cop

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 04:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

no no.
give commands to stop and drop it, then shoot.

charlie, there have been many links thrown out into many threads which show stats and research that proves a person with a knife can still bury it in you from 21 feet away.
before you can draw your weapon.

im sure they had their weapon out already but are they supposed to assume the person that just tried to break into a house is holding a spoon, or a knife when it looks like a knife?

it says he had the spoon end in his hand.
had it been a knife, and the cop didnt shoot he could have wound up with a chest full of blade.

i dont know if they are trained at shooting moving targets.
i dont think they have to qualify that way but i am not sure.
i am sure one of our resident cops/weapons experts will be along eventually to explain it better than i can

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 04:59 PM
link   

then we are on the same page.
since we are on the same page i obviously y comment was not geared to you.

as you can see though, the 'why not shoot him in the leg' and such comments have already started so i was not wrong

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 05:00 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

Short answer: no.

@sremmos: at what range in a dimly lit garage is it possible to determine that a metallic object that resembles a knife blade is not actually a knife blade, but a spoon handle? Obligatory Taser answer: do we know the officer had one in the first place?

@skaffa: there's actually an entire thread that answers this question, along with a myriad of comments in numerous other threads
edit on 20-12-2014 by Shamrock6 because: Obligatory answers and such

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 05:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Well neither of us know what the lighting actually was so would be hard to answer that.

The issue I have is that a man holding a spoon was shot over manufactured fear.

@grovit

had it been a knife, and the cop didnt shoot he could have wound up with a chest full of blade.

But it wasn't it was a spoon so what is your point?

If we insert facts into that equation I guess he gets a chest full of spoon.
Again, very deadly I am sure.

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Sometimes a spoon is nothing to mess around with ya know.

You could take a wild spoon to the chest or eye and you're totally forked!!

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Yeah I've no complains about the spoon appearing like a knife, pal.

I'd assume it's standard procedure to stop the threat.

I'm just curious as to whether a well trained officer could attempt a leg shot on a slow moving target.
If the first two shots miss then switch to the chest.

That's just my opinion though.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join