It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Article: Study Supports Theory That “Men Are Idiots” – Wait… What?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 01:53 AM
link   
Now imagine if it was geared towards denigrating the other sex....

An article was recently published in The BMJ (formerly known as the British Medical Journal), which states that men are more idiotic than women. Yes, this is a real journal. Yes, this is a real article. The BMJ is an international peer reviewed medical journal. The journal is published by the BMJ Group, a wholly owned subsidiary of the British Medical Association.

So. What the heck?

Some notes before we begin: The findings were reported on a host of sites—NPR, Washington Post, Time, and a many others. It was also published on Phys.org. Now, some may argue that this is a perfectly fine study, that it is a bit of tongue-in-cheek. And sure.

However, phys.org claims to be the “leading web-based science, research and technology news service.” Now, scientists can be funny. But science writers also have to take some responsibility for what they report. So when a science site posts an abstract without noting how flawed the findings and methodology are, we have a problem.

Goes farther into the problems with this "study".

Now, maybe I am the one who is an idiot here, but if there have been no actual studies, if you are just relying on fictional stories from a cartoon book to support your theory, I am going to go out on a limb here and suggest that this is not an actual theory. At least, not according to science. A scientific theory “consists of one or more hypotheses that have been supported with repeated testing. Theories are one of the pinnacles of science and are widely accepted in the scientific community as being true.” If there have been no studies; it is not a theory. End of story.

Full article found here

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 02:05 AM
link   
They needed a study to figure this out???!

Sorry, couldn't resist

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 02:16 AM
link   
a reply to: HarbingerOfShadows

Well cause us guys are pretty dumb, just ask most women

It does seem like a pretty strange study tho.

Oh and is the op about the study or about what would happen if it wasn't about men.
Just want to stay on topic

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 02:23 AM
link   
a reply to: HarbingerOfShadows

Not so long ago everyone had their roles. Today every man is portrayed as being Homer Simpson.

Women were women, men were men and kids could get smacked from adults for acting up without a call from SS.

Now fast forward to our "modern" mindset where women can serve in combat and I've never seen so many girly men around as there are nowadays it seems. I pass by the nail shop going to get a haircut and there is just as many guys in there getting manicures as girls.

In fact, I'll go out in public and see some women be blatantly rude and talk down to their men. I saw a guy in the grocery store the other day who was begging....I mean literally begging his wife to let him buy the orange juice without the pulp in it. She looked at him and told him NO and waddled her big arse down the aisle while he hung his head in shame and followed behind her like a whipped puppy. It was easily one of the most pathetic things I've ever seen in my life. I know if I want some juice then I pick that mofo up and put it in the basket and thats all there is to it if you're a man.

And why is it always some great big fat hog of a woman that are the meanest to their men? Thats what I don't understand, especially when they're putting up with her crap like that and she's not even a little bit hot....

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 02:25 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 02:36 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 02:42 AM
link   
I think what you find with these researchers conclusions is the problem with empiric evidence, which does not take into account less evident "soft science" like psychology.

From my point of view, yes, males tend to have more drive towards risk taking than women, as a whole.
But, risk taking, (even if the act serves no purpose in ways an observer can ascertain) it has clear psychological benefit in terms of self image, self confidence, self awareness.... the act of facing potentially dangerous situations and coming out alive frees up tons of energy by the psyche- "if I can make it through this crazy and scary antic, then I can make it through the crazy and scary act of leaving my parents home and facing the exterior world of employment" for example.

Our modern culture and society doesn't offer much in terms of "real" threat- like natural predators, or lack of survival necessities, so many actions that don't even threaten life take on a bigger intensity in people minds. Paradoxically, the more you have, the more fears accumulate. Fear of losing face, fear of losing money, fear of losing control, replace the instinctive fears of losing ones life.

