It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ubuntu 14.04LTS Drivers Help

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Not for nothing, but with your system - Linux Mint Mate 17.1 would probably be a much better fit for your specs and would run quite a bit smoother.

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 02:37 PM
link   
After a couple days of using Ubuntu 14.04LTS and even switching back to Gnome I decided that with my system specs it would be better if I installed Lubuntu instead. It's really night and day compared to Ubuntu and I haven't had any freezing yet, even while trying to push the system.

The only issue I have is playing streaming videos. Youtube on the actual youtube site is fine, but if there is a youtube video say on ATS there will be a slight lag to it while watching. Vimeo is absolutely terrible, it seems to only play the video every 3 seconds. There are a few other sites/video players with the same type of problem.

I'm using firefox which has flash and I've installed lubuntu-restricted-extras. I've tried using Midori but that doesn't really work at all. Not sure what the problem is.

Seriously thanks to anyone who has or will help me, there's definitely a steep learning curve when dealing with Linux.

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 08:01 PM
link   
a reply to: cavedweller88

I used Peppermint OS on my netbook for years, really liked it or Linux Mint XFCE might also be a go-to, if you haven't tried those yet you should give them a go in a Live USB. I liked them better then Lubuntu and Peppermint is just as light. In any case, it's always fun to experiment with distros.

edit on 20-12-2014 by CoaterieSlips because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 07:08 AM
link   
If the systems just for a bit of fun then get as much of the source code down as possible and compile your own kernel, quite often theres a lot of defaults set that you won't need and you'll probably have a tighter core using less resources but the problem is that keeping everything to the latest releases can be a right pain as something may depend on a kernel option you've disabled. Now i aint done it for many a year as most systems these days don't suffer the resource problems for the average user but it used to be able to save a good bit of memory when you don't need to support all sorts of old stuff

top topics

<< 1   >>

join