As a mother of boys, and wife of a man, whenever I observed my loved male ones being blocked and enchained by fears, I sought out ways they could undertake other risks, and knock down those walls. My husband was afraid of flying in planes, I bought him a ride in a fighter jet (and it became his biggest passion afterwards!). My son had all sorts of fears of facing society and independence- I got him a parachute jump. My youngest son was facing the fear of leaving home and going to college- I got him a bungee jump.

Any person who has undertaken such "useless" actions knows the rush of confidence and joy that follows, and how motivating that can be. But that is not something that is really taken into account in a cold and "objective" research context.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 02:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

Well cause us guys are pretty dumb, just ask most women

You know, that comment alone illustrates exactly what is the problem with society these days.
I hope it was meant tongue in cheek.

It does seem like a pretty strange study tho.

It's not really a study at all.
Why it was published in a scientific journal and has subsequently been reported on as "proving" male idiocy is beyond me.
But I have my theories.

Oh and is the op about the study or about what would happen if it wasn't about men.
Just want to stay on topic

Well, there would be howls of outrage and more than a few calls for the author's proverbial *and literally as well I'd bet* heads if it was something like "Study Supports Theory that Women are Lazy Gold Diggers".
And for good reason.
That is if it was even published.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 03:19 AM
link   
This thread is sexist and needs to go away. Playerone01, no; get a life.
edit on 12-14-2014 by TruthLover557 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 03:28 AM
link   
Hmm....defend man, or insult woman.......

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 03:36 AM
link   
a reply to: TruthLover557

This thread is sexist and needs to go away.

How so?

edit on 14-12-2014 by HarbingerOfShadows because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 03:37 AM
link   
a reply to: 3u40r15m

I would prefer to defend both.
But I know, I'm strange.

Should be noted, I'm not attacking or insulting "women" here.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 03:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Cancerwarrior

And why is it always some great big fat hog of a woman that are the meanest to their men? Thats what I don't understand, especially when they're putting up with her crap like that and she's not even a little bit hot....

the answer is quite simple.....she was the one paying.....

and to the OP....what a stupid waste of time...really!! this has been studied...omg....and we wonder why our society is headed backwards

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 03:44 AM
link   
Well of course men take more stupid risks than women , that's part of their makeup.
To take more risk. Just some people are stupid about it.
It's a storm in a tea cup and some like to stir up ****** .
1%

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 03:47 AM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

So you are assuming that every fat woman that acts like a b**ch is justified becasue she is really making the money?

Then there must be alot more money making fat women around than I previously thought.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 03:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: projectbane

originally posted by: violet
They needed a study to figure this out???!

Sorry, couldn't resist

Well we all have to resist saying certain things....like are all women "slutty self obsessed sperm cups"

I'm not actually saying they are but i just couldn't resist!!

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 04:03 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 04:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cancerwarrior

So you are assuming that every fat woman that acts like a b**ch is justified becasue she is really making the money?

Then there must be alot more money making fat women around than I previously thought.

just an observation based on your story.....how many men do you know that would act like that in that situation ?...an example would be if he had any money he would pick up the damn juice and buy it himself.......unless of course she ruled with an iron fist and 2 types of juice were not allowed in the house....do you see where i am going with this ?

but now that has been addressed ....what on earth is up your mindset.....?....what with the fat reference?...what difference does it make what size a woman's ass is ?...what the hell does ass size have to do with making money ?

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 04:12 AM
link   

just an observation based on your story.....how many men do you know that would act like that in that situation ?

Too many.

but now that has been addressed ....what on earth is up your mindset.....?....what with the fat reference?

Its an observation of mine that really fat women are most often the ones that are unneccessarily domineering to their men. Maybe your observations are different.

what the hell does ass size have to do with making money ?

I dunno, you're the one that brought up that point.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 04:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Cancerwarrior

Too many.

fair enough

Its an observation of mine that really fat women are most often the ones that are unneccessarily domineering to their men. Maybe your observations are different.

yes they are

I dunno, you're the one that brought up that point.

actually no you brought up the point with this statement from your previous post to me :

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join